Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
T-birdy
AF Newbie

Ford Triton V8 engine spark plug blowouts

Hello,
I've just learned about the dastardly blowouts of spark plugs in the Triton 4.6 L V8 as a result of the heads having only 4 threads of grip on the plugs. (What a dumbrass design... hard to believe Ford did this...!) I have two of these, in '95 and '97 Tbirds. I'm currently putting new plugs in the '97, and so am wondering if there's anything I can do to reduce possiblity of this failure occurring.

At this point, I'm not actually aware of this failure occuring in the mid-90's Tbirds with this engine. They are detuned compared to the newer ones, so maybe it's not a problem...? It seems mostly to be happening in trucks with this engine and a larger 5.4 L version. I'm guessing the failure would be quite common in the higher- performance Mustangs as well.

I saw one message from a Mustang owner who installed plugs at 15 ft-lb torque and using anti-seize compound on the threads. Apparently he's been checking the plugs every 10,000 miles and seen no sign of failure. (Don't how many total miles it's gone.)

I'd appreciate any comments or advice offerred regarding this problem. Thanks...!
T-birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
97Bird
AF Moderator

Re: Ford Triton V8 engine spark plug blowouts

As you stated, this appears to be a problem with the 5.4L V8's and the V10's. I haven't had any problems with either of my 'Birds and there is only one other post in any of the other Ford forums about a spark plug blowing out. That was for a van and they didn't say what engine it was. I see more posts about this problem in other website Ford truck forums. The most important things to remember are to not overtighten or cross thread spark plugs when installing them.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird