Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #61
volvoman
AF Newbie

Re: Flemke's F1 - The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstg01 View Post
Check out the wheel nuts - it's the other side of the car
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #62
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

Look at the lettering in the background of some of the pictures you will notice they are reversed
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #63
joe911
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuilder2002 View Post
Look at the lettering in the background of some of the pictures you will notice they are reversed
One of the pictures is reversed because I wanted to show it accelerating, braking, and at rest - and I didn't have one at rest from the right side and angle - so I just flipped a picture round.
joe911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #64
volvoman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe911 View Post
One of the pictures is reversed because I wanted to show it accelerating, braking, and at rest - and I didn't have one at rest from the right side and angle - so I just flipped a picture round.

Hi Joe Many thanks for adding the pics on here i see you on ph as well i am sure we would all love to here about your first ride in flemkes f1 as you seem to know the car well as its developed

Russ
Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #65
joe911
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoman View Post
Hi Joe Many thanks for adding the pics on here i see you on ph as well i am sure we would all love to here about your first ride in flemkes f1 as you seem to know the car well as its developed :smokin
I'm not sure what I could say that might be interesting. I've driven the car several times - and twice since the rebuild.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #66
volvoman
AF Newbie

Quote:
I'm not sure what I could say that might be interesting. I've driven the car several times - and twice since the rebuild.
I would have quite a lot to talk about how it felt to drive to us mear mortals that have not yet had a ride in the king of all cars especially Flemkes car as its evolved
Old 11-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #67
joe911
AF Newbie

Quote:
I would have quite a lot to talk about how it felt to drive to us mear mortals that have not yet had a ride in the king of all cars especially Flemkes car as its evolved
It's special to be in an F1 at all, more so to drive one of course.
The noise is intoxicating - the engine has got to be the best ever made for a road car.
The two recent drives were a big contrast - the first was the first time it had been driven following the detailing (it was me driving in the video that appears earlier in this thread) and before the carbon brakes were fitted - it was on A and B roads in the UK. The second time was on an airfield.
I felt pretty nervous driving on smaller UK roads that were pretty bumpy - though the chance to open it up on a runway was really great - it felt good on a decent smooth surface. Would be great to use the runway again and mark out a course with cones and try to get an understanding of the handling when pushing the car. The weight reduction of the carbon discs was really noticeable - the steering was lighter and felt more precise. I'm not saying it did not feel fast on the runway - but you do lose the impression of speed somewhat. It didn't feel that we were pushing that hard (it was damp) - though trying to keep up in a 475bhp GT3 showed how fast an F1 is.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joe911 For This Useful Post:
cabrio92 (11-30-2011), MrYoung (11-30-2011), Sami Aaltonen (11-30-2011), SD F1 (01-29-2013), teflon (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #68
volvoman
AF Newbie

Quote:
It's special to be in an F1 at all, more so to drive one of course.
The noise is intoxicating - the engine has got to be the best ever made for a road car.
The two recent drives were a big contrast - the first was the first time it had been driven following the detailing (it was me driving in the video that appears earlier in this thread) and before the carbon brakes were fitted - it was on A and B roads in the UK. The second time was on an airfield.
I felt pretty nervous driving on smaller UK roads that were pretty bumpy - though the chance to open it up on a runway was really great - it felt good on a decent smooth surface. Would be great to use the runway again and mark out a course with cones and try to get an understanding of the handling when pushing the car. The weight reduction of the carbon discs was really noticeable - the steering was lighter and felt more precise. I'm not saying it did not feel fast on the runway - but you do lose the impression of speed somewhat. It didn't feel that we were pushing that hard (it was damp) - though trying to keep up in a 475bhp GT3 showed how fast an F1 is.

Fantastic Joe your a very lucky guy to be given the keys let alone ride in an F1 great to here your thoughts on the car have you ever driven a standard car to compaire the two,Dunsfold has some very small roads around the site and not very smooth your a brave man

Great to see Flemke getting back into F1's after the bump hopefully he is starting to get used to the retrim etc

Russ
Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #69
joe911
AF Newbie

Quote:
Fantastic Joe your a very lucky guy to be given the keys let alone ride in an F1 great to here your thoughts on the car have you ever driven a standard car to compaire the two,Dunsfold has some very small roads around the site and not very smooth your a brave man :smokin
Indeed, am v. lucky - Flemke is the tops.
I did drive the car when standard though it was many years ago - it was definitely more compliant then.
The runway test was not at Dunsfold, much further away.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #70
volvoman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Indeed, am v. lucky - Flemke is the tops.
I did drive the car when standard though it was many years ago - it was definitely more compliant then.
The runway test was not at Dunsfold, much further away.

A great mate to have i know the roads from the vid are around dunsfold if you need use of the runway at Dunsfold i might be able to help you
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #71
cabrio92
www.McLF1.com

Send a message via MSN to cabrio92

Volvoman > How long is the runway and the tarmac ?

French magazine Sport Auto will publish a 0 to 300 km/h test with Veyron, Pescarolo and LRGP
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #72
joe911
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrio92 View Post
Volvoman > How long is the runway and the tarmac ?

French magazine Sport Auto will publish a 0 to 300 km/h test with Veyron, Pescarolo and LRGP
Dunsfold runway is 1.74 miles long.

Bruntingthorpe is usually used for high speed runs in the UK - it is 3.2km / 2 miles long.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #73
cabrio92
www.McLF1.com

Send a message via MSN to cabrio92

Hmm, it gives me a lot of idea, thanks guys.

Is it difficult to drive on it ?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #74
joe911
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrio92 View Post
Hmm, it gives me a lot of idea, thanks guys.
Is it difficult to drive on it ?
Dunsfold is tricky, but not impossible to get on.
Bruntingthorpe is not difficult.

In both cases it's helpful to know the people who are approved for access (often for driver training, or testing purposes).
Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #75
volvoman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Dunsfold is tricky, but not impossible to get on.
Bruntingthorpe is not difficult.

In both cases it's helpful to know the people who are approved for access (often for driver training, or testing purposes).

Hi Joe is there anymore updates on Flemkes car how is the brake testing going ?

Russ