Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which is better overall?
AUDI S4 QUATTRO 8 44.44%
BMW M3 (E36) 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 09:57 AM   #1
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
S4 vs. M3 (E36)

Tried and true battle of Audi vs. BMW...now most ppl will say right off the bat that the M3 is the winner...but you must look beyond and realize that these cars are more closely matched than that...

S4
2.7 Liter Biturbo V6
AWD
250HP
258 lbs. of torque
6 spd manual
0-60 in 5.6 seconds
93.6 bhp per liter
Brake Size: 12.6 F/11.8 R
Curb weight 3300 lbs.

M3
3.2 Liter Inline 6
RWD
240HP
236 lbs. of torque
5 spd manual
0-60 in 5.5 seconds
76.14 bhp per liter
Brake Size: 12.4 F/12.3 R
Curb weight 3150 lbs.

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 11:03 AM   #2
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mastachi
Brag all you want about the last BMW M3. Hey, we sure did. Profess about its being the king of compact sport coupes/sedans. But the fact is that the previous E36-platform M3 gets flat-out trounced in just about every way by the new E46-based design. How? Thanks to a thrilling new 3.2L DOHC inline-six that delivers a sky-high 8000-rpm redline, 333 serious horsepower, and a torque curve flatter than Kansas. Don't forget its wider-track, larger-rubber, race-inspired brakes and redesigned suspension. Factor in a more aggressive look and upgraded interior appointments, and you begin to get an inkling of what the '01 M3 is all about. (Motor Trend)
The M3 is much better than the S4. More power, better styling, and an awesome car platform thats soo balanced. I think the M3 kicks major ass.
what do you when a blonde throws a pin at you? ... run like hell 'cause she has a grenade in her mouth...what do you do when a blonde throws a grenade at you? ... pull the pin out and throw it back at her...
mastachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 02:05 PM   #3
3.5litermoose
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 3.5litermoose
motor trend would be right in saying that the e46 is way better than the e36. but anyways, i would have thought the S4 would make to 60 faster than that because of the AWD, and i was initially going to say the S4. But after reading that the M3 is faster to 60, the M3 definately takes the cake. I think its styling is better, it would be easier to get more horsepower out of it because its naturally aspirated, and its rear wheel drive, creating overster
The only thing i see as better for the S4 is the AWD, probably giving it a bit better handling, and making it more of an all-seasons car.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:16 PM   #4
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

i agree, thats one thing i love about audi's. the quattro system is awesome. but you know what, if was givin keys to any of those cars, i would pee my pants..
what do you when a blonde throws a pin at you? ... run like hell 'cause she has a grenade in her mouth...what do you do when a blonde throws a grenade at you? ... pull the pin out and throw it back at her...
Old 02-08-2002, 03:45 PM   #5
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.5litermoose
it would be easier to get more horsepower out of it because its naturally aspirated
Umm...what school do you come from? There's a chip that you can buy for the Audi S4 that makes the HP jump from 250HP to 320HP...and that just a CHIP!!! Imagine what would you have if you did intake, downpipe, full catback exhaust, boost controller...we are talking 360HP or so. Plus...we aren't even getting into the dreaded KKK turbos!!! I think you are wrong in saying that the NA M3 is going to be able to get more power...it could get more power if you put a supercharger (Dinan) or a turbo (Active Autowerkes)...but saying that you can get more HP NA-wise out of the M3 vs. the TWIN TURBO S4 is just foolish.

Old 02-08-2002, 05:12 PM   #6
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

NISSANSPDR..why do you have to be so ignorant. just because someone posts something they believe or know, doesnt mean there foolish. Where do you come off being the all-knowing car expert, who gave you the permission to go around putting people down.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:22 PM   #7
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

Considering there both in the same price range, the Bimmer is a better gain. NISSANSPDR was only talkin about modding the S4, what happened if you modded the M3, why dont you talk about that, but thats proabably because you dont look at both sides. The M3 is miles better than the S4. Just take the time and read about the E-46 platform, youll be amazed. The fact is you haved to buy extra shit so that the S4 is almost as fast as the M3. You say 320 hp by buying a chip, well how about 333 hp with out buying anything, or then buy a chip an raise the hp to 390 in a Bimmer. Then get an exhaust all that crap that you were talkin about, the Bimmer will be faster. Try an tell me no. That s the fact, you can squeeze more power out of a Bimmer cause you havent even begun forced induction..but anyway, i hope that you decide to think about certain things an be more considerate before opening your mouth, there is no need for that.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:31 PM   #8
3.5litermoose
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 3.5litermoose
when i said that you could get more out of it because it is naturally asipirtated, i meant you have a 3.2 literand havent even added turbo yet. Because the Audi is a 2.7 liter with a biturbo already, i figured it wouldnt get as much horsepower.:finger:
if you add those mods you were talking about to any car youll be getting more horsepower, like mastachi said
Old 02-08-2002, 06:22 PM   #9
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
hello?
dollar for dollar on the stock cars, if you do the same mods, you get more power out of the biturbo audi. b/c it has turbos.
that was tough. we're not talking about major upgrades, just a chip and exh, you get more from the tt car. end of story. if you add the turbo to the m3, you get alot, but what about upgrading the tt turbos on the audi?

he did talk about modding the m3... like adding a supercharger or turbo, dinan or activeautowerkes...

read boys.

i have driven both cars, and i love the powersliding rear the m3 offers, but i love having the s4s supergrip. the only downfall is that it cant spin the wheels b/c the quattro is too smart. thats good and bad. the m3 can slide so easily its kinda scary. but a fun scary.

if i had to choose one, it would be a yellow m3 coupe.
or a nagano blue s4 with the blue suede inserts in the interior... six speeds are soo much fun.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:51 PM   #10
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Re: S4 vs. M3 (E36)

Quote:
Originally posted by NISSANSPDR
Tried and true battle of Audi vs. BMW...now most ppl will say right off the bat that the M3 is the winner...but you must look beyond and realize that these cars are more closely matched than that...

S4
2.7 Liter Biturbo V6
AWD
250HP
258 lbs. of torque
6 spd manual
0-60 in 5.6 seconds
93.6 bhp per liter
Brake Size: 12.6 F/11.8 R
Curb weight 3300 lbs.

M3
3.2 Liter Inline 6
RWD
240HP
236 lbs. of torque
5 spd manual
0-60 in 5.5 seconds
76.14 bhp per liter
Brake Size: 12.4 F/12.3 R
Curb weight 3150 lbs.
Sorry but you have wrong specs.

Curb weight of S4 is 3593 lbs for 6 speed manual.
Also the 0-60 time is 5.9 seconds for manual and 6.5 for tiptronic.

E36 M3's official spec is 0-60 in 5.7 seconds.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:52 PM   #11
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by mastachi
Brag all you want about the last BMW M3. Hey, we sure did. Profess about its being the king of compact sport coupes/sedans. But the fact is that the previous E36-platform M3 gets flat-out trounced in just about every way by the new E46-based design. How? Thanks to a thrilling new 3.2L DOHC inline-six that delivers a sky-high 8000-rpm redline, 333 serious horsepower, and a torque curve flatter than Kansas. Don't forget its wider-track, larger-rubber, race-inspired brakes and redesigned suspension. Factor in a more aggressive look and upgraded interior appointments, and you begin to get an inkling of what the '01 M3 is all about. (Motor Trend)
The M3 is much better than the S4. More power, better styling, and an awesome car platform thats soo balanced. I think the M3 kicks major ass.
Funny how you believe all these marketing.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:01 PM   #12
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by mastachi
Considering there both in the same price range, the Bimmer is a better gain. NISSANSPDR was only talkin about modding the S4, what happened if you modded the M3, why dont you talk about that, but thats proabably because you dont look at both sides. The M3 is miles better than the S4. Just take the time and read about the E-46 platform, youll be amazed. The fact is you haved to buy extra shit so that the S4 is almost as fast as the M3. You say 320 hp by buying a chip, well how about 333 hp with out buying anything, or then buy a chip an raise the hp to 390 in a Bimmer. Then get an exhaust all that crap that you were talkin about, the Bimmer will be faster. Try an tell me no. That s the fact, you can squeeze more power out of a Bimmer cause you havent even begun forced induction..but anyway, i hope that you decide to think about certain things an be more considerate before opening your mouth, there is no need for that.
If you don't know anything other than what's presented in TV and magazine please don't acted like you know everything.

1. S4 and E46 M3 are not the same price.
2. You do not need to buy a ton of shit to make S4 faster than M3.
3. Chip for S4 cost around $500 if you shipped them the ECU.
4. M3's chip raise the hp from Euro Spec 343 Din to 363 Din. It does not raise to 390 hp.
5. Go take a lesson in engine before coming back. S4's engine block was built to withstand some serious boost. M3's engine was design using rev multiplier to increase power hence the 8000 rpm. You can get the same amount of power going all motors but it will cost many many times more than an engine already force inducted.
6. Keep your mouth close when you don't know anything.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:02 PM   #13
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.5litermoose
when i said that you could get more out of it because it is naturally asipirtated, i meant you have a 3.2 literand havent even added turbo yet. Because the Audi is a 2.7 liter with a biturbo already, i figured it wouldnt get as much horsepower.:finger:
if you add those mods you were talking about to any car youll be getting more horsepower, like mastachi said
Wrong!! Read above for answer.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:03 PM   #14
F20C
AF Enthusiast

The post quality of this forum has really gone downhill.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:05 PM   #15
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Mastachi...stop talking about the E46...this post is about the E36 which is not the 333HP version. I dont look at both sides? The side you are fighting isnt even relevant!!!

F20C...www.supercars.net...curb weight of the S4 is 3307 lbs. Check it. Also has the 0-60mph of the M3 is 5.6 seconds...my bad...but it is not 5.7 as you say...