Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
1iwilly
AF Newbie

Question catalyst help

hello to all
i live in florida so i don't have to realy worry about emission on my 97 awd. it has a code 420 which is cat problem
i don't have the money at this moment i just shell out $2500 to rebuilt the tranny. to buy one they want $300.00 for a complete y pipe so if i gut out the inside and left the shell as evidence that i have a cat would it effect my o2 sensors.??? i know it will sound different i can live with that for now
until i get a new job.would a problem with the EGR make a throw a code 420??

Last edited by 1iwilly; 06-07-2009 at 07:06 AM.
1iwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: catalyst help

P0402 is excessive EGR flow, possibly stuck open. Remove the valve and check for pieces of carbon holding the valve open. Post your results.
old_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
1iwilly
AF Newbie

Talking Re: catalyst help

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
P0402 is excessive EGR flow, possibly stuck open. Remove the valve and check for pieces of carbon holding the valve open. Post your results.
sorry about that it is code 420
Old 06-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
BigFish246
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iwilly View Post
sorry about that it is code 420
I would not "gut out" the Cat Converter. The 02 sensors will not have the proper reading before and after the CatConverter; therefore they will constantly send codes to the engine to adjust fuel. This will make your engine run poorly. It won't clear the P0420 code.

What year is your Astro Van?

I just replaced my CatConverter with a Universal fit, you can get from autoparts for $85. Incuding Clamps and pipe reducers, whole job cost $115. Took a couple of hours.
Here is what it looks like:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=953847
BigFish246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
1iwilly
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish246 View Post
I would not "gut out" the Cat Converter. The 02 sensors will not have the proper reading before and after the CatConverter; therefore they will constantly send codes to the engine to adjust fuel. This will make your engine run poorly. It won't clear the P0420 code.

What year is your Astro Van?

I just replaced my CatConverter with a Universal fit, you can get from autoparts for $85. Incuding Clamps and pipe reducers, whole job cost $115. Took a couple of hours.
Here is what it looks like:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=953847

mine is a 97 AWD LS
Old 06-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
BigFish246
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iwilly View Post
mine is a 97 AWD LS
Yes, I think in 1996 they went with Fuel Injection and On Board Diagnositcs. You will have 3 02 Sensors = 2 02 Sensors before the CatConv and one after.

If you are 100% certain that it's the Catconvrt, then you can replace with a universal fit converter. Don't let them tell you that you need to replace the whole Y pipe. I used a reciprical saw to cut out the old one just where it begins and ends; about 1/2 inch from the weld on each side.
The you can slip on the new one and then clamp it down.
I just did this on my 2000 Astro. I dont know how different it is from your 97.
I found a Maremont Cat Conv part number 38765. The diameter of the openings on the new conv is 3 inch but the my exhaust is 2 3/4. So I found reducing couplings; Maremont 548588 (2 3/4 ID and 3'' OD). That took out the 1/4 inch gap. Then 2 3inch and 2 2-3/4inch clamps.
Now, you may just not need all that coupling and be able to clamp it down. But I thought I better not.
Pictures attached.
BigFish246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
1iwilly
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish246 View Post
Yes, I think in 1996 they went with Fuel Injection and On Board Diagnositcs. You will have 3 02 Sensors = 2 02 Sensors before the CatConv and one after.

If you are 100% certain that it's the Catconvrt, then you can replace with a universal fit converter. Don't let them tell you that you need to replace the whole Y pipe. I used a reciprical saw to cut out the old one just where it begins and ends; about 1/2 inch from the weld on each side.
The you can slip on the new one and then clamp it down.
I just did this on my 2000 Astro. I dont know how different it is from your 97.
I found a Maremont Cat Conv part number 38765. The diameter of the openings on the new conv is 3 inch but the my exhaust is 2 3/4. So I found reducing couplings; Maremont 548588 (2 3/4 ID and 3'' OD). That took out the 1/4 inch gap. Then 2 3inch and 2 2-3/4inch clamps.
Now, you may just not need all that coupling and be able to clamp it down. But I thought I better not.
Pictures attached.

actually mine has 4 o2 sensors 1 on the driver side pipe and 3 on the pass side pipe. sometime this month i'll change it thanks for the replies

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies