Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | bodykits | Lighting When your ready to showoff that 'H' ride, here's your forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 12:53 AM   #1
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

JDM Front end Fiberglass or OEM??

Hey my friend is thinking about getting a JDM front end conversion. So the question is which is better to get Fiberglass or OEM metal. He is not sure weather he is going with all show or show and go. Anyone know the weight difference between the 2? Thanks
Old 01-04-2002, 01:30 AM   #2
xivera
AF Enthusiast

Pic!?

Imho, the bumpers should be urethane because they are somewhat easy to fix and, fiberglass will break/shatter (depending on speed). If not urethane, then fiberglass.
Usually, urethane weighs more than fiberglass but, fiberglass is easier to paint.
They both have their pros & cons. It depends primarily on what your friend is looking for in a bumper.

Your first mod = HELMS MANUAL!!!
xivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:40 AM   #3
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

This isn't just for the bumper, this is for the whole conversion. I guess you pay the extra just to have the hood and fenders in metal. Maybe someone has done it here and can help my friend out?
Old 01-04-2002, 02:48 AM   #4
s0cal0cal
AF Newbie

i have the all metal conversion and compared to a fiberglass kit you'll really only be saving weight in terms of the hood, and the metal hood is heavy. but a fiberglass version will cost less than half than that of a oem metal conversion. but i'd guess around a 60 pound or more weight saving with the fiberglass. kits are limited for the jdm front end, you either get a add on chin spoilers or a completely new bumper. if your friend plans on keeping the stock look and maybe getting a chin spoiler than i'd probably choose the urethane front bumper.

personally i'd opt for the all metal kit , unless he plans on getting a carbon fiber hood. no sense in paying extra for stuff you'll end up replacing in the future.
s0cal0cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 08:49 PM   #5
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

So the fiberglass kit makes everything fiberglass hood, fenders bumpers?

And the OEM metal, the fenders are metal, hood is metal, and the front bumper is uerathane?

But shouldn't the fiberglass kit weigh a lot less than the oem metal if the fenders and front bumper are fiber glass?

My friend was looking to getting a cf hood. Do you know how much the hood costs?

Sorry ofr asking so much my friends computer is broken right now.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:54 AM   #6
s0cal0cal
AF Newbie

i doubt there is any weight difference between the fiberglass and metal when it comes to the fenders. the metal fenders are ultra thin and light as they are, if anything maybe the thicker made fiberglass fenders could possibly be heavier.
as for weight differences in the bumper, you'll save a few pounds but nothing major. basically all the weight difference is in the hood.
im not really a big fan of the carbon fiber hood fad but i've seen some really nice ones selling for under 450. ask around for which brands sell for how much and what quality to expect from them.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:52 AM   #7
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

Hey if you don't mind me asking but where did you get your conversion and how much did you pay for it?

I have only found the metal one for 2500 and then the fiberglass for 1800.

Thanks lot
Old 01-07-2002, 07:22 PM   #8
s0cal0cal
AF Newbie

2500 is a really good price, i paid the average price of 3000. but i had gotten into an accident prior which actually convinced me to do the conversion. so technically i only spent my deductible of 500. the JDM parts are a little cheaper than the USDM parts also so i made out on it pretty good. 1800 for the fiberglass is a decent price but ive seen them sell for cheaper. if i were in your friends' place i'd concentrate on what i'd want my car to look like as the end result. and get the parts individually instead of getting the conversion at once only to end up replacing the majority of it with other parts.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:17 PM   #9
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

Where did you find them cheaper? thanks inadvance
Old 01-10-2002, 10:18 PM   #10
s0cal0cal
AF Newbie

a friend of mine got his fiberglass conversion for 1400 at a shop somewhere in los angeles but im not quite sure of the name. fiberglass bumper, hood, and fenders. the radiator core support of course was oem metal, as the headlights were oem also. any good body shop can make a knockoff, as any fiberglass version is a knockoff of the metal version. it all depends on who made it, hell, i can get a replica of any kit i want for under 450 bucks because i live in cali, where almost all of them come from. where exactly are you from?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:19 PM   #11
hybridDC2
AF Enthusiast

oem honda parts for mine :sun:
hybridDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:50 PM   #12
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

Thanks....a lot. Looks nice. How much did you pay? thanks inadvance
Old 01-11-2002, 11:07 PM   #13
hybridDC2
AF Enthusiast

the conversion and the kit cost me 3500. that's funny because i got into a tiny accident where it managed to mess up my left fender, hood, bumper, and headlight. like socal said, jdm parts are cheaper than the us ones. full coverage insurance is because i made out like a :bandit:
hybridDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting