Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Gidge
AF Newbie

Question Where is my fuse box?...doh! '86

Please forgive me, I know a bit about cars, but for the life of me I can not locate the fuse box.

I have looked under the dashboard, glovebox, under the hood, all the paneling is still attached and appears to have never been taken down. (by the feet)

My fule pump is not working and from what I understand it is in the gastank. I can not drop it myself and was hoping it is just that.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Gidge
Gidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
pollenjesus
AF Regular

Gidge

You didn't say what kinda car you had in the question. I looked at your profile and it says you have a 1986 crown vic.
I have an 87 crown vic that I still have on my driveway that I no longer drive so I had a look at mine. My fuse panel is behind the trim underneath the steering column. Looks like it's held in place with two screws. Remove the screws and remove the trim panel and hopefully you will find your fuse panel.

As for the fuel pump. The easy way of checking that has worked for me many times is by taking a mallet, or a board and tap on the gastank while cranking the engine. This will be a two person job. One to turn the motor over, and somone to reach under the car and bang on the gas tank. If it's the fuel pump the car should start.

This is another two person job. Have someone listen under the car while you turn the key to the run position, or remove the gas cap and put an ear to gas spout and turn the key to the run position which is just before the start position.(dashboard lights come on like the oil light and battery light) A electrical whirr, or whine should be heard for a couple of seconds. The sound basically comes from under the trunk area. It's the sound of the fuel pump priming the line pressure. My 87 crown vic makes a noticable sound when the key is turned on. Heck I can even hear the fuel pump when the car motor is running when I stand at the rear bumper.

Hope that gives you something to work with. If the car does start while banging on the tank than the best place to start is to replace the fuel pump.

Paul
pollenjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Gidge
AF Newbie

Re: Where is my fuse box?...doh! '86

Thank you so much, everything you said is very helpful, I can only hope I can fix it before the property manager tows it away. It is so hard living in an apt where if your car does not run they tow it. I read this about a day after you posted it but did not get to reply till today

and yup it's an 86.

Gidge
Old 10-12-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
amo4387622
AF Regular

Also try the rest button that is usally in the trunk for the fuel pump. It should be next to the trunk hinges.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Gidge
AF Newbie

I found a button, I puched it, but it is mushy, it does not click or anything. I actually had to "pull" it back up befreo i could push it down. hmmm!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria