Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:44 PM   #1
Golferstud84
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Golferstud84
Help! Need Engine Diagnosis

ok, I was wandering if this forum could help me diagnose an engine problem to my car. I drive a 97' 3ooogt sl with 80000 miles. For the past two weeks i have been noticing a problem. When i start my engine up, for a couple of seconds, my engine sounds like it is running with no lubrication. It doesnt give the pur soiund like an engine should. After about 3 seconds this goes away and the car is back to flawless. Drives great and doesnt make any other noise except at the start. The longer i go without driving the car, the longer the noise lasts at startup. sometimes it may last up to 10 seconds. this noise only happens after i leave the car for a period of time. anything longer than 2 hours or so. Once again the noise sounds like the engine running with no purring sound or lubrication. Also the oil light pops on while the noise is going on...then cuts off when the noise stops. My oil is full and i have put an additive in since the problem and it didnt help. If anybody has any clue to perhaps what this may be, I COULD USE THE HELP!!! LOL ...tks for your time

Last edited by Golferstud84; 12-05-2002 at 12:00 AM.
Golferstud84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:04 PM   #2
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
I wish I could help you man, but you might have a better shot at www.3si.org at getting one of the real tech heads on these cars giving you some answers. Good luck.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 12-04-2002, 08:29 PM   #3
500hpvr4
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 500hpvr4 Send a message via Yahoo to 500hpvr4
I HAVE A 1992 VR4 WITH 88000 MILES AND THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS WITH MY CAR. ?????????? I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS. IT KIND OF SOUNDS LIKE DETONATION OR TICKING. ITS WIERD.
500hpvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
Golferstud84
AF Newbie

hey

i sold that car a long time ago....ended up bein the fuel pump. i now drive a 95 vr4. your ticking could eithor be lifter ticking or check to see if your oil gauge is low.....if it is then u may need a new fuel pump.....if that fuel pump is bad and doesnt get changed you could spin a bearing which would cause severe engine damage......but most likely it is lifter ticking.....are u a member of 3si.org?
Golferstud84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:07 PM   #5
500hpvr4
AF Newbie

IM NOT A MEMBER OF 3SI. I BET ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP. I HAVE ARC 2, SO I DIDNT UPGRADE MY FUEL PUMP. I GUESS NOW WOULD BE A GOOD TIME. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?
Old 12-04-2002, 11:51 PM   #6
Golferstud84
AF Newbie

fuel pump

the top 3 for our cars in order are:

1)supra fuel pump
2)walbro fuel pump
3)denso fuel pump

the supra is best all around.....flows great and only costs 180 http://www.partznet.com/mitsudsmclub.html[u]

walbro is good and only costs 100....doesnt flow as well as the supra pump but u can't go wrong with it

denso flows ok but is a little pricy

u should join 3si.org......thousands of members, 3000gt gatherings, and its by far the best forum for our cars
Old 12-06-2002, 01:48 PM   #7
YogsVR4

Thumbs up Re: fuel pump

Quote:
Originally posted by Golferstud84
u should join 3si.org......thousands of members, 3000gt gatherings, and its by far the best forum for our cars
Without a doubt

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 12-08-2002, 11:32 PM   #8
UncleMeat777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to UncleMeat777 Send a message via AIM to UncleMeat777 Send a message via Yahoo to UncleMeat777
To be honest it just sounds like your oil is taking it's time to pump through the engine. Is your car out in the cold or anything like that?

As for the fuel pump, it's not hard... requires about the same mechanical ability as changing your spark plugs.

Click here for my site and 1:24 car pics!
UncleMeat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:00 PM   #9
500hpvr4
AF Newbie

Recently I have noticed as it gets colder my car ticks more. The colder the more it happens. It only happens late at night when I drive home from work? Weird huh! can y0ou guys explain that?
Old 12-10-2002, 07:11 AM   #10
YogsVR4

Quote:
Originally posted by 500hpvr4
Recently I have noticed as it gets colder my car ticks more. The colder the more it happens. It only happens late at night when I drive home from work? Weird huh! can y0ou guys explain that?
On you thread http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t76667.html you asked a similar question. The answer is consistent with what you're asking now. The engine oile is cold when the ambient temprature is cold (obviously) and the same at night its colder in the day. Oil doesn't flow as well when its cold as it does when its warm, it amplifies that "ticking" behavior.

Old 12-10-2002, 05:57 PM   #11
500hpvr4
AF Newbie

Ok thanks. Will it hurt the motor? I have a feeling this is bad. what do you guys reccomend me to do? Your responses are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:08 PM   #12
YogsVR4

Lifter tick will not cause damage to your engine. Of course if its rod nock then you're screwed. However, considering everything you've described, its 99.999999% likely that its lifter tick.

To help eliminate or nearly eliminate the noise do the following. Its worked for me and for others with no side effects.

1 - qt Engine (Motor) Flush.
1 - qt RISLONE engine treatment.
4 - qts Castrol GTX 10W-40 Oil
1 - OEM or better Oil Filter.
1 - PCV valve
*possibly 1 extra oil cap gasket.

Run engine til warm.
Put in 1 quart of Engine (Motor) Flush.
Run for prescribed time (normally 8 minutes)
Drain oil/flush til completely empty.
Remove old filter.
Pre-charge the new filter with RISLONE.
*replace drain plug and poor in the rest of the RISLONE. Fill to top mark with the GTX.
Replace PCV.
If your oil cap leaks, add another gasket or replace cap.

Give it a 100 miles of so, you should see a marked improvement, if not complete success. You will need to repeat this process every 2500-3000 miles (change filter every other time).
You can cut back to 1/2 qt RISLONE.

Old 12-10-2002, 08:23 PM   #13
500hpvr4
AF Newbie

Hey thanks a lot! When I get time I will try that. Hopefully it will work. Hey what have you done to the Spyder? In my opinion that is the best car ever made. Hopefully when I get older I will own one. When I get enough money. I am very jealous(spelling?) I have never seen one in person, but if I do I will cry!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 02:52 PM   #14
YogsVR4

Quote:
Originally posted by 500hpvr4
Hey thanks a lot! When I get time I will try that. Hopefully it will work. Hey what have you done to the Spyder? In my opinion that is the best car ever made. Hopefully when I get older I will own one. When I get enough money. I am very jealous(spelling?) I have never seen one in person, but if I do I will cry!!!
I've really enjoyed the Spyder - have fun once you get around to getting one

The Spyder has no cats (the main has a straight pipe and the precats are gutted. Borla exhaust. K&N open air filter. Under drive pulley. Blitz boost controller. 550 injectors. Sometime I might put some lowering springs on the car, but I'm still up in the air about that.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth