Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which amercian exotic would you take?
2003 SVT Mustang Cobra 4 12.90%
2003 Corvette Z06 9 29.03%
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 07:00 AM   #46
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: American Exotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlined_V8
K, i'm a Vette guy, not a ford guy, not a dodge or chevy guy a corvette and old muscle cars, guy. nothing to me will be better than a classic corvette. However i do find it funny that it took dodge OVER TEN FRIGGIN LONG ASS STUPID PATHETIC YEARS!!!!!!!!!! To top chevy in whos got that bad ass muscle car, and u what? they're only going to get to savor that flavor for a few yrs. When that new C6 ZO6 comes out, dear god. its gonna send them viper and mustang boys back to the drawing board. even though when the new stang comes out, they're gonna turn their dejected faces back to their boards and find out how many more superchargers their gonna have to put on their cars, cause thats all they know how to do, look at corvette and their fine engineering, wow viper, you handle good for a car whose nose is just a heavy pain the ass yes, but you put out all that power through a V-10, of course you're gonna beat that small block V-8, but everytime chev puts out their corvette, it sends viper and mustang back to the drawing board to figure out how much more they can do to keep up w/ corvette. And why spend so much damn more for so little more? when it comes to viper and corvette? viper will always cost more to insure too. JESUS C. Go figure. but hey, you got the money to waste, go for it. just remember how long it took them to FINALLY beat chevy. just wait for 2005, just wait

if you could just add to your post the loterry numbers for next month would be nice too

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:22 PM   #47
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlined_V8
K, i'm a Vette guy, not a ford guy, not a dodge or chevy guy a corvette and old muscle cars, guy. nothing to me will be better than a classic corvette. However i do find it funny that it took dodge OVER TEN FRIGGIN LONG ASS STUPID PATHETIC YEARS!!!!!!!!!! To top chevy in whos got that bad ass muscle car, and u what? they're only going to get to savor that flavor for a few yrs. When that new C6 ZO6 comes out, dear god. its gonna send them viper and mustang boys back to the drawing board. even though when the new stang comes out, they're gonna turn their dejected faces back to their boards and find out how many more superchargers their gonna have to put on their cars, cause thats all they know how to do, look at corvette and their fine engineering, wow viper, you handle good for a car whose nose is just a heavy pain the ass yes, but you put out all that power through a V-10, of course you're gonna beat that small block V-8, but everytime chev puts out their corvette, it sends viper and mustang back to the drawing board to figure out how much more they can do to keep up w/ corvette. And why spend so much damn more for so little more? when it comes to viper and corvette? viper will always cost more to insure too. JESUS C. Go figure. but hey, you got the money to waste, go for it. just remember how long it took them to FINALLY beat chevy. just wait for 2005, just wait
Right.

Let me point something out to you. There was this gas crisis in the early 70s, you know, the one that killed the muscle car. Anyhow; this meant that everyone was making econo boxes, even the good old Vette and Mustang were pretty damn slow in the early to mid 80s and Chrysler was making 4 cylinder cars that were able beat them. Then in 1995 the Viper was created. So it didn't take Chrysler 10 years, they were beating Chevy for a while. Also I would like to point out that the SRT-10 Viper is the roadster, the show off car. The serious Z06 Coupe is beaten by a convertible. Yes, let's wait for 2005 when the Viper Competition Coupe comes out. Then we'll see what the C6 Z06 has to offer. Dodge was at the drawing board with this car before the C6 was even announced. Get over it.

Also, if all you care about is performance when you buy a car then you're a moron. Performance isn't all you get for the extra $30,000. Think before you speak. By that logic, my LeBaron GTC was a far better buy than a Z06, which I would agree, but I am sure you wouldn't.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #48
Sexy beast
Banned

Re: Re: American Exotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Performance isn't all you get for the extra $30,000. Think before you speak. By that logic, my LeBaron GTC was a far better buy than a Z06, which I would agree, but I am sure you wouldn't.
Damn straight! The Viper's fit and finish is rock solid compared to that plastic raggity car.
Sexy beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:53 PM   #49
Redlined_V8
AF Newbie

I for some reason thought the viper was intoduced in '92, my mistake. but the past doesnt matter, the cars the 70's are irrelevent in this debate. To me this debate was over, whos better out of these three current cars. I dont hate any of these three cars, but i do favor one. But fact remains the same, it took dodge a while to come out w/ a good, good viper. when the first corvettes and mustangs came out, people were nuts over em in a few yrs. It didnt take em 8 or so yrs. The new viper is a damn fine car yes, finally. but i honestly still believe the Z has the edge in these three cars, the vette and mustang have what a lot of people call, bang for the buck, viper doesnt have that. And the only other fact i still stand by is that chevy has better engineering in their motor and powertrain. the motor is a free'r reving engine and more responsive. I think they're doin an awesome job of getting that much hp out of a N/A V-8. And when the 500+ hp new Z comes out, i think it will still be the small block V-8 and w/ no blower of any kind. Last thing best about the Corvette, it has the best power and speed potential out of all three. And sexy beast, you aparently have not ridden in a ZO6, its not riggety or rickety whatever u called it, even if u have and you absolutely HATE corvettes, you would say it is built together well and rides nice. but you're gonna still not like it because you dont WANT to like it. I guess bottom point the real winner is the person who buys which ever one when they do it. If ur dream car is a viper, you're gonna love em no matter what, same w/ corvette and mustang. Nobody is gonna change anyones mind here no matter what.
Redlined_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:16 PM   #50
Polygon
The Red Baron

I haven't driven the Z06 or the SRT-10. I like both cars, I just happen to think that the Viper is the better of the two for a lot of reasons. While Chevy has great engineering I don't feel it is better than Chrysler, then again that is just my opinion. You're right, the Viper RT-10 came out in 1992, I don't know why I said 1995. I am also sorry if I came off a little brash, I guess I just took your post a little too serious. I am just tired of a lot of the Z06 hype that goes on around here. I also tire of the price debate.

As I said though, I would take the Viper as I think it is better than the Z06 in many aspects.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:40 PM   #51
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
The Viper and Z06 both recieve gobs of hyp. Granted the interior of a Z06 is far outdated. The Viper on the otherhand has a much higher quality and craftsmanship over the Z06. Try producing 8000+ Vipers, and try selling them with that high quality and craftsmanship, thats a different story. The Z06 wasn't designed to be bling bling in every aspect, its a true sports car, interior quality doesn't reflect performance. And a quality interior doesn't sum up a more luxirious ride, the Viper is far from a comfortable ride compared to other high quality cars. If the Viper were made of plastic it would probably melt. (lol, im just exagerating) People don't buy a Viper because of its prestine interior, hell its got a V10 pushing 500hp! Buy a Bentley if you want a high quality interior. I think people buy a Viper because it will ownnnnnnnnnnn almost anything they pass, and they will pass it, including the Z06.
I've also heard that track persistency with the Viper isn't as good as the Z06. The brakes are a hell of a lot better, but they still have a tendency to fade. Might have somthing to due with the weight and lack of ventilation to keep the brakes cooler. Other than that, the Viper is pulling like a raped ape, always. Its ability to handle is superb, even outsting the Z06 in almost every category.

A Viper is 80k, but what the hell does that matter? If your buying a Viper, then more than likely your not sweeting your pocket, so more power to you. Same thing goes for the Z06. People buy pairs of these just in case one starts to act up. Money is not the issue, you pay for what you get.

It all comes down to preference. Viper ethus. will always want a viper over a Z06, and the same for the Vette owners. (usually, nothing is 100% though)

I do agree that once the hardtop viper, and the C6 Z06 comes out, we will all be blown away. Get ready European tuners, because america is coming with fire!
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:32 AM   #52
Vettribution
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Vettribution Send a message via Yahoo to Vettribution
You know... That last point is a great point. The Z06 and the Viper are both getting ready to spank the European cars. What out there has numbers like the Viper OR the Vette... and still remains under 150 Grand? Even the GT40 is a car worth mentioning, though the price tag and numbers dont impress me too much when the Vette and the Viper do exist. Its good to see the American cars putting out such great numbers though, and I look forward to seeing what the Europeans will try and do to keep the competition tight. (I just personally love the fact that the Z06 puts up numbers almost identical to one of them Modena's.)

The next few years are going to be great years for American Muscle. The competition coupe and the release of the C6... An American car enthusiast's dreams, coming true.
Vettribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:32 AM   #53
Polygon
The Red Baron

How very true.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:20 PM   #54
9ball
AF Regular

You have to give the engineers of the big three a little more credit though. You can't treat them like they don't know how to build a powerful car. They're just designing these particular cars to fit into certain points in the market. All of them could build 1000hp engines on pump gas if they wanted to, but they're designed the way they are for a reason. They also have warranties, costs, parts interchangeability and so on to worry about.
9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:21 PM   #55
disco192
AF Regular

There are more factors that go into building an engine than just HP. 9ball is right, they have to design engines that are affordable, somewhat fuel efficient, will last, and have parts that are easy to get. Now on the engineering aspect of them i would say that they are slacking in comparison to european and japanese companies (namely BMW and Honda) just look at what BMW has done with their valvetronic system and i think VTEC and all the engineering behind cars like the s2000 goes without saying. But i could be proven wrong wiht the new c6 comming out.

And with the z06 putting up numbers on par with a modena you have to look at the market for ferarris. People dont buy ferarris to race them, they buy them to pimp around in them and be a badass because they have one. Now people do that to some extent in a z06, but you see vettes everyday and typically most poeple cant tell the difference between a z06 and a base vette.

And when you compare a viper to a vette, you also have to understand that a z06 still gets good mileage (not that they really care anyway) but most people that buy vettes drive them because they want a fast car that they can stilll drive to work in. When you buy a viper most people just tear it up, but that might just be a gross generalization.
disco192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:38 PM   #56
genjy
AF Enthusiast

GM is pushing their Displacement on Demand technology for their upcoming v8s (and v6s?). When the engines are in certain conditions that do not require full performance, DoD deactivates four of the eight cylinders by turning off their valves to saves gas and lessen pollution. The C6 Corvette and some future trucks are rumored to have DoD.

I read that certain Cadillacs of some decades ago had this technology too, but it wasn't successful because the engineering was still immature. GM is going to give it another try, I guess.
genjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #57
disco192
AF Regular

I dunno how much that would really help unless they had a crank that could allow for it to be separated or else it would just drag the pistons and cause more friction (aka friction and vaccuum loss). Just get valvetronic and it will be ok. Valvetronic is the answer to vaccuum loss, but very pricey.

Yea the old caddys had it, but it went into the shitter.
disco192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 07:15 PM   #58
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy
GM is pushing their Displacement on Demand technology for their upcoming v8s (and v6s?). When the engines are in certain conditions that do not require full performance, DoD deactivates four of the eight cylinders by turning off their valves to saves gas and lessen pollution. The C6 Corvette and some future trucks are rumored to have DoD.

I read that certain Cadillacs of some decades ago had this technology too, but it wasn't successful because the engineering was still immature. GM is going to give it another try, I guess.
hondas involved with designing some of GM's new engines, like that new v6's in those suvs, but thats the only engine i know of that involved honda. this might explain why gm is comming out with that displacement on demand thing.
OoNismoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:00 PM   #59
genjy
AF Enthusiast

Which v6 would that be? I know the Saturn VUE Redline uses Accord's V6... there's another Honda-involed motor?

My guess is that GM is not going to invest much into hybrid, unlike the major Japanese companies and Ford, so GM is going to do bring back DoD in place of it. Just a guess.
genjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:30 AM   #60
Vettribution
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Vettribution Send a message via Yahoo to Vettribution
You are right about the Ferrari's owners. Ive always been different though. I could care less what anybody thinks about what I drive anyways, or what I do with anything. Ive never tried to impress anyone with "things". I'll admit I am extremely biased in many aspects, being born and raised into loving GM. And the Z06 to me is like a dream come true. Its an obtainable goal for me to reach for. Power, performance, handling... Pure unadulterated speed. All from Chevy.

I dont know about anyone else... But to me... There are two great things in life... Women... and Fast cars. (Some would say fast women and fast cars) Besides if one of the great things pisses you off, you can go take off in the other. Driving through the mountains, pushing my car, living on the edge, is a greater high than any drug, and just as dangerous I guess. But it is MY drug of choice. So a Ferrari to ME, which for that much of a $$ difference... doesnt have the value, for the numbers it brings.
So the Z06 to me is my goal, and thats why I would choose that over ANY car if I had the choice.
Vettribution is offline   Reply With Quote