Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:33 PM   #1
cuda66
AF Newbie

Question What's the difference between 72 cutlass and cutlass supreme

What is the difference between a cutlass and a cutlass supreme in 1972?

I just bought a 1972 cutlass with a 455. The vin number and data plate indicate it's a cutlass, the interior trim says cutlass "s".

The reason I'm asking is because I want to buy headers for the car and most manufacturers have headers to fit cutlasses but not cutlass supremes.

Is there a difference between the frames or engine bays that would make the headers not fit?

Thanks in advance for your help. Louie
cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
nc1963
AF Newbie

A cutlass s has more of a slant back (rear window roof line) while the cutlass supreme is more squared off.
nc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
Cutlass350sb
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Cutlass350sb Send a message via Yahoo to Cutlass350sb
Re: What's the difference between 72 cutlass and cutlass supreme

I have a 1984 cutlass supereme and I can tell you for sure that the rear window goes stright down (no slant At all). But the frame and front clip is the same as the regular 1984 cutlass. As a matter of fact my Cutlass "S" is sitting on a Pontic Grand Prix frame of the same year (1984) and everything is the same right down to the suspension, drive train, steering etc. So as far as headers fitting the cutlass "s" It's my best guess that they will fit/work.
As far as I know the "supreme" is the same as the regular cutlass but with way more power options and stuff. Like my 84 cutlass supreme has all of the power options avaible during that year and it has glass T-tops. besides that stuff it still has the same 305sb engine with the 7004r "converter lock-up" Auto tranny, just like the regular cutlass of the same year (1984).
So IMHO the headers will fit as long as its for your 455bb engine. If your in serious doubt ask the manufacture if they will fit or not, They should know forsure!!.

cutlass350
Cutlass350sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Drop Top
AF Newbie

Re: What's the difference between 72 cutlass and cutlass supreme

There is a common misconception about header fitment in the 68-72 Olds. Some suppliers say their header will not fit a Cutlass Supreme because the engine is offset in the frame 2". This is total B.S. The frame of a Cutlass S and Supreme are pretty much the same for 68-72.

As for your question about body style. The Cutlass for 72 had a "Holiday Coupe" sort of a fastback. This is the body style almost all 442's were. Supreme is a Sedan type body think "notch back" with a wide rear post. The Hurst/Olds for 72 were either this body style or a convertible. Of course a convertible and a 4-door and wagon was also available in the line.

Hope that answers your question.
Drop Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
Brutus_5150
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Brutus_5150
Re: Re: What's the difference between 72 cutlass and cutlass supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass350sb
I have a 1984 cutlass supereme and I can tell you for sure that the rear window goes stright down (no slant At all). But the frame and front clip is the same as the regular 1984 cutlass. As a matter of fact my Cutlass "S" is sitting on a Pontic Grand Prix frame of the same year (1984) and everything is the same right down to the suspension, drive train, steering etc. So as far as headers fitting the cutlass "s" It's my best guess that they will fit/work.
He's talking about a 72, not a g-body.
Brutus_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series