Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Econoline
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
MISS CHIEVOUS
AF Newbie

Question Where to buy an OEM side mirror

I accidentally knobbed something with the right side mirror on my E-250 and cracked the mirror. I can't justify a $170+ replacement unit for the whole damn arm thing that the mirror is in, and in any event the (powered) mount unit works perfectly fine,

It's just the mirror that's cracked.

So is there an adhesive-backed mirror that I could buy that -- if not a perfect fit, nonetheless comes close enough to the shape of the frame? Something I can use temporarily until I have enough money to get the entire arm replaced? Do you guys have any online favorite OEM suppliers that you can recommend?

Thanks guys!
MISS CHIEVOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Re: Where to buy an OEM side mirror

Yes, you should be able to buy just the mirror itself. Talk to the service department at your local dealership, Give them a call, but, do ask for the service department. Usually you put tape all over the cracked mirror, gently break the old mirror, The pieces come off with the tape. The new mirror has an adhesive backing.

DONT BREAK ANYTHING TILL YOU TALK TO THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT. They may or may not be able to get that piece.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdl For This Useful Post:
speediva (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
MISS CHIEVOUS
AF Newbie

No, that won't work since Ford demands to sell the entire unit. When I emphasize "OEM" it's precisely because there is no option through the Ford Dealer (I've been to more than one, trust me) and they obviously have a vested interest in not being helpful directing me to a $20 solution as opposed to their $200 one.

Which online parts stores have the largest inventory of replacement mirrors? Perhaps I'd just better ask it that way.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISS CHIEVOUS View Post
No, that won't work since Ford demands to sell the entire unit. When I emphasize "OEM" it's precisely because there is no option through the Ford Dealer (I've been to more than one, trust me) and they obviously have a vested interest in not being helpful directing me to a $20 solution as opposed to their $200 one.

Which online parts stores have the largest inventory of replacement mirrors? Perhaps I'd just better ask it that way.
Check out ebaymotors and www.hubcapsplus.com
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
MISS CHIEVOUS
AF Newbie

Well tempfixit was spot on because Ebay is where they're all hiding out. I loathe Ebay, but . . . I'm poor wtf lol.

Here's what I got (and for future reference in case the pic disappears this is something called "Road Shields" in plain RED/BLACK/WHITE packaging). Now we'll see if I can get this to work. If not, I found an OEM aftermarket substitute of the whole unit (including the power and mounting arm) for $56 shipped — a huge improvement over what I was quoted locally. But I want to give this mirror-only method a try nonetheless because it just seems ridiculous to rebuild the whole damn house when only the door blew in!

$21.70 Shipped

Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
jdl
AF Enthusiast

That's too bad, I've done that procedure on other mirrors, couldn't remember the make. All manufacturers make it hard, one way or the other, trying to make money.

I'm not sure of your model year, looked at 2000, saw some mirrors on rockauto, 35 bucks. Not sure about oem? If the vehicle is very old, I don't worry about oem. That's just me.

Last edited by jdl; 07-12-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: more info
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote