Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 02:05 PM   #46
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Sure, no prob.

LOL, you can almost hear the rusty gears tuning in their noodle.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:32 PM   #47
TatII
AF Fanatic

well i do realize that it was spelled v-tec after i posted it, but i didn't expect people to nit pick to me about it. anyways. even if you do a B16A swap on a civic, its still not goin to be fast. thats all i'm saying. sure it can also be considered a true JDM conversion. but its one thats not that fast, unless you make some kind of hybrid like a B18c in a 89 CRX. then you can do 14 sec quarter miles. all i'm sayin is that, i'm sick of people sayin v-tec is god. i mean sure honda came up with it first ( i think) but alot of other companies can do the same trick with their valve timing. they just don't advertise it and make it sooo known and put stickers on it like how honda does. you know?
Old 12-20-2001, 07:25 PM   #48
LiuBei
AF Regular

First of all, Civics kick ass stock or decked out.

Second, muscle cars don't suck. Real muscle cars that is, like the Pontiac GTO, the first and last REAL musclecar.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:11 AM   #49
Integra-F20C
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Integra-F20C Send a message via AIM to Integra-F20C
Quote:
Originally posted by TatII
heh i always thought honda's were slow, esp the civic. well thats why if you want to get a REAL 4 cylinder car. you gotta get the 240sx's. causey ou can do a SR20DET swap and that will be the closest to a true JDM car in this damn country. and doin 14 sec quarter miles is not that slow, and since its turbo, upgrades such as boost controllers or a better intercooler would make a pretty big gain. see the only real fast 4 cylinder or any japanese cars in general are cars with turbo. and v-tec simply don't cut it cuse it cuts down the torque to almost nothing and its almost impossible to keep it in full power in v-tech mode unless you drive it like ya stole it and it still will get out of the powerband if your not careful when shifting since its sooo freakin small~!!! and it v-tech kicks in wwaaaay too late. like 5700rpm late.
ok Mr KnowItAll..
I guess u know crap about cars in Japan..
let me give u few points of tutorial..
who da hell said..if a 4 cyl car isn't turbo..then it isn't a real 4cyl car?..
your talking as if u driven all Honda vtec cars and know that..they come in late and are real slow..hell yea..they're not fast at straight lines..sicne the cars WERE NEVER made for straight line racing...the reason why their power kick in so late unlike others..which lose power at around 7000rpm+..is cause Hondas as FF cars..were made for track racing..because every corner u turn..u usually down shft to a higher rpm and then go hard from there...and because of Honda's vtec design to have more power at higher rpm, it is coz afetr each turn..u get hat power u need to accelerate away from each corner at high rpm's...and this is the advantage of honda vtec cars..especially the Type-R's..which is one of the best FF handlign cars..
amd also coz of this design..u could also save more petrol..and also could ahve the power u need..because when ur at low rpm..and ur drving normally..u coudl save a lot of fuel..but also when u need o overtake someone etc..u could ahev the power too..since u just need to pull to a higher rpm..and now..please get my point..do some FREAKING RESERACH BEFORE U OPEN UR MOUTH...vtec engages aroudn 4500rpm-5000rpm..and as the car pulls to a higher rpm...the torque DOES NOT cut down..and same goes with power...coz if the torque cuts down..then there is no point of vtec being a high rpm engine...and hell...which cars does not need to be driven hard to be fast?!

and don't get me wrong..i love SR20DET's...as well as RB26DETT..
but u have to figure out the difference and advantages between a turbo and a n/a vehicle...not just go otu saying blah blah..turbo's are the real 4cyl engines and that hvtec that don't ahve turbos are slow and blah blah...coz if u argue with prof...there could never be a winner..coz these 2 engines are made for different purposes and uses...Honda vtec's aren't slow for in there category...try comparing them to other cars in the same category with no turbo..and same good fuel comsumption..and see which n/a car will come out the best..

if u still think that i have made no point to u and that vtec still loses torque coz of powerband or whatever u were tlaking about..then reply me..coz i don't mind making u understand what the purpose of vtec is..since u seem to know nothing..and of coz..by what ur saying..u have never driven any ...coz i'm sure nobody in here that driven one would think that it loses torque ant high rpm and that vtec kicks in at 5700rpm..

more infoHere
Old 12-21-2001, 02:35 AM   #50
TatII
AF Fanatic

well you do have a point there about how when you down shift that it rpm jumps up and how it keeps it in v tec mode. i never thought of it as that way, but since drag seems to be the biggest thing in this country i completely forgot about circuit racing. sooo it was my fault on that one. and yes you have another point for sayin that you can't really compare n/a cars to forced induction cars. and yes turbo cars suck in extremely hot weathers. that is when the NSX will beat pretty much most turbo charged cars. but still its just that i have this thing against honda's now becuase everyone sweats them, esp the ricers who knows absolutely nothing and i mean nothing~! about cars. that is what gets me all angry. i don't mean to diss out on honda's or anything, but i hope you feel me. sooo my bad about gettin all carried away. i was just tryin to express myself
Old 12-21-2001, 02:38 AM   #51
TatII
AF Fanatic

oh yeah and another thing, i never said that v-tec cuts down torque. what i meant was how v-tec doens't really give that much of a torque boost.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:11 AM   #52
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by LiuBei
First of all, Civics kick ass stock or decked out.

Second, muscle cars don't suck. Real muscle cars that is, like the Pontiac GTO, the first and last REAL musclecar.
I would have to VERY much dissagree. Civics when they are stock are simply gas conservative cars. You can beat one in a lot of other stock cars with similarly sized engines.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:01 AM   #53
LiuBei
AF Regular

Civics were never made to be excessivley fast. I think they kicks ass because: 1. Good Price 2. Great Gas mi 3. Rock Solid Reliability 4. overall great quality of the car

Simply said, there are more than a few ways to make any car faster, Civics have proven this time and time again. If you want to make a Civic fast go right ahead, I can care less, I like mine the way it is.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:43 AM   #54
Andre the Giant
AF Newbie

What a bunch of mindless crap. To say that the Acura Integra or the Honda Civic is designed to perform well on the track is just stupid. These vehicles are designed to perform well on the ROAD. For the average Joe or Josephine who's going to pick up the kids at school.
It is a real show of ignorance to think that your little 4-cyl VTEC engine with lots of chrome and lots of stuff painted red in a Accord/Prelude/Civic/Integra could out perform a small block 350 with even the slightest modifications, in a 1978 Camero Z-28. Yes, the Honda might perform better around curves, but when the hammer goes down and the 4-barrel opens up... the Honda's gonna look like just another grocery getter.
Taping a coffee can to your muffler doesn't mean you can outrun a Cobra. Putting a big a$$ ugly wing on the back of your Civic won't help you out-handle a Porche. Some of you guys are sooooo uninformed.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:47 AM   #55
Integra-F20C
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Integra-F20C Send a message via AIM to Integra-F20C
Quote:
Originally posted by TatII
oh yeah and another thing, i never said that v-tec cuts down torque. what i meant was how v-tec doens't really give that much of a torque boost.
well..vtec cars..as long as u keep the rpm over 5000rpm...ur engine is basically running under nearly it's max power..and i mean down shift as in..when u want to turn a corner..u have to slow down..right?..therfore..when u slow down to the speed that could handle the corner..u downshift to a lower gear..and pull the rpm higher and then turn out of the corner..normal circuit racing technique..
and yea i feel ya..my next car ain;'t gonna be a honda for sure..sine some honda ricers piss me off too much but also..i had enough if n/a..i'm getting a white lancer evo5 next..which none of u guys will have in u.s

and as for torque..after 5000rpm on a vtec motor..u get both a power and torque boost..and that a promise..coz that is why when a honda needs to overtake a car..they need to downshift to a higher rpm range..which si when power and torque comes out mosty to give the car a boost to the high rpm range...test drive one and realise how the engine works...it's pretty basic..nothing special about how a vtec works..it just gives u more power after 5000rpm till 7000-9000rpm..depending on how the car is tuned.

more infoHere
Old 12-21-2001, 11:49 AM   #56
LiuBei
AF Regular

Yea, but what about some performance stickers? They add like 5hp:hehehe:

:greenchai
Old 12-21-2001, 07:52 PM   #57
TatII
AF Fanatic

ic, maybe i'll try my friends crx with the B16A next time. that is if he lets me drive his baby that is. :smoka:
Old 12-21-2001, 08:34 PM   #58
SikB
AF Newbie

damn there is a lot of shit flying in here. You people do realize that this argument is pointless and futile. But I can not resist leaving you all with my own brand bias by saying Honda makes most of the best cars overall.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:41 PM   #59
LiuBei
AF Regular

SIKB you are new but I already like you. Preach on teh good word.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:11 AM   #60
spnx
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by SikB
damn there is a lot of shit flying in here. You people do realize that this argument is pointless and futile. But I can not resist leaving you all with my own brand bias by saying Honda makes most of the best cars overall.
Three cheers for broad overgeneralizations...