Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #76
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: A new noise coming from engine compartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by olopezm View Post
........... Over here most men can't even change a flat tire. .....................
I know what you meant ... you meant "change out a wheel that has a flat!" My new SL was disbelieving when I said I could remove and replace a tire on a wheel rim.... using hand tools. I had then to demonstrate it. All it takes is a rubber hammer, toolmakers hammer and various "spades" and "spoons" ... tire tools. Big arms help. And patience.

That was a few years ago ... and years before that, I lived so remotely that being able to change out tires was a necessity. Farm life, so to speak!

About AutoZone tests.... I find them as good as the technician.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 12Ounce For This Useful Post:
olopezm (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #77
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_saati View Post
No, because at higher rpm the lifters operate faster and make more noise.
Whoops! That's strike number two, or was it number three? I've lost count already LOL.

Quote:
Yes it would be safe.
Thanks serge. At least I can maneuver a littler with it until I can actually fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
I know what you meant ... you meant "change out a wheel that has a flat!" My new SL was disbelieving when I said I could remove and replace a tire on a wheel rim.... using hand tools. I had then to demonstrate it. All it takes is a rubber hammer, toolmakers hammer and various "spades" and "spoons" ... tire tools. Big arms help. And patience.

That was a few years ago ... and years before that, I lived so remotely that being able to change out tires was a necessity. Farm life, so to speak!

About AutoZone tests.... I find them as good as the technician.
Sounds like funny times back then!

Well, if any of my neighbors (males and females) has a tire low on air, they will drive until somebody tells them they have one; people around here just don't realize it.

Same thing applies for flat tires. They'll end up stranded at the side of the road until somebody else helps them. General consensus around here is "if it starts drive it, if it doesn't try the other car or call somebody", plain and simple.

I kept the battery on slow charge with a trickle charger. Checked with my DMM and showed 12.6 volts; decided to take a look at the plates and 3 of them have dark stains on them... Looks like it's gonna be a long way until the place I bought it from accepts the battery is bad and has to be exchanged with a new one. I've the same problem over the past years; every single battery I get will develop problems within one year form new. The only thing that keeps me returning is the warranty, I don't want to pay for a new one when this things should be working!.

I talked the guy from the autoparts store about the oil pressure gauge tester and told me it should be here next week, so I'll have to wait until then.

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #78
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Hi guys, it's been long since the last time.

So I went to get my newly arrived oil pressure gauge tester just to find out they shipped a DAMN fuel pressure tester! I specifically told the guy I already had one and ask him not to do that mistake... Well, now I have to wait until they get the correct one.

In the meantime, I started the windstar during last monday (had been sitting in the garage) in order to maneuver the Town Car out of the garage; during that moment I could tell the rattling sound coming from the engine at cold temperature. It was kinda like a diesel engine (I know about the upper intake baffle, which I already glued long time ago) so... you were definitely right Serge; the noise is present at all times.

Since things expand with heat and with the overheating background of this vehicle, I'm definitely leaning more towards a faulty timing chain and not the lifters.

Looks like I'll be needing to get my mind ready to tackle this tedious work LOL.

Oscar.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #79
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Hi guys, it's me again...

I was shopping for some parts for my uncle's car when I thought I would ask how much would a new timing set for my windstar would cost. The guy quoted me with ~$50 dlls. For the chain, tensor and both sprockets.

I was thinking "if I have a rattle noise at cold and rattle+tapping noise when hot, and I'm waiting for a $30 oil gauge to arrive (if it arrives); why not just skip all that and get the new set, install it and hope for the best?"

As I've mentioned before, the engine was overheated and rebuilt twice, chain was not replaced (at least not the second time). Do you think I should just go with that? What else would I need during the process?

Thanks,

Oscar.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #80
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

I'm 99% sure it's the chain but it still worths to wait for the oil pressure gauge to test the pressure.
serge_saati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serge_saati For This Useful Post:
olopezm (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #81
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Thank you very much Serge,

I'll wait a little more until I get an answer from the store, the guy didn't provide an estimated time of arrival.

In any case, I can't afford it right now LOL.

Oscar.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #82
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

Because your oil pressure light never lits, and the noise is constant with rpm, I will say it's safe to go with the timing chain and forget the gauge.
olopezm (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #83
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Thanks serge,

I got a call form the store and the guy said the oil gauge might arrive later this week, I hope it does. If not, then I will just tear apart the engine to access and replace the timing chain, tensioner and both sprockets; if I find anything else is bad during the process I'll have no other option but to replace it.

As always, I really appreciate your/any input.

Oscar.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #84
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with opening up the front of the engine to have a look ... especially on a high mileage engine. But I would not expect much wear on the chain drive ... unless the engine has seen some very poor oil service, and then one can expect a lot of wear throughout the engine. I did a light rebuild on my 3.8 at 216k thousand, I could not detect any significant chain wear ... and I know what to look for. The same engine is now at 350k miles and I would bet the chain wear is still not very significant.

Now don't get me wrong ... things can happen. Chain guides can break. Chain tensioners can break. Both would cause a loose chain and noise. Therefore an inspection is certainly in order. But I would not assume anything before having a look.

If this were a Nissan four cylinder engine, or a Ford Duratec engine, I would be more suspicious of cam chain condition. Or if the engine has been rebuilt.

But in any case, an inspection will hopefully reveal the noise maker.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #85
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Thanks 12Ounce.

Well, as I said before, this same engine was REBUILT TWICE due to overheating. I don't remember if we replaced the timing chain back then, but I would surely say we didn't. Another important thing that I didn't mention before is that this vehicle SAT FOR NEARLY 4-5 YEARS until we decided to fix the transmission and use it.

When we took it to the mechanic (which was close to where it was stored) I asked the guy to change the oil and filter; after discovering lots of "details" that the mechanic left unattended, I can almost say that he only changed the filter and not the oil...

All this factors might have contributed to the problem, what do you guys think?

I might start this work next week, don't know. But will surely take a look before buying anything, I don't want to waste money at this time.

Thanks,

Oscar.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #86
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

I was watching some videos and I tripped with this one; now that I pay attention to the engine noise, it sounds pretty much like my windstar's ! I'm even more confident that this might be a problem with the timing chain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeO3-2vknPQ

Thank you very much guys, I really appreciate all of your comments.

Oscar.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #87
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Hello guys! It's me, the nightmare, again... Lol

I've been procrastinating on this for a very long time, the windstar's been sitting since. On monday I told myself "to hell with it" and decided to take it to the mechanic for a diagnostic.

He says it really seems to be a problem with the valvetrain and suggested to run some engine cleaner to see if it goes away.

I know I'm just being stubborn but still would love some input if you have something to say about it.

As always, thanks in advance.

Oscar.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #88
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Engine cleaner is totaly useless. I don't know why he said that.
If the noise is coming from the timing chain, it's the timing chain. If you want another advice, ask another mechanic to look at it. Cause the noise of valvetrain is similar to timing chain, so the guy should have very good ears to confirm the source of the noise.
2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1L OHV (sold)
2004 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L DOHC manual (sold)
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L OHV (sold)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC (sold)

A Windstar without having the check engine light is not a real Windstar.

olopezm (01-20-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #89
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

As I had mentioned before, Duratec engines had a rash of chain tensioner issues. Now that I realize your 3.8 has been rebuilt ... it dictates that a front end inspection is in order for sure ... to include the oil pump and oil pump drive shaft. And there may be some pulley loose on its shaft ... rocking back and forth.

I agree, engine cleaner will accomplish nothing ... its time to twist some wrenches!
The Following User Says Thank You to 12Ounce For This Useful Post:
olopezm (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #90
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Engine cleaner is totaly useless. I don't know why he said that.
If the noise is coming from the timing chain, it's the timing chain. If you want another advice, ask another mechanic to look at it. Cause the noise of valvetrain is similar to timing chain, so the guy should have very good ears to confirm the source of the noise.
Thank you very much for your time and patience Serge, I appreciate it.

The place looked serious, I know I don't trust mechanics, but this time it seemed like the real thing LOL. You never know...

As suggested before, I will just replace the timing chain, tensioner and sprockets for peace of mind; the last thing I want is for any of them blowing during engine operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
As I had mentioned before, Duratec engines had a rash of chain tensioner issues. Now that I realize your 3.8 has been rebuilt ... it dictates that a front end inspection is in order for sure ... to include the oil pump and oil pump drive shaft. And there may be some pulley loose on its shaft ... rocking back and forth.

I agree, engine cleaner will accomplish nothing ... its time to twist some wrenches!
Thanks 12Ounce I appreciate your input too.

Oil pump and shaft inspection? Do you think it would be a good idea to just replace the pump? on't know if the shaft comes with out (don't think so) or if they even sell it.

Pulleys are OK, I inspected them several times before, even replaced the tensioner's as it was starting to grind.

I've gathered enough mental strength to tackle this job; I must say that I've been very hesitant to perform it, it's so tight in there that I just don't like it LOL.

Oscar.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar