Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Ron AKA
AF Regular

1990 F150 Dual Tank 351 - Fuel Pump keeps running with key removed?

Having an odd problem, and wondered if anyone else has experienced and solved it. Essentially the fuel pump seems to keep running with the engine stopped and key removed from the ignition. If I move the tank selector switch between tanks and one tank is empty then the sound changes (probably when the pump sucks air from the empty tank), but does not solve the problem.

While fumbling around trying to find the fuse for the fuel pump to kill the thing, I moved a connector under the hood on driver side under a plastic cover marked fuel pump (and a few other things). The pump stops if you wiggle it just right. It stays stopped until you start the engine again, and then the problem starts all over again.

Engine starts and runs fine whether pump is running or not, but my concern is that it will kill the battery if I leave it like this.

Suggestions?
Ron AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1990 F150 Dual Tank 351 - Fuel Pump keeps running with key removed?

Check the fuel pump relay, and roll it with another the same type.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Ron AKA
AF Regular

Re: 1990 F150 Dual Tank 351 - Fuel Pump keeps running with key removed?

Thanks for the help. They put the relays in a very accessible location, but the design of the relay "block" is about the most miserable that I have ever seen. Even after I removed the block so you could see what you were doing it seems almost impossible to remove the relay, or even unplug it. In any case I eventually unplugged the relay, and put it back. Now everything seems to work fine. I have power on the yellow wire all the time, and only power on two of the other three when the truck is running.

Either it has fixed itself, or it has to heat up before the relay starts to act up. Will probably buy a relay and replace it, just in case. Now if I can only figure out how to remove the relay without busting all the plastic...
Ron AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron AKA For This Useful Post:
danielsatur (06-10-2012)