Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
Fhalan
AF Newbie

01 Xterra Mod Questions

Just recentally purchased my 01 X and am loving it. I plan on a few mod updates and would like to run them by everyone before i venture into the upgrades. Looking for Pro vs. Con or anything that might be helpful.

0. Just Got done Powder Coating my bumpers front and back, roof rack, wiper blades, bumper brackets and soon to be rims when i replace the Tires. Nothing better than being a powder coating painter the pirks of the job
1. Putting new Cooper STT's on this weekend
2. AEM - Brute Force Intake - or K&N any preference?
3. Flowmaster 50 Series Muffler or the 70 series - any one got sugestions on other brands or which intake/output recomended (ya know 1 in 2 out - or 1 and 1, or off set) and what size would be best for the piping, i am taking it in to get it repiped from the front to the back.
4. Custom Rock Sliders - Custom Home Made and Powder Coated
5. I had an Aluminum Box build to replace the Basket on the roof rack (just like a locking tool box for the back of pickups but this baby mounts in place of the basket using original mounting holes, i am going to build one just like the basket but i need to make the template first then weld her together.
6. Lift it 2.5 - 3" any recomendations on brand/size
7. ARB front bumper and winch
8. Oh and anyone have info if i should replace the factory hubs or keep them in.

I know this is a lot but any info would be greatly appriciated.
Fhalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: 01 Xterra Mod Questions

I'll shoot at a few.

Lift. 3" Suspension. I have SpenerLowRacing's lift. Calmini makes one too but the UCA's squeek like hell on ones I've followed. Also if you lift, then you'll need to upgrade your steering soon (see SLR).

Intake: Most I've seen get the K&N FIPK. Volant makes one too.

I have WARN manual hubs. Stays locked all the time, where the Nissan ones slip out when you roll backwards for a few feet. Bad for hills, and rocking maneuvers to get unstuck. Bolts can be an issue though. Watch for snaps.

I'm a BFG guy personally.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Fhalan
AF Newbie

BFG are nice, but i have done my background on this one and i was torn.

I had three options i was looking at BFG AT or MT, Toyo MT, Or The STT's
and in the end the STT won out. I think all around the STTs have the look apeal. Eveyone has the BFGs, granted there are many ways to look at this; more people riding = overall + but there is the common ground grab whats around. There were really to many variances in opinion in good and bad. I have heard nothing but good for the ride type i am looking for. There was also the Toyo cant really go wrong and it is what i am riding now. Cooper makes a great tire and are very under rated. So i figured try somthing new eh. Changing over this weekend.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
skibum1111
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to skibum1111 Send a message via Yahoo to skibum1111

Flowmaster exhaust has a very nice sound to it, but it is somewhat restrictive. Personally, I'd go with either Magnaflow or Dynomax. Less restriction, sounds really good but not obnoxious under heavy throttle.

Fart cannon muffler: $300

Assorted stickers advertising products you'll never own: $50

Having your @ss handed to you by a brick shaped suv: Priceless.

Yup, I own the suv.
skibum1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Fhalan
AF Newbie

Sorry a little confused how is the flowmaster constrictive over the others?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
skibum1111
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to skibum1111 Send a message via Yahoo to skibum1111

More baffles and different porting inside the muffler. Friend of mine had a 99 gmc 5.3, ran a flowmaster 40 series dual outlet, then tried the magnaflow version, ran better with the magnaflow. Flow test showed better flow through the magnaflow.

Fart cannon muffler: $300

Assorted stickers advertising products you'll never own: $50

Having your @ss handed to you by a brick shaped suv: Priceless.

Yup, I own the suv.
skibum1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

I'll put a plug in for Shrockworks. Get Jim's front winch bumper. You won't regret it. I bet the price is better than ARB's as well. He powder coats as well. Check out his rear tire carrier too. If you want a winch, your going 4 wheeling, right? Then invest in skid plates for the engine, tranny, etc....
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
Fhalan
AF Newbie

Really just need some specs to go off, and a general idea and i would like to build my own bumpers. I would like to look at an arb and shrockworks bumper for the younger x's and go off the general idea. From what i seen in a couple pics the arb bumper fits over the plastic? Not sure if this is right. I am not to worried about the power coating, i can do that myself. Kind of why i am looking to build it myself (or trade jobs with some metal fab guys). I am going to pick up a military utility back bumber and cut it down, and add a tire carrier.

Anyone here built their own bumpers, possible ideas. I had a box built to replace the basket using the same bolt holes and fit design. Just need to add the latch and weather striping (pics of the custom tool box coming soon)
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
equalizir
AF Newbie

Would like to see some pictures after your done with it.
equalizir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
amodea1
AF Newbie

hey guys and gals, jsut trying to get some more ideas for ma fronty. I assume that the 3.3 V6 has the same muffler on the fronty as the X. so b4 i dive uner the truck to look and get all narsty cause i wont be able to for a few days and this might be quicker if anyone knows already. what are the dimensions of the muffler? im looking at getting jsut the magnaflow muffler and all the pipes and cat are stock. if anyone knows the part number already that would be kewl too, but dont trouble urselfs with finding it. thanks guys.
amodea1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail