Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 02:29 PM   #1
94civic
AF Enthusiast

which coilover setup?

i'm looking into a different suspension setup. i'm looking for a setup that will give me a smooth ride, but can still take the corners pretty nice. i was hinking maybe some GC's with koni yellows or the progress suspension full coilover setup. what do you guys think?
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 02:38 PM   #2
94civic
AF Enthusiast

i was also looking inot the yokohama advan a032r's and te dna gp tires which do you think is better to go with. i'm going with 205/50/15.
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 05:52 PM   #3
Duatone
AF Enthusiast

in the long run, you'd be better off to save the extra pennies and buy the full strut/coilover setup. from what ive heard from a couple people, tein has a really good setup, and yes, the progress ones arep retty good too, not to mention (we'll when i last seen them) they are cheap., for the other way, I myself, have tokico illumina 5 way adjustibles with arospeed coilovers, and i have them on a faily stiff setting right now, but i love them, although, if it were me, id take my own advice and save for the real coilover/struts, but hey, I got a hell of a deal on these, so im not gonna complain.
Duatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
I have Tein SS's myself on my ride. I have felt nothing yet to date better than them, not even the H&R full coilover setup on of my friend's has on his Civic. With the height adjustment, AND 16-way ride dampning comfort adjustability, the SS system just can't be beat, esp. for it's LOW price! I got mine for $850. Try finding a reputable (not like APC or Arospeed crap, but like Tanube, HKS, JIC, H&R) FULL coilover set up with 16, 20 or 24 way dampning ajustment on it for as good of a price, if not at least UNDER $1000. Simply put, you won't, for the price you'd pay for the G/C's and Yellows, that's about what you'd pay for a set of Tein SS's, maybe about $100 than the G/C setup. Good luck with it.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:24 AM   #5
Beyond Imagination
AF Fanatic

i love my tein's too
Old 10-02-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
Quetzolcotl
AF Enthusiast

i have progress coil-overs and i love them. make sure that what ever you buy is rebuildable. that way if you ever blow one you aren't screwed. i also highly recomend a sway bar if you want to corner like a madman. my tires used to rub the fender wells when cornering agressivly but not after the sway bar install.

Be like Ike.
Quetzolcotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:49 AM   #7
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer
Quote:
Originally posted by Duatone
in the long run, you'd be better off to save the extra pennies and buy the full strut/coilover setup. from what ive heard from a couple people, tein has a really good setup, and yes, the progress ones arep retty good too, not to mention (we'll when i last seen them) they are cheap., for the other way, I myself, have tokico illumina 5 way adjustibles with arospeed coilovers, and i have them on a faily stiff setting right now, but i love them, although, if it were me, id take my own advice and save for the real coilover/struts, but hey, I got a hell of a deal on these, so im not gonna complain.
That's totally not true. I don't know anyone (competitive) that uses Teins, Mugen or the like full coilover suspensions. Take a look at STS and you will see all the top dogs use custom rate Ground Controls and Koni Yellows. My setup (350f/400r) is 100x better than my setup last year. And I have only took 2nd place twice this year (out of 25 autocrosses).
Buy my Civic parts!
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 12:54 AM   #8
AznDragon
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznDragon
SilverY2KCivic -

where did you get you Tein SS's for such a good price?
-GReddy Evolution Catback
-AEM CAI
-H&R Sport Springs
-Bilstein HD Shocks
-Magnecor Plug Wires
-B&M Edge Short Shifter
-ITR Shift Knob
-Alpine 9813
-Infinity Reference 6.5" Components
-Infinity Reference 6.5" 2-ways
-(2) 12" Kicker Comp VR's
-Kicker 400.2 amp
-Alpine SEC-150R
-Carbon Fiber Euros
-Clear Corners
-Custom Fogs
-Grill Craft front grill
AznDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 02:27 AM   #9
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:
Originally posted by AznDragon
SilverY2KCivic -

where did you get you Tein SS's for such a good price?
A local shop near me in San Gabrial CA called Impex Motorsport I think that's the correct addy to them. Anyways, that price is only for in store purchase, online they are a litle more if I remember right. Just do what I did if you are interested in them, shop around. You'll be amazed at how much you can save on stuff by doing that.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 10-04-2002, 02:37 AM   #10
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by CivicSiRacer

That's totally not true. I don't know anyone (competitive) that uses Teins, Mugen or the like full coilover suspensions. Take a look at STS and you will see all the top dogs use custom rate Ground Controls and Koni Yellows. My setup (350f/400r) is 100x better than my setup last year. And I have only took 2nd place twice this year (out of 25 autocrosses).
I can see that being true but at least I know with Teins, you can also order them with virtually any spring rate you want, and they are 100% fully re-valveable and re-buildable. I'm not sure if Koni Yellows are or not, but I'd imagine so... I still think a spring specifically matched to a shock is the way to go, as is the case with coilovers. No chance of having the spring our perform the shock so that it blows under normal circumstances. And I doubt most other companies that make springs or coilovers has as extensive of a manufacturing process as Tein from the looks of things in the 8+ page spread on them in the Nov. '02 issue of SCC. But if you don't go full coilover, there's no arguing that your set up of G/C's and Koni yellows is the way to go, that's how I almost ended up going after all.

When I auto-x'ed a couple weeks ago, I couldn't have been more satisfied with the feel and balance of my ride. True it was only my first one, but it gave me a whole different outlook and feel of how my suspension handles. MUCH different than any of the local mountain roads can offer, that's for sure. But for the comfort and performance of them, even having ridden in G/C and Koni Yellow equipped cars, and even a car with the $1200 H&R coilover system, the Teins are the best feeling ones I've ridden on or felt.

hessemer69 on AIM

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels