Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 08:11 AM   #1
CrossCountryX
AF Newbie

Question Woudl I regret buying a stripped down XE 4x4 (no packages)?

Just curious as to what everyones opinions are. I was at my dealer today, and they have an XE 4x4, 5 spd, with none of the packages on it. Its ultra-cheap at $21,739 (which is a good thing), but I'm not sure I can live without some of the packages, namely the Utility package.

Just as an FYI, I'm buying an X mainly for an upcoming trip out West in the spring, and then on up to Alaska for a month or so. I will be doing some minor mods to get the X ready for Alaska roads. I definitely want something relatively inexpensive, but am I going to regret buying the stripped down model?

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance.

Brett
Future XTerra owner
CrossCountryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 09:39 AM   #2
Ag_xterra
AF Regular

$21k for a stripped down xterra isnt cheap. i'm sure if you looked around you might be able to find a left over 2001 with most options for alittle more than that price. i bought my xterra brand new 2001 model last year for $24k, 4x4, auto, 3pk. minus $800 for the auto and i'm pretty sure you could probably land one for about $23k but with all the discounts and incentives much lower than that.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:31 AM   #3
ned946
AF Enthusiast

Re: Woudl I regret buying a stripped down XE 4x4 (no packages)?

Quote:
Originally posted by CrossCountryX
but I'm not sure I can live without some of the packages, namely the Utility package.
Looks like you answered your own question!
ned946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 10:43 AM   #4
CrossCountryX
AF Newbie

Quote:
$21k for a stripped down xterra isnt cheap.
Well, its got $21,700 on the sticker, but I anticipated probably being able to get it for less than that.

Quote:
Looks like you answered your own question!
After looking at the various packages, these are the things I think I would miss (in order of importance)...

• Limited-slip rear differential
• Auxiliary 12-volt DC power outlet (rear cargo area)
• Cruise control
• Map lights
• Variable intermittent windshield wipers
• Tilt steering wheel

I'm not big on power windows, mirrors, etc, but these things listed above would probably be missed. Now I'm sure some of these things can be added later (if I think I really need them), but how important is the LSD? I'm new to off-roading, and dont anticipate getting real hard-core into it, however, I'm headed way up north (Alaska) in the spring so I think I'll be doing alot of dirt and fire road driving. Is the LSD a must-have??

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2001, 10:46 AM   #5
Ag_xterra
AF Regular

the nissan lsd is pretty much worthless offroad. on a slick pavement is the only place you will probably notice it. nice to have in the rain and snow when using 2wd but you probably wont even miss it.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:00 PM   #6
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Ag_xterra
the nissan lsd is pretty much worthless offroad. on a slick pavement is the only place you will probably notice it. nice to have in the rain and snow when using 2wd but you probably wont even miss it.
I totally disagree the Nissan LSD might not be the strongest on the market but the difference is night and day on road when the roads get slick and snow covered...believe me my wifes 2001 Pathy does not have LSD(because Nissan smoked crack that day!..long story) and her truck reacts way differently than mine in just the wet leaves we have now...by winter time I will have to install a LSD, buy Blizzak tires or probably both(child on the way!!) just to make the truck as safe as IT SHOULD BE. No 2 ton truck should be missing at least a LSD from the factory in the first place, the maybe $50 difference in price to Nissan should have just been buried in the sticker price...I love when manufacturers call them 4x4's when actually ONLY 2 wheels(one in front, one in back) only get power at one time....what a crock of shit.

For off road the LSD can be activated to work much better by pulling up on the emergency brake just a tad, since the only option costs well over a $1000(ARB locker) if you even remotely think you might need some additional traction pay for it now.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 11:25 AM   #7
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

I have an XE with everything but the power package. If you can find one like mine you'll get everything on your want list except cruise control and map lights.

As for the LSD, no matter how much modulating of the brake peddle I do, I can't tell it's there. If you can live without the other stuff, take the money you'll save and buy an ARB locker.

Does the X you are looking at come with the roof rack? I haven't found the roof rack to be all that useful, but your X will sure look naked without it
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 11:36 AM   #8
CrossCountryX
AF Newbie

Thanks Scott. Yes, the one I'm looking at has a roof rack, but thats about it he he. I'm gonna go take it for a test drive soon and see what I think I can live with/without. Sounds like the factory LSD is nice to have, but not a must. The power stuff I can do without, but we'll have to wait and see for sure, after the test drive.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:28 PM   #9
Xlax
AF Enthusiast

I bought mine bare bones stock.

In Canada the 2001 X came with:

Roof Rack
Floor Mats
Air
Mudflaps (I cut them off)

I never wanted a fully decked X as I was used to driving a Jeep Wrangler with no gismos to repair.

Mosi (PWNX) has an AMAZING X for sale dirt cheap with all the toys and more mods than you can shake a stick at......AND the drive from Portland to Ohio would be fun!?

Claus
Xlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 05:17 PM   #10
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I find those power windows come in handy when the mud starts flying and you forgot to roll up the windows.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 02:59 PM   #11
Sc00ter
AF Newbie

Dude, just buy Mosi's truck .
Old 11-20-2001, 04:17 PM   #12
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
The biggest mistake many X owners made was settling for what was on the lot. There is always something they didn't like about the truck, leaving them unsatisfied with their ownership experience. When I walked into the dealership, I knew what I wanted and would settle for nothing less. Although if I knew then what I know now, I would have made changes, the reality is, I LOVE my X. I have been 100% happy with it as far as being equipped with what I felt was important. There are some areas that I think could have been given more thought, but all in all, it is exactly what I wanted in a truck.

If you settle for less than what you want, make darn sure you get one heckuva deal. Tell the salesman it isn't what you want. Then make a big issue of it and tell them if the price is right, you may be willing to settle for less than what you really wanted. Strippers are not in heavy demand, so you should be in the drivers seat. Don't be afraid to walk if they don't give you the deal you want. Just toss them a phone number and say, "When you get real, call me". It's not like X's aren't a dime a dozen. But most of all, don't let them think you really want the truck. In the end you will come out ahead, or about as ahead as you can considering it's not what you really want.

Just so you know, I am Systems Administrator at a car dealer and spent 12 years as New Car Service Manager. The only reason I am telling you this is because it will work and get you a great deal on vehicle that is less than what you want. If nothing else, you will feel better about the truck in the end.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 07:28 PM   #13
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
Never admit to a car dealer that the vehicle you are looking at is your dream car. Always claim its missing something you want or has something you don't want. Just make sure they don't have one sitting next to it that matches what you tell them you want. Buying a car is game, a game I love to play.
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 09:11 AM   #14
Army Sgt
AF Newbie

Your trip to Alaska .

No need to mod your X for atrip to Alaska. I drove to Fairbanks this past August, went up through Montana. Your not going to need cruise, at least from Delta Junction to Fairbanks. Thats the only place where the roads are bad. If you plan on staying up here in the Winter, get X winterized ( ie: block heater , battery blanket etc. ) Me i am here for the next 3 yrs , least thats what my boss Uncle Sam told me. Good Luck.

And by the way if you don't already know Buy a copy of the "Milepost":badass:

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail