Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 7 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
clearkut
AF Newbie

Center support bearing fails repeatedly

So on my 83 733i I had a center support bearing go this summer, so I replaced it, along with the flex disc, and inspected tran and diff mounts, to find all looks solid, not crushed or torn, so I thought all was good but the new center support that came was not the same as what I had removed, so I double checked with the supplier, and it it the right one. So a couple of months go by and the center support symptoms are back, so I look under the car to find the new center support completely broken from it's mounting tabs, but otherwise fine, replaced and figured I got a lemon, and replaced again with the same one, six weeks later another failure, and another replacement is purchased this time the best one I can get in my city, the exact same part as the cheapo, so I returned it and threw in another Altrom cheap one, and surprise 6 weeks later it's broken again, so I find a bilstein one and order it up, part is again the 26111206502 center support with bearing, but it looks just like the cheap Altrom one but costs more, it just went into the car yesterday, trans and diff mounts still look good, but I think the center support actually broke out on the way home from changing it, all was good the after a quick
acceleration the vibration is starting again.........?

Update....

So there is no vibration from a standing start, regardless of throttle light or heavy, there is no vibration at highway speeds 100km/h + even when passing with heavy acceleration, the only vibration is around 45km/h this vibration seems to be proportional to throttle, very light throttle and there is little to no vibration, and worse from there, but when this occurs if I let of the throttle, I can pretty much put it to the floor and keep going with no more vibrations????

Anyone have any ideas on what up with this?
So I have not confirmed the most recent failure yet, but what I need to know is what is causing this, and when looking at BMW center supports why is the 7 series have the weakest one out there, is there an better one that will fit my car than the 26111206502?

Last edited by clearkut; 02-20-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Update on issue
clearkut is offline   Reply With Quote