Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
Sal329
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Sal329
Lexus G300/400 vs Infiniti G35?

Looking at a 98+ GS 300/400 or a 2004 G35. I like the 400 cause the V8 power, but I also like the 300 and G35 cause the potential of turbo with the motor. I know the GS400 can be turbo'd but its too pricey. I am looking to a nice highway cruiser, a car thats fun to drive, prefer a door car. Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
Re: Lexus G300/400 vs Infiniti G35?

G35 weighes less than the GS400 and about the same I think as the GS300...if not slightly less

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

i'd take the G35, it makes almost as much hp as the GS400(an 05 G35 makes the exact same amount), weighs a good deal less, and can come 6 speed.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

My mom owns a Lexus GS 300 that I drive quite a bit, and it's a pretty nice car, but too smooth and quiet for my tastes. I like her boyfriend's Lincoln LS V6 better. I've never driven a G35, but I'm sure it's much more sporty than the Lexus GS, especially with a manual transmission. If you're just looking for a highway cruiser, though, I can't think of a better car than the Lexus GS, particularly the GS400.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Nasir4dot6
AF Newbie

Red face GS anyday esp. 400

While the G35 is a nice car with plenty HP. I'll even say that its sportier. That's where the comparison ends. The Lexus, even though is an outgoing model still looks fresh. Way sexier. More luxurious. More reliable. Smoother ride, though that may not be to some peoples tastes. Better resale value if you later on get tired of it. By the way did I mention roomier interior. Keep in mind this is coming from a Range Rover owner. I'll also tell you I was not always a fan of Lexus cars. I have to say they are well built and give you alot for your money. I always favored European cars and have driven many but realize Japanese luxury cars are right there and stay out of the repair shop and on the road. With that said I'd have to give Lexus the edge as they despite what many may argue are on par with Benz and BMW.

EZ
Old 02-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Re: GS anyday esp. 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasir4dot6
While the G35 is a nice car with plenty HP. I'll even say that its sportier. That's where the comparison ends. The Lexus, even though is an outgoing model still looks fresh. Way sexier. More luxurious. More reliable. Smoother ride, though that may not be to some peoples tastes. Better resale value if you later on get tired of it. By the way did I mention roomier interior. Keep in mind this is coming from a Range Rover owner. I'll also tell you I was not always a fan of Lexus cars. I have to say they are well built and give you alot for your money. I always favored European cars and have driven many but realize Japanese luxury cars are right there and stay out of the repair shop and on the road. With that said I'd have to give Lexus the edge as they despite what many may argue are on par with Benz and BMW.
1)You say that the Lexus still looks fresh...by that you mean that the G35 is not? I think the G35 looks great now w/those new wheels and w/the sport package and wing...it looked great

2)Way sexier? Opinion...the G35 in pearl white, blood red, or black...oh my...truly sex on wheels.

3)More reliable? Where's your proof...?

4)Better resale if you get tired of it? Oh I bet you will get tired of it...lol.

5)Course it has a roomier interior...it's BIGGER!!!

Old 02-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
TatII
AF Fanatic

i mean you really can't compare a 8 year old soon to be obsolete GS series to a almost brand spanking new G35. however i will agree that a GS is better looking then a 4 door G35 since those do look kinda iffy. but still if it was a G35 coupe, i would take it in a heart beat. esp the 05's with the new interior, and 20 more hp, along with nice staggered 19 inche wheels from the factory along with a 6 speed. i've driven a few GS's and i admit that their interior is very nicely put together, but they don't even have a manuel shift mode, let alone a standard tranny. the newer G35 have actualy aluminum in their dash, and has changed the interior quit a bit to look better then even the GS's (starting to look dated) dash.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:54 AM   #8
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

On my mom's '03 GS 300, and the auto has a manual shift mode. But yeah, the lack of a manual tranny sucks.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
Nasir4dot6
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Re: GS anyday esp. 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISSANSPDR
1)You say that the Lexus still looks fresh...by that you mean that the G35 is not? I think the G35 looks great now w/those new wheels and w/the sport package and wing...it looked great

2)Way sexier? Opinion...the G35 in pearl white, blood red, or black...oh my...truly sex on wheels.

3)More reliable? Where's your proof...?

4)Better resale if you get tired of it? Oh I bet you will get tired of it...lol.

5)Course it has a roomier interior...it's BIGGER!!!
While I definitely respect your opinions on the G35 and you make valid points.

1. I must say at no point did I discredit the G35 as it is a Hot looking car. I was just saying that as the 2nd generation GS is an older car it still looks fresh.

2. As far as GS reliability in compaison to the G35 I don't need to include "proof in a forum post. I'm not writing a thesis or a NY Times article. It's just my opinion that I'm expressing based on my experience as friends and relatives who own both. Nothing scientific just a general observation. And if you would like to research Lexus vs. Infiniti reliability please feel free to do so.

3. As for resale value, I said that because that is a factor to me and others in this world (one of the reasons I may never buy an Audi no matter how beautiful they are.) I don't keep my cars forever and when I do move on from them I expect something in return from them.

4. "Course it has a roomier interior...it's BIGGER!!!" my point exactly the original reason for this post was to comapre and contrast 2 beautiful cars. And yes the GS is bigger and guess what....some people like that.

In addition I do feel that the latter model GS cars all should have been equipped with the Tiptronic tranny.

EZ
Nasir4dot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: GS anyday esp. 400

Quote:

2. As far as GS reliability in compaison to the G35 I don't need to include "proof in a forum post. I'm not writing a thesis or a NY Times article. It's just my opinion that I'm expressing based on my experience as friends and relatives who own both. Nothing scientific just a general observation. And if you would like to research Lexus vs. Infiniti reliability please feel free to do so.
well, you never said "i think" or "in my opinion", you just flat out said the lexus is more reliable, which, unless you have do have proof of, i don't believe. no it's not a thesis for the NY times, but if you're gonna just come out and say things like that you should have some way to substantiate your claim. I've personally seen 3 VQ powered vehicles running strong, well into the 150,000+ mile range, one i owned, one actually ran to 255,000 miles before the timing chain snapped. i wouldn't put one car's reliability above the other, either vehicle properly maintained will last a long time. if you make a claim and expect anyone to believe it, the burden of proof is on you.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #11
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: GS anyday esp. 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
well, you never said "i think" or "in my opinion", you just flat out said the lexus is more reliable, which, unless you have do have proof of, i don't believe. no it's not a thesis for the NY times, but if you're gonna just come out and say things like that you should have some way to substantiate your claim. I've personally seen 3 VQ powered vehicles running strong, well into the 150,000+ mile range, one i owned, one actually ran to 255,000 miles before the timing chain snapped. i wouldn't put one car's reliability above the other, either vehicle properly maintained will last a long time. if you make a claim and expect anyone to believe it, the burden of proof is on you.
Amen.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #12
Nasir4dot6
AF Newbie

I'm pleased to read that you have driven and or owned a car that went well over 200K miles, personally I have no desire to to own any car that long, for so many reasons (or do you need proof and substantiated reasons for that). As for your tone regarding my posts, I am clearly posting my opinion nothing more nothing less. I am not obligated to do anything further. I like to think the concept of any forum whether about cars women sports or politics its to post your thoughts and opinions. As a society we all have different thoughts and takes on subjects, and thats what makles it great. I don't feel I have to attach a disclaimer saying the following post is the an opinion of Nasir. That should go without saying as I just explained. But I thank you all for your opinions and thoughts and replies. That's what makes any forum great. Again this particular thread was created to ask an opinion comparing G35 vs. and GS. And to be quite honest why you are so "defensive" regarding Nissan and their products. At no point did I diss them or they're cars. I just like this particular Lexus model over that particular Infiniti. Is that okay? Are you a Nissan shareholder?? Your alligence is great but are they giving you these cars for free? Relax it's a forum. Peace

EZ
Nasir4dot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #13
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm pleased to read that you have driven and or owned a car that went well over 200K miles, personally I have no desire to to own any car that long, for so many reasons (or do you need proof and substantiated reasons for that). As for your tone regarding my posts, I am clearly posting my opinion nothing more nothing less. I am not obligated to do anything further. I like to think the concept of any forum whether about cars women sports or politics its to post your thoughts and opinions. As a society we all have different thoughts and takes on subjects, and thats what makles it great. I don't feel I have to attach a disclaimer saying the following post is the an opinion of Nasir. That should go without saying as I just explained. But I thank you all for your opinions and thoughts and replies. That's what makes any forum great. Again this particular thread was created to ask an opinion comparing G35 vs. and GS. And to be quite honest why you are so "defensive" regarding Nissan and their products. At no point did I diss them or they're cars. I just like this particular Lexus model over that particular Infiniti. Is that okay? Are you a Nissan shareholder?? Your alligence is great but are they giving you these cars for free? Relax it's a forum. Peace
Amen.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #14
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

you're right, after re-reading that i did kinda jump down your throat a lil bit. my bad. however i do still hold my contention that neither vehicles reliability should be a determinging factor. you appear to have ignored the last few sentences of my response though becuase i wasn't trying to say infiniti is superior to lexus, i was just stating my experiences with the engine series that is equipped in one of the vehicles being discussed. your opinion came off as if it was common knowledge and i just don't agree. debates happen in forums all the time, especially one based off comparisons, just because you have the right to state your opinion doesn't mean it's immune to contradiction.

Last edited by BP2K2Max; 02-27-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
mwk2009
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Lexus G300/400 vs Infiniti G35?

Wife BOUGHT a M35, certified, w/30K miles, virtually showroom condition. Previous two vehicles were BMW 645 and MB 500 - so no stranger to quality built vehicles. Drawn to Japanese luxury because of available features, reliability and quality. Noted some Infiniti complaints online at Edmunds were mostly w the AWD model (see "tramlining" - very serious issue the company won't cop to), and the G seemed too small. At nearly the end of the 1 hour drive home from dealer, she suddenly heard a loud screeching sound and power steering FAILED. This was just after a very dangerous and winding stretch of 2-lane road. Luckily, only a few miles from home, by that time, she muscled the car into a parking lot from which it was towed back to the dealer. Dealer had a 72 hour money-back pledge, which we took advantage of. Apparently, a bolt had worked its way free, from a belt tensioner, causing the power steering belt to fling itself off. Had this occurred a few miles a few miles prior, the results could have been tragic. We are now looking at a Lexus G300 or a Mercedes C300 or 350. Would not consider Infiniti, because at 30K miles, nothing like that should have happened. Take this for what it's worth.
mwk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons