Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:00 PM   #16
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

D Money, you I can agree with on who should be kept out. Posers, ricers, and wannabe punkesses in general do NOT belong in any situation where skill and common sense/knowledge are necessary.

When people's safety or the livelihood of a hobby is jeopardized because people value "the image" (few terms are more prone to making me vomit uncontrollably than image) it royally pisses me off. I can't begin to tell you how much F&F posers have ruined the good name of the few true import rodders at my school (all of whom, including me, graduated this year; an S13 guy who was saving for a SR20DET and intent on going into SCCA Improved Touring competition, a dude with a autocross tuned Mirage, my BGT, a stout early Civic also for autocrossing, and a first gen MR2). We who have cars we poured blood, sweat, and tears into and actually did fabricating on couldn't get any respect simply because we were into something remotely similar to the posers.

(Mr. Koubal, thanks for letting us use up so much of the stuff for the MIG welder on Derek's old Storm)

The same applies here and I agree. Some kid thinking he's true slideways will slam into a parked car, or a porch, or a person, and tarnish the name of a hobby/sport that is actually pretty well respected amongst knowledgable fans. I don't want that to happen in the least, because it would ruin a lot for a lot of people. Including me and my B! I drift her myself and with some measure of true success.

I'll concede the point about keeping out posers and riff-raff by trying to keep a tight focus on things. I'd just like it not to be at the narrow exclusion of APPLICABLE techniques and ideas.

Some kid wondering how he can pull off Initial D stuff in his Accord = Not needed

Sharing ideas amongst the different worlds of motorsport where common ground is found to better understanding and improve techniques = Very needed.

Heck, maybe there'd be some way for one of you guys to rig up a "Jacob's Ladder" on an S13's rear suspension. It's this neat little parallel link on a sprint car's rear suspension that counteracts centrifugal force to jack weight off of the right rear and onto the left rear to sustain the drift.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:54 PM   #17
Suislide
AF Fanatic

alright. i'm not saying much more then this: i and many other people were under the impression (and rightfully so) that this forum was started for the sole purpose of talking about Japanese D1-Style drifting. i do not discount the skill of ice-racers, sprint car drivers, old skool F1 drivers, or anyone else who tosses out their back end. but that's not the drifting we want to talk about. the Japanese drifting is all about style and skill. how well you can hold the drift, how long, how many you can link up without fucking up etc. that's what the sport is. they're not trying to get fast lap times or anything else. we're not talking about powersliding sprint cars that are trying to get a fast lap-time on a dirt track oval.

we want to talk about drifting: the sport. not drifting: the word.

btw, i admit my "hillbilly" comment was out of line.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:30 AM   #18
D Money1644
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to D Money1644
ok, now we're getting somewhere. sounds to me like we're finally getting things all straightened out so everyone in this forum can cooperate and actually have something worthwhile to gain by coming here. with everyone seemingly on good terms with eachother, can we get back to the subject at hand? namely, drifting.

it's about time we start enjoying talking here about drifting as much as we enjoy actually drifting.
-When in doubt, mumble; when in trouble, delegate.
-A bird in hand is safer than one overhead.
-Celibacy is not hereditary.
-Trying is the first step toward failure. (Homer Simpson)
-No one's life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session.
-Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.
-Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.
-A penny saved is not worth very much.
-Celibacy is a hands-on job. (think about it)
D Money1644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:27 AM   #19
Takeshi_Nakazato
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Takeshi_Nakazato
Quote:
Drifting is admired not for its showmanship, but by the fact that it is a display of ultimate control. To be able to control a 900+horsepower, 1400lb car with a 96inch wheelbase on dirt when surrounded by 19 other such land based missles takes dare I say MORE SKILL than it does to sling a 1984 Toyota Corolla around a hairpin.
Hey, Octagon, no need to bring Corollas into this, they didn't do anything wrong to you did they?

1986 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 Hatch (Project 20V)
Takeshi_Nakazato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:44 AM   #20
Drfthis
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Drfthis
circle track and nascar are LAME!!! It's the same thing for a hundred laps or more all left hand turns most of the time . I do have to say that the nascar and other drivers are very skilled to take a car around a track at 180mph+ and keep it steady, but the reason we all like D1 style drifting is because it's interesting to watch and you never know what will happen D1 is just as cool as rally. the tracks are always cool. Nrrow ass roads cars going insane speeds wipin the car around a hair pin apex with great skill thats what it's all about , right
Drfthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:32 AM   #21
BOOSTD
AF Enthusiast

I am just getting so pissed off with this. Why can't you people understand that THIS IS A FORUM DEDICATED TO JAPANESE STYLE DRIFT? We don't want to hear about how well Civic's can Drift or how good F1 and Nascar is. If you want to talk about that stuff then talk about it in the proper forums. I come into this forum to talk about real Drift and so far there has not been a lot posted on this subject. It's time to start the good stuff going and in future lets not reply to any of these kinds of posts, if we don't reply then maybe they will learn not to post them here. Just my 2c.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:45 PM   #22
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

*sighs* And we'd had this sorted out before.

Nope, Corollas did nothing to me and I happen to like the AE86 a lot. I just used it as an example, but you knew that right?

Drfthis, however, you've obviously never even seen a sprint car race. It's about thirty laps of going around left hand turns while steering right and feathering the throttle to keep two massive unequally staggered rear wheels spinning so that momentum is maitained but what little control you have isn't lost.

And there's 21 other guys swarmed around you doing the exact same thing on an ever changing track surface that pitches and tosses the cars and loses available grip as the race wears on.

But, in any case. We'd solved this argument before. There was no need to drag it back up.

And I made no mention of NASCAR, only USAC, the World of Outlaws, and Formula One.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:49 PM   #23
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
i hate ovals

the only experience is on GT3 with ovals and its boring and hard and annoying and my front right wears out (diff is set wrong)

But watching NASCAR is one of the most boring things ever. Simpsons proved this its dull unless theres a car crash and that isn't a good thing.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:04 PM   #24
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Yes, superspeedways are boring as hell and I avoid them at all costs. It's the short dirt ovals that sprint cars, Silver Crown, late models, modifieds, and midgets race on that are interesting and require actual skill.

The closest thing in England I could liken them to is a rallycross course. So, just picture weird open wheel cars turning left, but with the competition and fury of a rallycross grid for spectacle.

For the rest of you, short tracks are located around the country and have racing almost every Friday through Sunday night. Speed TV carries the World of Outlaws and Xtreme Dirt Car latemodels, and ESPN2 carries USAC Silver Crown, USAC Midgets, and USAC wingless sprints.

Heck, there are over twenty dirt ovals in Ohio alone.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:56 PM   #25
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
i remember watchin banger racing once that was crap low performance cars

They also had open (to the elements) vehicles that had larger power and slid round the dirt course.

It really isn't as impressive as a car sliding sideways with a load of smoke on a road circuit
Old 06-25-2003, 06:48 PM   #26
Suislide
AF Fanatic

we SAID that we have no dis-respect for dirt-track racers. i realize that it takes skill to do what they do. i never once said that they weren't skilled. what remains is that this is a drifting forum that was started with the intentions of being a Japanese-style drifting forum. you are the ones who came in here claiming that "it's a general forum, it's a general forum". it is not. i'm done with this thread now.

as i said before. we want to talk about drifting the motorsport itself, not drifting that's used in ANOTHER motorsport.