Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
kmurray262
AF Newbie

03 Accord LX Thumping

Every so often I get a thumping from the right front, almost like I have a flat. I have kicked the tire and ot has stopped before, but often times the only way to make it stop is to jack the car up remove the tire put it back on and the sound is gone for about 2-3 weeks. I must say I have very little ability at car repair. I checked the CV boots for holes, checked the shocks for leakage and they were both clear. If anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.
kmurray262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
StealthSonic
AF Regular

Re: 03 Accord LX Thumping

I am getting similar problem from the both rear suspension but I do know what I did. I replaced shocks and suspension and ever since then, there's thumbing sound when I hit bumps on the street. I couldn't figure out until now. It's been 2 weeks.

But from they way you discribed the problem, sounds like a lose rug nuts. Tighten a the nuts about 30% while the wheels are in the air and tighten it all the way after you lowered it from a jack.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
simplexveritas
AF Newbie

weird -- i had this problem, or something similar, on my buddy's civic. we lifted the car up and loosened/tightened all the bolts.
simplexveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

On some cars a brake caliper that is not sliding correctly will do this...it stays in contact with the rotor and heats the rotor until it warps slightly, then you feel and hear the kickback as it knocks the caliper on each revolution of the wheel. The sound will go away when the brake is applied, but there will be shake in the brake pedal and steering wheel.

If any of that sounds like what you are experiencing, that's where I'd be looking...

Also, rule nothing out...

A lesson I learned in the shop. I once did a complete brake service on a customer's car. Loaded calipers, new rotors, front brake hoses. Two days later she brought it back with a loud thumping in the right front. I went back over my work but found nothing wrong.

Just to be safe, I defected out the caliper and rotor, carefully checked the hub bearing and cv shaft while it was apart, put it back together, and it was exactly the same, noise still there.

It was still on the rack when she came in to get it after getting a ride to the shop from work. Out of habit, I checked the tire pressures after putting the wheels back on. THE RIGHT FRONT TIRE HAD 110 PSI IN IT!! ...the thumping was the bead cords fixing to explode off the rim...

I asked her how it could have happened, because I'd checked the tires the first time it was in the shop. She said "I thought it looked low the next morning, so I put air in it..."

Did you use a gauge?

"No...I just filled it until it looked right..."

So I explained to her how she was lucky to still have hands on her arms after doing that, and how she'd cost me the use of a bay and my time for a whole day...and politely suggested she buy a $2 tire gaugerunaround

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid