Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
Re: A new noise coming from engine compartment

WTF where did that last post come from? planetoffice? Darn spammers... Would somebody please delete it?

Anyway... I just got back from test driving it and NOPE, the noise did not go away. It's still there under the same circumstances.

I'm back at square number 1; what would be the next step? I know I already asked, but since the LTFT1 is a bit rich, could it be an exhaust leak causing the noise?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #32
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Hey scubacat, when the tensioner went in yours, was it wobbling?

How did you decided it was bad?

Oscar.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #33
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

So I've been hunting for an oil pressure gauge tester but no store stocks it at the moment and autozone does not have it for rent, that really sucks... I asked a friend if I could borrow his but says it's broken, tell me about bad luck!

I'm kinda getting frustrated about this noise, it makes me really nervous to think that it might be a problem in the valve train, I'm not sure if I could deal with that in the tight space I have.

Anybody thinks this could be a problem with a stuck/collapsed lifter?

I'm also considering the idea of a bad water pump, there's been some rattling noise for some time now in the engine compartment, it also seems to come from the drive belt area; in fact I posted a video about it in the forum some time ago.

I'll give it another try and see if this time I can spot where the noise is coming from with a screwdriver.

Any other thoughts that I could try in the meantime?

Oscar.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #34
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

A screwdriver sometimes works ... sometimes you need a semi-rigid plastic hose ... I borrow the hose from wife's small vacuum cleaner for this task.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 12Ounce For This Useful Post:
olopezm (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #35
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Well, just got back from driving "the nightmare"...

Drove all the way and back with my cheap scanner connected with moderate to heavy traffic and temperature never went above 192F with A/C on and 210 with A/C off. I even left it idling for a while and temp never went higher than that. That surely gives me peace of mind as I now know it's not overheating at all and water pump should be OK.

Here's the IMPORTANT STUFF. I found where the noise is coming from; as soon as I got into the garage I noticed the noise, grabbed the screwdriver and started sticking it at every component within reaching distance... nothing. When I finally crawled under the engine I held the screwdriver against the OIL FILTER ADAPTER and surely THAT'S WHERE THE NOISE COMES FROM. Now I can say it's a CLICKING NOISE.

I don't know what's causing it, but since the oil pump is rotating, it should make something more like a whining/grinding noise; oil pickup screen should cause some similar noise since the oil pump is starving. That leaves me with a noisy anti-drain back valve in the motorcraft oil filter.

I certainly don't know what's causing it, I've never heard of one before. Maybe I just got a defective filter? Im guessing I should just replace it?

Has anybody heard of a similar situation like mine?.

Oscar.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #36
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

You should certainly try a new filter ... but the noise may be in the primary oil pump check valve/pressure relief valve ... which is built into the front cover. Quite an important little spring loaded affair. Its a wonder that it lasts so long normally.

I replaced the one in my '99 when I gave the engine a light over-all ... just to see what it looked like.
olopezm (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #37
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Thanks 12Ounce,

I'll replace the filter. I wonder how hard it was to replace the check valve and what's involved? I'm guessing the oil pump has to come off?

Oscar.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #38
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Oscar if the noise does not stop with a new oil filter, (what brand is on now Oscar) could it be possible that the camshaft syncronizer could be bad and the noise is transmitting thru oil pump to filter????

What is your thought oscar and 12Ounce?

Just a thought.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempfixit For This Useful Post:
olopezm (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Removing the timing cover is quite a chore on this beast. I really hope that's not your problem!
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scubacat For This Useful Post:
olopezm (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #40
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
Oscar if the noise does not stop with a new oil filter, (what brand is on now Oscar) could it be possible that the camshaft syncronizer could be bad and the noise is transmitting thru oil pump to filter????

What is your thought oscar and 12Ounce?

Just a thought.
Thanks tempfixit,

The one currently installed is a Motorcraft filter, bought at the dealer. It's very funny because we've used crappy FRAM filters amongst others and never had a problem and this is the first time I ever use a motorcraft filter and BAM! ticking noise present... Scubacat, definitely you're not the only one with bad luck!

I'm not totally sure but, if the synchro is the thing coming out from the block between the water pump tube and intake manifold, I held the screwdriver against it (thinking of your previous advise) and it doesn't makes any noise. In any case, a bad synchro would be better than the pressure relief valve .

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubacat View Post
Removing the timing cover is quite a chore on this beast. I really hope that's not your problem!
I googled it and man! If I was scared about a bad water pump, this thing makes me want to go back to kindergarden. I don't know if it's even possible to do it with the engine installed but with such a tight space it would definitely be easier to just remove the entire engine from the vehicle. I really hope it's not the problem.

Thank you guys!

The noise seems more pronounced towards the oil filter rather than the adapter, so I'm confident a new filter should take care of the problem.

I say it would be too much coincidence to replace the oil and filter, and the relief valve starts to fail; specially when it was working fine the day before and I don't think a different oil viscosity would cause it to fail, at least that's what I think but since I've not much experience I might be wrong.

Oscar.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #41
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Oscar harbor frieght has a oil pressure gauge that you could order online, they are fairly cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-...kit-98949.html
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempfixit For This Useful Post:
olopezm (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #42
Windstartled
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olopezm View Post
Hey scubacat, when the tensioner went in yours, was it wobbling?
Not sure if scubacat replied to this but fwiw when the tensioner in my van started to go bad it began by making bearing noises occasionally but at first it, or more specifically its pulley, did not wobble. When the noise became permanent the pulley shook and wobbled all the time, at which point I replaced the tensioner, after which the noise and wobbling vanished.

The noise is more of a rattle but also has squeal undertones, it was extremely annoying.
1995 BMW 540i 4.0L V8 - Weirdest car ever owned
Windstartled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windstartled For This Useful Post:
olopezm (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #43
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

IIRC, the pressure relief valve is captured by the oil pump housing which is bolted against the front cover. In theory, the front cover does not have to be removed ... just the oil pump. But I'm not sure that removing the pressure relief valve is possible with the liimited work space ... it may be possible, but I had mine on the work bench.

Removing the entire front cover with the engine in place is indeed a task! I've done it but I would not wish it on anyone!
olopezm (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #44
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
Oscar harbor frieght has a oil pressure gauge that you could order online, they are fairly cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-...kit-98949.html
Thanks man, I might order one along with other things; unfortunately I have no idea how much I'll have to wait until it's shipped and passes through our customs agency to be finally delivered at home. A guy in Sears told me he might be able to order one for me from the warehouse, I'll see what he has to say before I order anything from harbor freight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windstartled View Post
Not sure if scubacat replied to this but fwiw when the tensioner in my van started to go bad it began by making bearing noises occasionally but at first it, or more specifically its pulley, did not wobble. When the noise became permanent the pulley shook and wobbled all the time, at which point I replaced the tensioner, after which the noise and wobbling vanished.

The noise is more of a rattle but also has squeal undertones, it was extremely annoying.
Thanks, well I had the bearing noise (before the first pulley replacement) but no squealing and the serpentine belt does not seems to loose tension while the engine is turning. Don't know if the spring can go bad before there is any noticeable movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
IIRC, the pressure relief valve is captured by the oil pump housing which is bolted against the front cover. In theory, the front cover does not have to be removed ... just the oil pump. But I'm not sure that removing the pressure relief valve is possible with the liimited work space ... it may be possible, but I had mine on the work bench.

Removing the entire front cover with the engine in place is indeed a task! I've done it but I would not wish it on anyone!
Thanks 12Ounce, the Ford manual I have lists the oil pump as being serviceable while in vehicle; have no idea about the valve, can't find it listed in it. However, servicing the oil filter is tight, I can't imagine how it will be to remove the pump...

So, I installed a new filter and took it for a test drive but no, the noise did not go away; after some time (~40 minutes) the noise came back and, as before, it's only noticeable at idle and close to the oil filter adapter.

Any other ideas guys?, I'm ready to set this thing on fire...

Oscar.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Ok, I've been reading some more and I'm thinking tempfixit's might be onto something with the bad synchro idea; Tempfixit, even when you actually mentioned it, I didn't know it was directly connected to the oil pump; that's why I didn't think it could be the problem.

I'll try searching more info, but would still like to ask what symptoms could a bad camshaft synchronizer cause? I've been noticing the engine will misfire from time to time at idle while in gear (I already cleaned IAC); engine died on me once while waiting at a red light without notice; I also get an occasional rattling noise that also goes away with RPM's, I kept tracing it but could only narrow it to the area around the PS and water pumps, synchro sits between both!. Could all/some of these be caused by the synchro?

Oscar.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar