Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Spendoc
AF Newbie

loss of power

I have a 99 svt contour. Under light or heavy acceleration the car kinda jerks and looses power for a second. I've change the fuel filters and used fuel injector cleaner but its still doing it. So if anyone knows the problem please write back.

Thanks,
Spencer
Spendoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Jason43
AF Regular

Re: loss of power

Probably the fuel pump, which is a very common problem on the 99-00's. If the problem gets better when you fill the tank up, thats the problem.

1999 Ford Contour SVT
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
fastasshell
AF Newbie

look at your wiring under the hood and see if any of it has any cracks or missing any coating on the wires. because if so you may have the same problem that i had with my 95 contour 2.5 v6. and if you need a wiring harness you are going to be mad as hell ! it's only $7.65 dollars just for the one harness. but they all need to be replaced because if one's bad then you can bet on the rest of them being bad. i think someone said in another post that they had to pay out about $1200 for the whole 9 yards. or you can do what i did. i said to hell with that and just took out all of the wiring harness.took them in the house and splice the harness form plug to plug with new wire. and that's how i fix my problem. but before this the car had a mind of it's own.the first thing was the brake light's fuse. it blew every time i put a new one in. then the car had a rough idle and then the jurking while driving. i had enough of that for one day. but when i took out my wiring harness i found that it had about 8 wire's coroded in half. so after doing that the problem was gone.
fastasshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasshell
look at your wiring under the hood and see if any of it has any cracks or missing any coating on the wires. because if so you may have the same problem that i had with my 95 contour 2.5 v6. and if you need a wiring harness you are going to be mad as hell ! it's only $7.65 dollars just for the one harness. but they all need to be replaced because if one's bad then you can bet on the rest of them being bad. i think someone said in another post that they had to pay out about $1200 for the whole 9 yards. or you can do what i did. i said to hell with that and just took out all of the wiring harness.took them in the house and splice the harness form plug to plug with new wire. and that's how i fix my problem. but before this the car had a mind of it's own.the first thing was the brake light's fuse. it blew every time i put a new one in. then the car had a rough idle and then the jurking while driving. i had enough of that for one day. but when i took out my wiring harness i found that it had about 8 wire's coroded in half. so after doing that the problem was gone.
Only 95-97 and early model years of 98 V6 Contours were affected by cracked wiring harnesses and recalled (99MO3).

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
sick svt
AF Newbie

hello did you do any of these things they suggested my contour svt does something like that about 3000 rpm it falls flat on it's face and seams to power up and down contantly through acceleration. so i'm open to any suggestions thanks.. mike
sick svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #6
sick svt
AF Newbie

hello i was wondering if you tryed any thing, my car does the something like this ,about 3000 rpm during acceleration it falls on its face and powers up and down. it taks about 7 to 10 sec to tack out at 7000 rpm from the 3000 rpm point but doesn't do it all the time so i know ther is a deffinet problem.please let me know.thanks mike
sick svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
lisafere
AF Newbie

clean out the air intake or better yet get a race car builder to do it
fixed mine when ford said to junk it.,,good luck.
lisafere is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour