Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
schri00
AF Newbie

Question Engine Honing

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

On a freshly bored engine, there are three stages to honing. My question is: for how long do you have to hone each cylinder during each of the three stages. I'm not doing this work myself, but would like to have an idea.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
schri00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Re: Engine Honing

It is relative to the experience and equipment. A good honing machine won't take that long. They should be able to hone out a block in a few hours.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
schri00
AF Newbie

Hi RahX, thanks for answering. I forgot to mention they will be doing the job manually, using an electric drill. Problem is, if they hone the cylinder longer than they should, during any of the three stages, they will take too much material off the cylinder wall. So I would like to have an approximate figure of time or visual indication to go by. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

If you are using 3 different grades of hone, my guess is maybe about 2 - 5 minutes per hone. As noted above, faster speeds and fresher hones do a quicker job.
The job is complete when the correct results are achieved, not when a certain amount of time has gone past. But, imo, if you have to spend more than 20 minutes on a cylinder something is wrong.
Carefully review this video. As the instructor says, his 30 sec of honing is just for de-glazing, when you replace rings. A rebored engine takes more work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJAuDZXmiU
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
schri00
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
If you are using 3 different grades of hone, my guess is maybe about 2 - 5 minutes per hone. As noted above, faster speeds and fresher hones do a quicker job.
The job is complete when the correct results are achieved, not when a certain amount of time has gone past. But, imo, if you have to spend more than 20 minutes on a cylinder something is wrong.
Carefully review this video. As the instructor says, his 30 sec of honing is just for de-glazing, when you replace rings. A rebored engine takes more work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJAuDZXmiU

Great video. I think the key point here is, as the instructor says, to get rid of all the bore machine marks and provide a good surface to help break-in the rings. So I figure the first stage is going to take longer. Thanks MR.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Don't ball hone, those things are crap. Get a decent honing stone setup to get a good finish. Technique is the key to getting a good crosshatch by hand. Google around before you do it so you get an idea of what you really have to do and what to look for.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/honing98.htm
Old 01-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Don't ball hone, those things are crap. Get a decent honing stone setup to get a good finish. Technique is the key to getting a good crosshatch by hand. Google around before you do it so you get an idea of what you really have to do and what to look for.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/honing98.htm

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
engine , honing , rebuild
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical