Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
ropDave
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ropDave
Question '86 323 won't start

Okay, here's the deal. I've got a problem starting this little beauty. It used to be a daily runner until it just decided not to start. Th timing belt is fine, it's got new plugs, wires, and fuel filter. It does appear to have plenty of spark.

I noticed when I took the hose off of the filter that I only spilled about a teaspoon of gas. With fuel injection I'm sure there's supposed to be more pressure than that so I checked the fuel pump. I hooked-up a hose to the discharge tube on the fuel pump and hit the starter. It pumped out what looks like plenty of fuel. The car does seem to run, kind-of, when I take a spray bottle and spray gas into the throttle body. As soon as I stop spraying, the engine quits.

I've checked at the local parts stores but nobody has a tester that is compatible with a fuel injection system.

Other than buying an expensive tester is there another way to evaluate the pump? New pumps are $160 so I'm not wild about playing the swap and pray game.
ropDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
ropDave
AF Newbie

Okay guys I did manage to get this baby started and she's been running just fine the last 4 months or so. but now the strater won't turn the engine. The battery's fine, the starter tested fine and there's no short in the cable but the starter just makes this a grinding noise with no engine movement at all.

Chilton manual is pretty useless. No troubleshooting help at all. Don't know what else it could be. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: '86 323 won't start

Do you have a multimeter to check voltage? if you do check for 12 volts at the heavy cable at the starter/solenoid. If good have someone try starting the car while checking the voltage, the voltage will drop but it should be no less than 9-10 volts. If less inspect the battery to starter cable. If you have a clamp on battery terminal (the type that has two bolts to clamp the terminal to the cable) that is probably where the problem is. Make sure you have a good clean connection or replace the clamp or cable. Also make sure both battery posts are clean and terminals tight. Check that the battery ground cable is tight and clean at the engine/frame.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
chrislj
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropDave
Okay, here's the deal. I've got a problem starting this little beauty. It used to be a daily runner until it just decided not to start. Th timing belt is fine, it's got new plugs, wires, and fuel filter. It does appear to have plenty of spark.

I noticed when I took the hose off of the filter that I only spilled about a teaspoon of gas. With fuel injection I'm sure there's supposed to be more pressure than that so I checked the fuel pump. I hooked-up a hose to the discharge tube on the fuel pump and hit the starter. It pumped out what looks like plenty of fuel. The car does seem to run, kind-of, when I take a spray bottle and spray gas into the throttle body. As soon as I stop spraying, the engine quits.

I've checked at the local parts stores but nobody has a tester that is compatible with a fuel injection system.

Other than buying an expensive tester is there another way to evaluate the pump? New pumps are $160 so I'm not wild about playing the swap and pray game.

(ROPDAVE) How or what did you do to get the car stared? I have the same thing happen to me with good fuel pressure everthing. Im not getting gas to the spark plugs. thanks Chrislj
chrislj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
chrislj
AF Newbie

(ROPDAVE) How or what did you do to get the car stared? I have the same thing happen to me with good fuel pressure everthing. Im not getting gas to the spark plugs. thanks Chrislj
chrislj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
ropDave
AF Newbie

Not sure exactly. I had the snorkle off and when we got everything back together, it started. It could've been a blocked fuel filter (which I did change) or it could have simply been that I reseated an electrical connection that magically began working. I know this isn't much help but It's all I have to offer.

The thing is that even if you've got good fuel pressure, if the computer thinks there's no air getting to the plugs then it won't fire the injectors.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro