Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 11:00 AM   #1
327chevy
AF Regular

'08 Silverado transmission lines

I live in the salt belt where we use salt in winter and as a result vehicles rust.I am trying to find the easiest way to get the transmission lines off the side of the trans on my truck.This is the 4L60E and the lines are on the right ( passenger ) side with individual fittings and not the block with both lines fastened with one bolt.Yes the crimp fittings are leaking and yes I could have cut them off and used screw clamps to "fix" this but the lines going into the cooler are rusted bad and it's just a matter of time before they rust off so I'm replacing them.I took a quick look and from what I can see it will be a real PIA to try and get a hand and tools up around all the surrounding parts and pieces so I thought I'd see if someone has a trick to getting the retaining clips out of the fittings so the lines can be pulled out.One thing I thought might help is to take the Y pipe off the engine for more room but that's one extra step and run the risk of twisting studs off etc.Anyone have any tips?
327chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #2
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Re: '08 Silverado transmission lines

Your 4L60E trans should have the quick connect fittings in the case. If so, you don't need to try and get any hand tools up in there, other than a spring hook or pick with a 90* angle tip. Try to find one that is long, (6-8"), with a straight tip on one end, and a 90 on the other. That is needed to remove the spring clip that locks the line into the case fitting. The lines originally had a black plastic protective ring that snapped over the clip, those are often gone if the lines have ever been removed previously. The spring clip has 2 areas that I call "loops", which are exposed enough to dig underneath them with your pick, to pop the clip out. It does not need to be completely removed, just slid outward enough to allow the line to be pulled out of the fitting. If you are not familiar with this type of fitting, what I am saying probably is hard to picture. It is a technique that you will develop after you've done it a few times. You will find the same type of quick disconnect fittings at the other end of the lines, where they enter the radiator side tank.
YouTube is your friend on this one. Go there and search for "2008 Silverado transmission cooler line replacement". A user named Falcon's Garage has a very helpful 6 minute video, it shows exactly what I am talking about.
Let us know if you need any further assistance.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado