Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Linda_3SeriesE46
AF Newbie

E46 3 Series 1999, Engine Light Air Bag light

Hi Guys,

My engine light and air bag light just recently turned on. I had it checked and these are the lists that the comp came up with, attached. If you cant view the attachment here is what it says:

Total codes: 004

170 Heat output, sensor after cat. conv. (EU Code: P 0141)

171 Check, fuel supply system (EU III code: P0170)

169 Heat output, sensor before cat. conv. (EUIII code: P0135)

141 Oxygen- sensor control, control limit (EUIII code: P0170)

Whatever that means i don't know, but (1) the car air con system heats up even when you have it off? i have to ut on the A/C to keep it cool BUT the car heat gauge is normal, it stays the same and has nothing wrong with it.

(2) The accelerator usually misfires, if you put your foot down sometimes, then it jerks like someone is pushing it? Sorry for the parallel but it jerks like someone is humping you from the top!

Could anyone give me an idea as to what needs to be done, direct me to a web page or something where it lists the procedure to fix this stuff?

Love and Peace

Linda xx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E46.jpg (80.8 KB, 4 views)
Linda_3SeriesE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Broken-wrench
AF Newbie

Re: E46 3 Series 1999, Engine Light Air Bag light

Almost sounds like the O2 sensor has things a little amiss! That's where I would start. How did you get the codes? If by a BMW mechanic, what were his suggestions? The heat sensors are a way of saying that the exhaust temperature is not right both before and after the cat. converter. Too rich or too lean a mixture caused by a faulty O2 sensor could create such a situation. As for the air bag light, that one is a mystery to me and should not be related to each other. However, things do go amiss in the ECU causing strange things. I had an air bag light come on when I was hammering off a rear brake rotor. The thing is the car was OFF when I was working on it. It triggered the mechanical sensor under the rear seat even though it had no electrical power to it when I was hammering on the stuck rotor! Get a good mechanic in the London area and have it looked at by a professional!

Good luck!
Broken-wrench is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series