Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
leomisfits
AF Newbie

Buying a new car first timer

I want to buy a new car, I've never driven before but I'm taking lessons. I don't think I'll need insurance because I'll drive slow. I haven't been to any dealerships or test driven any cars (no license, can't drive) but I picked out one online that I liked the look of. Once I have a car I should be able to get a job to pay for gas. Should I buy a new car? Is there anything I might need to know first?
The car I want is the 2014 Ford Fiesta.
leomisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Buying a new car first timer

You need insurance. 100% you need it. Liability insurance protects you against claims, because accidents happen regardless of your degree of care. Theft insurance protects your new asset - your car.

Last time I looked, Saskachewan had a government-run auto insurance program that made insurance relatively affordable.

Finally, figure out what kind of a budget you have for a car. How much can you afford? . If you have no job, you can't afford much for payments, so a new car may be out of your price range. Buy something reliable and cheap, for your first car. You can always trade-up when you have some money together.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
leomisfits
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
You need insurance. 100% you need it. Liability insurance protects you against claims, because accidents happen regardless of your degree of care. Theft insurance protects your new asset - your car.

Last time I looked, Saskachewan had a government-run auto insurance program that made insurance relatively affordable.

Finally, figure out what kind of a budget you have for a car. How much can you afford? . If you have no job, you can't afford much for payments, so a new car may be out of your price range. Buy something reliable and cheap, for your first car. You can always trade-up when you have some money together.
I can't afford an insurance... I'll drive carefuly. My parent's will buy the car, so the price doesn't really matter.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
leomisfits
AF Newbie

Also I thought the Ford New Fiesta would actually be a good car for me, not because it looks good, but it's an economic, powerful, and safe car for a good price. 14k $
Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Wow...let me start by saying I used to work in auto liability, and no matter how slow you drive there is a set of circumstances that can cause an accident for anyone, and especially for a new driver like yourself.

Say you get into an accident and are uninsured. The traffic ticket and possibility of losing your license are the least of your worries. You can be sued by the other driver for millions of dollars (I am not exaggerating, I saw it happen) and F*CK yourself over for the rest of your life. Please don't do it.

You said you'll get the car, THEN get a job to pay for gas?

Get the job first, since you'll need to save up for:
registration
insurance
maintenance
gas

I knew a guy that had enough for a nice car, got it, then it sat forever since he couldn't afford gas or insurance on it. Having your first car sit outside, undriven, sucks.

Your choice of car seems solid; there will be many 2014 Fiestas available when you have the cash.

Don't like to be a downer, but that's the real picture; there is much more that goes into car ownership than just buying gas. In your situation, my plan would be to drive with Mom and Dad's vehicle for awhile while saving up the couple thousand dollars you'll need. Not only will this allow you to drive your baby when you get it, but your parents will consider you more mature and give you a bit more freedom....
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
leomisfits
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan View Post
Wow...let me start by saying I used to work in auto liability, and no matter how slow you drive there is a set of circumstances that can cause an accident for anyone, and especially for a new driver like yourself.

Say you get into an accident and are uninsured. The traffic ticket and possibility of losing your license are the least of your worries. You can be sued by the other driver for millions of dollars (I am not exaggerating, I saw it happen) and F*CK yourself over for the rest of your life. Please don't do it.

You said you'll get the car, THEN get a job to pay for gas?

Get the job first, since you'll need to save up for:
registration
insurance
maintenance
gas

I knew a guy that had enough for a nice car, got it, then it sat forever since he couldn't afford gas or insurance on it. Having your first car sit outside, undriven, sucks.

Your choice of car seems solid; there will be many 2014 Fiestas available when you have the cash.

Don't like to be a downer, but that's the real picture; there is much more that goes into car ownership than just buying gas. In your situation, my plan would be to drive with Mom and Dad's vehicle for awhile while saving up the couple thousand dollars you'll need. Not only will this allow you to drive your baby when you get it, but your parents will consider you more mature and give you a bit more freedom....
Thanks man, that's what I'm doing.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
jesonmartin45
AF Newbie

it's good to hear that ... but insurance protects you in many ways....you should think about that too..
jesonmartin45 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A