Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Fury/Gran Fury
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 09:19 AM   #1
badassgremlin
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to badassgremlin Send a message via Yahoo to badassgremlin
318 out of an 86 gran fury

my neighbor recently entered an 86 gran fury in the local destro derby, the car was totalled but the motor and trans was fine he knew i was a mopar guy and asked if i wanted anything off of it before he sends to the junkyard, i said ill take the motor and trans (i think its a 904 torque flite) well ive started tearing it down i have the water pump,fuel pump, ac compresser,alternator,starter and a cuople ofther little odd's and ends. im curious, is there anything i should know about these engines? is it any different from a 318 from a, o god i dont know.........70 cuda? im plannin on throwin this in a volare or maybe a dodge aspen for my brother's first car. any info would be great.

B.A.G.

badassgremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:47 AM   #2
Webslinger60
AF Regular

Yes those engines are slightly different.
Starting in 85, Chrysler made two BIG improvments to the LA engine family 318 & 360. First both have roller cams and even though the cam
duration (240/248) stayed the same, the 'roller" design reacts quicker.

Second the heads intake ports wrere re-shaped & called "swirl-port" heads. The 318 is casting#302 and the 360 is casting#308.
The 318's #302 heads had more of a dramatic swirl effect and higher
compression ratio.

So even though the late 80's 318's were choked with emissions systems and a poorly designed computer ignition, the Net HP stayed at around
150, or 70's levels. A late "roller" 318 installed in an older car without
emissions stuff runs very strong.

Many Mopar guys say if you take the #302 head & install the larger
360 size valves, that mod alone is good for 50 horsepower.
HIgher performance roller cams for Mopars are expensive though, about $300 bucks. try to find a 85-89 Police Diplomat with the 318 4bbl.
That engine had the 360 #308 heads & a 268/276 roller cam.
Webslinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:08 AM   #3
JohnClark318
AF Newbie

Re: 318 out of an 86 gran fury

Ok...the 1986 318 is a solid base. Roller cam, good heads. HOTROD spect $1500 and got over 400hp out of one of these. Post the heads well, add 2.02/1.60 valves, good cam, Air-Gap manifold, Holley 650, and good ignition...She'll MOVE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassgremlin
my neighbor recently entered an 86 gran fury in the local destro derby, the car was totalled but the motor and trans was fine he knew i was a mopar guy and asked if i wanted anything off of it before he sends to the junkyard, i said ill take the motor and trans (i think its a 904 torque flite) well ive started tearing it down i have the water pump,fuel pump, ac compresser,alternator,starter and a cuople ofther little odd's and ends. im curious, is there anything i should know about these engines? is it any different from a 318 from a, o god i dont know.........70 cuda? im plannin on throwin this in a volare or maybe a dodge aspen for my brother's first car. any info would be great.

B.A.G.
JohnClark318 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Fury/Gran Fury