Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
d_slick420
AF Newbie

93 318is

the check engine light would come on at 4k rpm then go off when i shifted gears and the rpm would drop below 3500 or so. anyway it would do that every now and then, and now the check engine light is on and stays on. my car doesnt feel different or anything, i changed the oil, and spark plugs and everything. anyone know what could be the problem if it is even one? i would imagine it is a problem otherwise it wouldnt be red.
d_slick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Broken-wrench
AF Newbie

Re: 93 318is

You need to go in & get the codes to see what's up. You didn't mention miles on the car. The light will come on when you hit the 30K mile service intervals. To get the codes, turn the ignition switch to "ON" but do not start. Then depress the gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds or less. The computer will then display the codes by flashing the "check engine light" in a series of 4 streams. The codes are 4 digits long. Count the number of flashes to make up a number eg. nine flashes = 9. A 1411 code means there are no codes. Chilton repair manuals have all the codes listed. Or, you can purchase the code reader from Bavarian Autosports. Can you count? Then save a hundred bucks & and try it my way.
Broken-wrench is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series