Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
White Lightening
AF Regular

Locking Differential versus Limited Slip differential

I have a 2004 Silverado 2 wheel drive ext. cab. I'm wondering what the difference is between a locking differential and a limited slip differential. My truck has the locking differential (RPO code G80 - locking differential heavy duty)?

I noted I have very good traction for winter driving here in Wisconsin with my 2wd and my 20 inch Goodyear tires.

Are there disadvantages to the locking versus limited slip units?

More pictures???
Link below shows them & a list of features and options on this 2wd SS
V.H.O.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/ga...ite+Lightening

White Lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlenderWizard
Re: Locking Differential versus Limited Slip differential

There's no difference that I am aware of. The terms locking, closed, limited slip, and positraction are used interchangeably AFAIK

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster
BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: Re: Locking Differential versus Limited Slip differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
There's no difference that I am aware of. The terms locking, closed, limited slip, and positraction are used interchangeably AFAIK
But why have 2 different RPO codes then - limited slip differential is a G86 while the locking differential is a G80. I sense there must be some differences. I'm "guessing" the positraction concept is like the locking differential I have - while the limited slip is something different. Too many bright people read this forum - somebody must know a bunch about it
White Lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
Arrowshooter
AF Regular

I think I read on the Eaton site that the Limited Slip is activated via input from the drive shaft and the Locking is via loss of traction on one side or the other. Again "I think".
Arrowshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
redneck45
AF Regular

limited slip has clutches in it, and requires a "limited slip" lub additive. The "locking" rear is quite different and does just as it's name implies--it locks--no clutches! They also use "g80" for the 2500hd duramax I had, and that rear is four times the "g80" in a half ton!
redneck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
NoRiceHere01
AF Regular

if u dont like ur locker ill take it and u can have the one-wheel-spinning piece of crap in my truck lol.
NoRiceHere01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
jethro_3
AF Enthusiast

Better traction comes in different forms. Straight off the line WOT open diff will spin for a while and takes less power/friction to run. The positrac allows slip but has to sense slip before engaging. The locker pretty much is both sides are engaged at all times thus taking up more power, minimal as it is but at an instants notice will keep the rear stable. The locker will allow some slip around corners but very little, very. As tought to me by teacher(master) who races.
jethro_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_3
Better traction comes in different forms. Straight off the line WOT open diff will spin for a while and takes less power/friction to run. The positrac allows slip but has to sense slip before engaging. The locker pretty much is both sides are engaged at all times thus taking up more power, minimal as it is but at an instants notice will keep the rear stable. The locker will allow some slip around corners but very little, very. As tought to me by teacher(master) who races.
Yeah, I can't hardly turn a corner w/o chirping the tire on mine... gets kinda annoying.

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster
Old 06-29-2005, 06:36 PM   #9
jethro_3
AF Enthusiast

If anyone is unhappy with there locker I will drive over and do the swap, open 3.42, to keep you happy....
jethro_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #10
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Nope, not that annoyed. That crap is awesome in the rain about not losing traction, White Lightening knows...

Old 06-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
Moose is loose
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck45
limited slip has clutches in it, and requires a "limited slip" lub additive. The "locking" rear is quite different and does just as it's name implies--it locks--no clutches! They also use "g80" for the 2500hd duramax I had, and that rear is four times the "g80" in a half ton!
Very true. A "locking diff" must either be mechanically, electrically, or air activated. A good example is the new Jeep Rubicon or Dodge Power Wagon. A "limited slip" or "posi-traction" is just that, clutches activate within. They are activated due to each tire turning at a different ratio or speed, A "locked" axle doesn't care, they (tires) turn at the same speed all the time. If you have a true 'locker" you would know because the rear end (or front end in some cases) will resemble the sound of a .22 rifle when cornering on pavement. POP!
Moose is loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:24 AM   #12
twomorestrokes
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Locking Differential versus Limited Slip differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose is loose
Very true. A "locking diff" must either be mechanically, electrically, or air activated. A good example is the new Jeep Rubicon or Dodge Power Wagon. A "limited slip" or "posi-traction" is just that, clutches activate within. They are activated due to each tire turning at a different ratio or speed, A "locked" axle doesn't care, they (tires) turn at the same speed all the time. If you have a true 'locker" you would know because the rear end (or front end in some cases) will resemble the sound of a .22 rifle when cornering on pavement. POP!
Any other input from any of you? I was actually getting ready to ask the same question. My 6.0 HD also has the G80 locker with 4.10 ratio. The true lockers that I'm used to do not have clutches, and have to unhook mechanically to corner, and can be heard. Mine is smooth and quiet when cool. However, after driven on the highway, the first couple of turns from a stop produces a shuttering, chattering sensation from the diff. that is quite noticable. Sure feels like clutches to me, and if so, a differential lube change is in order.
twomorestrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #13
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Actually, on my breakdown of RPO codes, G80 reads "Axle Positraction Limited Slip"

Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #14
twomorestrokes
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
Actually, on my breakdown of RPO codes, G80 reads "Axle Positraction Limited Slip"
When I ran my VIN on GM VIS it came up as G80 / Locking Differential- Rear Axle.

My guess is that GM's version is just another name for limited slip, not a true locker.
twomorestrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
Moose is loose
AF Regular

No clutches on a true "locker". They use metal teeth that mesh together--locked. The only way they can slip is when the teeth basically skip a cog (causing the BANG!). This should help:
http://www.powertrax.com/nsexploded.html
Moose is loose is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado