Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
koba58
AF Newbie

2002 Elantra Trasmission Issue

Our 2002 Elantra (automatic, 57000k) seems to have a blown transmission. A few days ago, it sounded like the car was "whining" and then it was having difficult time engaging the next gear and eventually check engine came on and the car stalled. Firestone said it's a transmission problem.

We've had the car for less than 10 years so technically this should be covered under their powertrain warranty but I have strong suspicion that the dealership will find a reason to not honor the warranty. It's still below 60k miles so we really didn't have to replace the transmission oil. Should I still take this to them and see what they say? They say the transmission diagnostics is going to cost me ~ $100 and then they will be able to determine whether this is warranty covered repair. If it is not something that is covered by the warranty, I don't want to pay extra premium to repair/replace the transmission at the dealership. I'd rather have a local mechanic (I got some recommendation) do the job for a reasonable price.

Any advice? We've done all the scheduled maintenance but I don't think I can track down all the receipts for the services (they were done at different places because we've moved around quite a bit). Has anyone been in a similar situation? If this is not covered by the warranty, how much would transmission repair/replacement cost at a Hyundai dealership?
koba58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999
Re: 2002 Elantra Trasmission Issue

Hyundai actually recommends the transmission be serviced every 30k miles on that car, so you should have had one done already. If you are the original owner, and original purchase date is less then 10 years, then it might be covered. Would be up to Hyundai.

Believe it or not, we (a Hyundai dealership) usually beat the transmission shops on a replacement. Hyundai reman transmissions list at $1629.03. I typically sell them for $1200. After fluid and labor, we are usually right around $2k. I have a couple transmission shops that buy enough I give them good deals and sell them the transmissions for $1k. Then they turn around and sell them for $2k, then labor on top of that. Might want to look into that before you take it in.
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

I would at least give Hyundai the chance and see what they have to offer... You might be out 100 bucks but if they cover it, and you might have to fight for it but it could turn into a good thing...

Like stated tho, they say change the fluid every 30K..... I have a friend that has a couple of Hyundai's.... One still under factory warranty... He refuses to let Hyundai work on it for the most part... So I work on it for him... I make him buy Hyundai Oil filters and Hyundai SP3 fluid for the trans... We make sure the oil is changed every 3000 and we don't let the trans go 30K.... we change the fluid once a year as it gets soo hot here in FL....

On his sons 03 Elantra we will do the SP3 Trans fluis and oil change in a month or so... He buys enough filters and SP3 fluid from them that he gets good prices on the parts/Fluid...

I personally am not a big fan of the Hyundai automatic trans in the Elantras... Personally in the Elantra I prefer the manual...

Let us know how you make out...
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999

The transmission will last forever if you maintain them. I have a customer that has a 2001 Elantra. He bought it used with just under 100k on it. Last I talked to him, he was over 350k miles, 250k of which was delivering newspapers. Still on the original engine and transmission. Changes the oil every 2 weeks, transmission fluid every 2 months (due to the constant stop and go of delivering newspapers). Maintenance is key to making them last a long time.
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote