Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 12:09 PM   #1
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Porsche 911 964 Carrera RS

I've started a new project and I'm sticking with the Porsche RS's for a bit longer. This time the legendary 911 964 Carrera RS. A very rare, performance focussed car. Basically there are 2 versions, the basic and the clubsport. I'm not entirely sure yet which I'm going to build, but the first things I need to do are similar for both versions anyway. And at the IMPS modeling event I picked up a nice Porsche Mint Green to go with this project.
This is the example I will be following (mostly)

Since I need to cut into the kit, I'm not using an expensive and rare Fujimi kit, but a Revell one instead. This one:

On the outside there are very little differences between a regular Carrera 2 and the Carrera RS, but quite an important one is the rear bumper. It has something I can only describe as 2 bumps. So that is where my first attention is going to.

I'll be designing the rear bumper section in 3D so I can print it and offer it on Cults3D to others once it is ready.

Here a bit of a view between de plain and the RS rear bumper.

Deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Re: Porsche 911 964 Carrera RS

And then the fun starts... starting my work in Blender.
I traced the rough shape into Blender and than gave it a quick print. Just to see if all sizes and curves are correct. And I must admit... I'm quite pleased with the first results.

For my second test I made the section a fraction wider to fill up the bumper better and flattened the top some more.

Some sanding is always needed as no-one can cut the part out with surgical precision. But the second test seems to fit even better. Continuing on with the bumps.

This is the 3rd test and I'm nearly there. I need to angle the bumps outwards ever so slightly and and the details for the license plate lights and tow hook cover.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:01 PM   #3
fafnir
AF Regular

Looks pretty good so far.
fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fafnir For This Useful Post:
Deathtrap (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 12:45 AM   #4
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Thank you. Yeah, I'm no expert on 3D designing, but with each attempt it seems to go better and quicker.

This is my last print with all the details and I'm quite thrilled.

I will have to give it a coat of primer as that will always brings out the smallest of imperfections.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:26 AM   #5
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I noticed that the bottom half and the body did not fit properly. I found out that the inside wheel wells needed some sanding and afterwards the fit was perfect.

Moving along with the body, I've added the missing trim on the inside of the engine cover. Also some more putty and sanding was needed to clean up all imperfections.

The light weight interior also needs to get a coat of the same exterior color, some now my focus moved to the interior tub.
Removing the rear seats, filling up all kinds of holes and I also removed the front wheel drive system. This all needs to be filled with putty and sanded smooth.

When I looked at the brake pedals, I noticed these looked like something a 5 year old would make. So I took out Blender and redesigned some proper ones which look like the true Porsche pedals.

In this last picture I also noticed a large dent in the center console. This is a mold problem I've seen more often with Revell and Italeri kits. I will also need to address that.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:15 AM   #6
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I wanted to try something new. Since the carpeting was different (light weight) compared to the regular Carrera I wanted to represent it wil a different "flocking". This time I'm using embossing powder.

It does look coarse on the pictures, but I'm guessing that is because of the macro shots. I'll see what happens when I'm painting it black.

Next up, the light weight doorpanels.
Eventually there will also be a ribbon to close the door as in the 1972 Carrera RS.

When putting the headlights in, I noticed they where a touch too big and stuck out of the body panels. So carefully sanded them down to fit.

In the mean time I had my printer printing some nice cup mirrors (). So I filled the holes for the square mirrors and stuck the cups on.

Finally all the parts were primed. I'll lightly wet sand them before applying the color coat.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:15 AM   #7
Deathtrap
AF Regular

The first coat of paint has been applied. The colour shows best with the artificial light, as the outdoor pictures seem too blue.
I'll do a light wet sanding before applying the final coat. Then I'm sure to have full coverage and can continue to paint the clear coat.

The Following User Says Thank You to Deathtrap For This Useful Post:
Balu26 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 11:29 PM   #8
potsie
AF Enthusiast

The colour is beautiful!
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to potsie For This Useful Post:
Deathtrap (02-12-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 05:58 AM   #9
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I gave the parts a first coat of clear. I think I had the presure too high as quite some dust specs were cought in the laquer. So I will lightly wet sand it as a preparation for its second and final coat.

[/quote]
Old 02-23-2024, 05:40 AM   #10
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Just gorgeous.
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:55 PM   #11
fafnir
AF Regular

Very Slick looking paint!
fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:54 AM   #12
Deathtrap
AF Regular

After some detours it's tme to get some more work done on the RS.

The classic steering wheel that was used on early model 964s is like this

However, the RS is ever so slightly different.

In the end, it is only the text that needs to change. And the best way (for me) to address this, is by taking out Blender and start 3D designing a new steering wheel.

Starting with some basic shapes en slowly refine to something that looks like the original.

I'm quite happy with the overal shape so far. 2 main steps remain:
1. Obviously, the text
2. The wheel and the center need to be connected and have a suitable kit connection point for both a successful print and attachment point.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:57 PM   #13
stratos75
Loser

I see two problems. Look at the red and yellow arrows.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:03 AM   #14
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Yes, you are right. I was informed on the PorscheForum about that as well. Shouldn't be to hard to change this. So back to the drawing board.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:05 AM   #15
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I've redesigned the steering wheel a bit so the spokes are a bit off-center. I also flattened the spokes a bit on the front.

Someone did point me out that the steering wheel also tapers to the center where the stitching goes. I'm going to try to get that in as well. Although that will only be 0.1 or 0.2mm of difference.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street