Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
bae007
AF Newbie

Exclamation Steering Gear !!!!

1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 302 5.0 Power steering gone bad. Pump has been replaced and lines are all in good condition. Power steering fluid heats up to boiling point in under five minutes with car idiling. Steering wheel turns byitself, Power steering kicks in and out. But the pump and lines are ok. I removed the steering box and inspected the worm gear which seems to be ok. The problem seems to be in the box on the end of the worm gear where the lines feed in. I have looked in Haynes manuals, Every Chiltons manual you can think of, but there is no info on how this part works. Most people say just replace it but that is $122.00 that I don't need to spend if I could only find info on this part. I think there are bearings inside and if I could find some sort of schematics or just general info I could repair that. I think the part is called a Ford intergrated power assist .. something or other. CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO FIND MORE INFO ON THIS. I mean the people who make the things and the people who refurbish them have to get there knowledge and literature from somewhere, but where. Please any little info will help..
bae007 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria