Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Accent | Verna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
daedal.
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to daedal.
'98 Accent - Stutters after rain.

My '98 Accent seems to hate rain or humidity.
When I drive around after it rains, the engine stutters and kicks, especially if I give it more gas.

It's as though I was flooding the engine when I press on the Gas pedal. I can still drive but I have to start really slowly and when I shift, only give it very little gas. Could it be a seal letting water in the combustion chamber?

Takes about 10mins or so for that to go away. About the same time that my oil heats up to an optimal level. Any ideas? I have to bring it in to my local Hyundai dealership for a spring checkup but I'm curious on what the problem could be. The car didn't cost much and I'm praying it isin't serious.
daedal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
greendevilvt
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to greendevilvt
Re: '98 Accent - Stutters after rain.

Sorry to hear that. I had a 97 Accent that did a similar thing. Although, it often wouldn't start after rain. I really couldn't figure out what the heck the problem was. Neither could my mechanic. I would mess around with the spark plug wires a lot and that seemed to help. My friend said the distributer cap could have problems. I ended up trading in the car and getting a new accent because I had too many things to fix.

good luck
greendevilvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
PhlatulentPhreddy
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: '98 Accent - Stutters after rain.

I have a 2000. I've had a lot of trouble with engine misfires due to the wires. Here is my advice and what fixed problem for me.

1. Change the wires and use NGK Iridium spark plugs. $100 done by mechanic - $60 by yourself - your choice.

2. Use dielectric grease on the wire connections to the plugs so as to ensure a good connection.

If this doesn't work you are out $100. If it does you are out one major pain in the butt. I'm no expert but that advice worked for me. If the engine misfires, open the hood and check the wires. Make sure they are connected well. If the engine light stays on but doesn't blink and the car idles normally - you know it is the wires - of course they may be shot too and a visual inspection should tell you something. Anyway - hope that helps. I'm no mechanic and it is true I was born at night but well you know the rest.... Peace.
PhlatulentPhreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
daedal.
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to daedal.
Re: Re: Re: '98 Accent - Stutters after rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlatulentPhreddy
I have a 2000. I've had a lot of trouble with engine misfires due to the wires. Here is my advice and what fixed problem for me.

1. Change the wires and use NGK Iridium spark plugs. $100 done by mechanic - $60 by yourself - your choice.

2. Use dielectric grease on the wire connections to the plugs so as to ensure a good connection.

If this doesn't work you are out $100. If it does you are out one major pain in the butt. I'm no expert but that advice worked for me. If the engine misfires, open the hood and check the wires. Make sure they are connected well. If the engine light stays on but doesn't blink and the car idles normally - you know it is the wires - of course they may be shot too and a visual inspection should tell you something. Anyway - hope that helps. I'm no mechanic and it is true I was born at night but well you know the rest.... Peace.
When you say wires, do you mean the Ignition cables? It definitly seems like an electrical issue. The "Check Engine" light blinks when the engine missfires a few times in a row, then just stays on. The light usualy goes away when the weather turns dry for a day or two.
daedal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
PhlatulentPhreddy
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: '98 Accent - Stutters after rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal.
When you say wires, do you mean the Ignition cables? It definitly seems like an electrical issue. The "Check Engine" light blinks when the engine missfires a few times in a row, then just stays on. The light usualy goes away when the weather turns dry for a day or two.
Exactly. I've had problems with it whenever it rains or is humid. I changed the spark plugs but that didn't do it. The last time the light went on I sprang for the wires - I think they were $40. I bought OEM replacement - not Hyundai. I figure if the originals sucked why buy them. I haven't had that problem since. Naturally, by the time you get to the station or the dealer the car is warmed up and runs fine. You have to leave it there for him to start up in the AM after a nice wet few days when the car is parked. I'd bet the culprit is in the wiring. I'm no mechanic and I'm sure someone else may have better insight. I can only give you my experience which although I've had a few problems over the years, considering the price and maintenance costs, I'm not sorry I bought the Accent. It is a good little car and is pretty dependable. I have 75,000 miles on it and it is over 5 years old and going strong. Just replaced the Catalytic converter cover It's that silver part that says HOT in letters on it. They seem to rust right off the screws. I had it replaced and would suggest looking at it. My car isn't garaged so it is not unexpected. The underneath however had no rust whatsoever as does the body of the car. Anway - all the best. I think this will solve your problem. If not, call Hyundai Tech Support and ask them. They may have a TSB Technical Safety Bulletin or something pertaining to that problem. I couldn't find anything but the wiring and that is what everyone told me from Hyundai to AAA. Replace plugs and wires. Did it and have no problems now - knock on wood. Hope that helps.
PhlatulentPhreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Accent | Verna