Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
Brad4321
AF Newbie

My New Stealth

I have picked up (well, tomorrow morning, actually ) a 91 stealth twin turbo. The engine runs pretty strong, but it has worn valve guides. If I could do it reasonably, I wouldn't mind going through the entire engine. Without knowing previous history of the car, and having the head off, I figure it wouldn't hurt.

I have all of the equipment to do the complete rebuild in my shop, so that part isn't an issue. However, I have read some threads here on rebuilds and all of them list into the thousands for parts. This confuses me a little since my main part supplier is much cheaper.

http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...ts-chrys3.html

Before I e-mail them, I am curious to see if anyone here knows. What is the difference between the 91 and 92 turbo engines? I didn't think there was any, but they don't list a kit for the 91 turbo...

Since no one has ever listed this company as a source for their parts (flatlanderracing company), I am wondering why. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use their kit?

Where do people generally get their forged pistons/cranks/rods from?

Where can I find cams?

I am considering making a track car out of this car, so any increase in power I could get would be appreciated. I have read about 3.7L stroker kit, but I haven't found one for sale yet. With my experience in big block ford strokers, a stroker kit is always a good deal. Is there any known complications running a stroker kit on higher than stock boost (14psi or so)? Where can I find the stroker kit?

I would like to hit 500HP, if reasonably possible. This is what I am considering using to get there.

High flow intake
New turbo-back less restrictive exhaust, downpipe
Boost Controller and Boost Gauge (for increased boost, also take this to include many other guages)
High-Flow Cat
Higher capacity Fuel pump
550cc injectors
15g turbos (possibility, depending on the money situation)
Intercooler
Port heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds

I will also upgrade the brakes, suspension, clutch, tires, ect to safetly handle the extra power.

I know a little about aerodynamics, enough to say that the stealth has decent aerodynamics from the factory in its class. However, many of the body kits out there look like they would be decent on the aerodynamics side as well. For example, I fell in love with this one as soon as I seen it. I am usually not into body kits and things as they tend to make the cars look like ricers with a "25HP gain hubcap!!", but that one seems to be different. It also appears to have inlets in the bumper for brake cooling. That will be a necessity for me.

I think my question involving this is does anyone have any experience with any of the body kits and actual aerodynamics? I am also wanting to lower a inch or so. The less air under the car, the better.
Brad4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: My New Stealth

Wow, so many questions in one post...surprised nobody even attempted to answer some of them. I'll try my best.

91 and 92 turbod cars are pretty much the same. Some changes were made halfway through 92, all of which are listed in the FAQ...so check that out.

As far as the price of rebuilds. Perhaps they are listed as more expensive, because either a) the owner will be paying somebody else to do the work, or b) the person giving the quote was suggesting aftermarket upgraded internals.

As far as the 2 companys/websites you mentioned, I have never heard of either, so I really couldn't fairly comment on either. Generally, the 3S community is pretty much a tight-knit group, so we try and keep our business with the companies that support our platform. Many companies overlook our cars due to the rarity and lack of continued production...so we generally support those companies who have made themselves a part of our community.

That said, cams can be found at www.3sxperformance.com and www.dynamicracing.com and possibly even www.importpoweronline.com (not sure about that one) And probably a few other sites mentioned in the FAQ.

The stroker kits are being made by:
http://www.pampenamotorsports.com/

I don't honestly know whether the stroker kits are available yet...so I can't comment on the possible complications. But considering that they are coming from Ray's shop...I'd guess they will be top-quality. He has a vr4 with 700-800hp, and is an amazing tuner...so he knows what he is doing.

As far as how to reach 500hp...are you talking at the crank or at the wheels. Regardless, there are many ways to reach it...but you will need to do a turbo upgrade. There are dozens of options, which should all be researched. As many are good for track use and can produce really high hp numbers...but may not be the most practical for street use, due to the high-octane demands. It really comes down to a personal choice of what will meet your needs/desires. If you check out www.3si.org/forum There are hundreds of threads comparing a variety of turbo upgrades. Some of the more popular ones are the DR500s, DR650s, 13Gs, 15Gs, 13Ts. These are the ones primarily used on the street. DR800s, DR1000s, 17Gs, 20Gs, etc are more track-specific turbos IMO...but obviously there are people who mix that analysis up and have their own opinoins...so please don't take that as anything more than my opinion.

There are some upgrade guides in the FAQ as well that you may wish to check out.

Also, check out www.stealth316.com I don't know if you are familiar with this site, but it has TONS of invaluable information relevant to many different topics.

Bodykits will meet with varied opinions around here. There are those who like them, and those who despise them. But if you do a search, you can find most of those threads.

Lowering is an excellent idea for a variety of reasons. Obviously less air under the car, better cornering, less body roll, less ugly wheel gap, etc. I think www.3sxperformance.com has the majority of good options available for our car. Obviously the other vendors may have better prices, so check them out as well.

Hope that helps. Also when you have a question, try doing a search as alot of this info has been discussed previously.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
3kgt222
AF Enthusiast

am not really an expert on cars but that body kit looked really rice out...., but it up to you.
3kgt222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Brad4321
AF Newbie

Flatlander racing is tied into indy cylinder head, and other big name manufactures for american V8's. They are really popular for that, and put out high quality parts as a result. I have bought rebuild kits from them before and I didn't have any quality issues. However, there is a difference between an FE block ford and a 3.0L. Importperformanceparts is their introduction into the nonamerican v8, basically.

I was talking about 500HP at the crank. After I didn't get a reply here, I did post at www.3si.org/forum and got loaded with info.
Brad4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Please please please do not buy that body kit. It destroys the lines of a beautiful car. It also wont work properly with your car anyhow. It says its for a 91-93 Stealth but in reality it is only direct bolt on for a first gen 3000gt. Good luck on the car though.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth