Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
precious986532
AF Newbie

Wont start, and when it does there's a chance it will stall

When I start it up I have to push the gas all the way to the floor and then it will usually start up. Sometimes it will stall when I push on the brake then immediately push on the gas. For instance, if I want to turn left but other cars are coming and I have to brake then if I push the gas right after then it stalls. Right now it is not starting at all, I think it may be that I ran it hard yesterday, because the last time I ran it hard, it was stalling even if I would pause before hitting the gas. PLEASE HELP!!

Sorry, I should have put the info when I first posted......it is a 1998 and it is an automatic....I'm not sure of the engine, but we just changed the battery less then 6 months ago. I'm not really sure about the spark plugs or the other things, but the guy who works on it just put in an engine, it was a used one, but better then what we had. Also, it seems that it just happened all the sudden after the engine was put in, but the guy who works on it put different parts on the newer engine (not sure what though). Thank you!

Last edited by precious986532; 01-01-2012 at 11:38 PM.
precious986532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: Wont start, and when it does there's a chance it will stall

Did the problem start suddenly, or has it gotten worse over time?

What year is it?

How many miles do you have?

Manual or automatic transmission?

What engine?

How long since you got a new battery?

How many miles since you got new spark plugs (and cap and rotor if before '99)?

With the answers to the questions above we will be able to help you better.

However....

in general if you have the 4.0 Liter inline six, you could be having an issue with the CPS, crankshaft position sensor. It can cause hard starting and make your engine cut out, and in some cases, make your auto transmission shift wrong. Please post back with your answers to the above, so we can help.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote