Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
nickm2008
AF Newbie

96 Geo metro LSI Idle Too High When Hot

From a cold start the car idles between 1-2 as normal. but then u drive it for say 45 mins to an hour and its like the throttle sticks while driving and the rpms go up to about the 3 at 35 mph and the car drives itself and its very hard to stop it once it does this stuff then you put in park the idle jumps way up to sometimes the 5. This is after its warmed up its fine when its cool and not hot usuall u let it sit about 2 hours or more and u can get back in it and its fine i had several people look at it and they cant figure it out said it needs to be put on a machine so i wanted to see what u guys say about it what do u think it could be and is it an easy fix or something thats gonna cost a fortune??? Thanks.
nickm2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
redpepe
AF Regular

Re: 96 Geo metro LSI Idle Too High When Hot

i'm not familiar with the 96 but if it has a throtle positioner, i'd start there. when it's 'racing', check the actual position of the throtle cable relative to where it should be at an idle.
redpepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
nickm2008
AF Newbie

im not sure what it has im not really mechanically inclined but if someone can give me directions i can have someone that is mechanically inclined to do it and see if we get anything out of it. Someone told me it might be a throttle position sensor but have no idea what or where that is lol. I just know its a great car when its cold but once it gets hot its a different story pretty much drives me more than i drive it. Consumes more gas too since its doing this makes it have really crappy milage. I did drive with the air cleaner off for a good hour and let the engine heat up and it wasnt so bad it revved a bit but not as bad to where i couldnt control it so something tells me its not getting enough air maybe im not sure what kinda factor that plays with a car but i know if a computer gets too hot its gonna act up prolly blow up lol a car i dont know where air plays a role at but im sure it matters some.. thanks
nickm2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
shdtree12
AF Newbie

My neighbor is having the same problem with her 97 lsi . I checked for a stuck throttle cable and also disconnected the throttle position sensor and the problem continues . It doesn't seem to matter if her engine is warm or cold . I'm baffled . It seems to be sending to much fuel to the engine . Anybody have any ideas ?
shdtree12 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro