Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #1
bratfry
AF Newbie

Question Bosch Oxygen Sensors

My 99 Maxima has all the oxygen sensor issues. rough idle, high idle speed at cold starts and the check engine light light now and then. 57K miles so its time to change, I guess.

Are Bosch Sensors any good?

The rear sensor (behind the converter) is giving the error, whats best, just do all three and get it over or just the rear? It doesn't look real difficult to change but thats what I thought when I changed the power steering belt.

Any experience with Bosch, thats all my local parts dealers have and the local Nissian dealer wouldnt give any deals on parts.

Gary
bratfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
THT
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bosch Oxygen Sensors

I'd do just the rear sensor. Get the Walker brand sensor from www.oxygensensors.com and follow my directions: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=16 I don't think brand really matters thought. IIRC, Bosch is OEM but I've replaced all mine with Walker sensors with no problems.

~THT

Some people call it an obsession; I call it my Maxima.
THT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
bratfry
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Re: Bosch Oxygen Sensors

Thanks for the post, Ordered the sensor from Mike at oxygensensors.com, good guy.

Will not be able to get some grease under my fingernails till next weekend but have your instructions and ready to go.

Hope it fixes some of the strange things this car is doing lately.

Thanks again,

Gary
Old 10-08-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
infinman
AF Enthusiast

If you are going to change just the rear 02 sensor do not expect any change in engine running.The rear 02 sensor does not modify engine management.It is used only as a guide for the ECM to monitor catalytic convertor efficiency.I'm betting you have other issues causing the rear 02 sensor to go beyond it's limits.In my opinion if the rear 02 sensor code{s} come up, it's doing it's job in alerting you.You'd only "shoot" the messenger of bad news.
infinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:19 AM   #5
ogparjay
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bosch Oxygen Sensors

bosch are really good sensors. do not get the universal connection get the OEM save yourself the hassle.
ogparjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:45 PM   #6
bratfry
AF Newbie

I replaced the two engine sensors last weekend. It has made a difference. The burp at idle has gone away and it seems to have better acceleration.

Both were pretty easy with the special socket and a flex type ratchet. The wire restrants are a bit tricky but a nice big side cutters takes care of that problem. The originals were Bosch, as explained in an earlier post. I put in Denso units via the Walker brand.

Will be replacing the third this weekend but as explained in an earlier post, I don?t expect much from that replacement.

My OBDII/laptop unit really doesn?t show much difference between the old and new units so I guess the old ones were working. So far I?m happy.

Last edited by bratfry; 10-21-2004 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
Judasdesigns
AF Newbie

O2 Sensor

Bratfry,

How did the O2 Sensor replacement go? My 1999 GXE needs a new rear sensor as well. Does it actually fix the problem? or does it "shoot" the messenger?

Thanks,

JudasDesigns
Judasdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:36 AM   #8
bratfry
AF Newbie

I installed the rear sensor last weekend and I feel it also changed the way the car was running. I seem to have much more acceleration, it definitely idles better than prior the sensor changes. Right now I?m happy with the results. Of course it could be the washed car syndrome, I know my car always runs better after I wash it, doesn?t yours?

Remember, I replaced all three. 58K miles on the car, I do it myself. If the problem goes away, I?m a happy camper. If not, on to the next possible solution.

So I?m documenting my results in the service manual and on to the next Maxima problem. What is the next problem you ask? Well, last winter, my starter started to make some very strange noises. An Internet search showed me a problem with the Maxima starters and the grease they use in the unit that engages the engine. So I removed the starter, re-lubed with some fancy Mobil 1 $6 a can grease and forgot about it. Now its getting cold in Chicagoland and guess what, the noise is back. Don?t know what I?m going to do this time, I don?t even what to look at the cost of a new starter.

This is the first ?foreign brand? car I have owned. I am still in sticker shock when I buy replacement parts for these devils. Oh well, have fun.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
TuBlaz
AF Newbie

Bratfry,
I replaced my starter on my 1995 Maxima approx. 2 years ago. It wasn't bad once I found out where it was located. It took me a few minutes to realize it's not located under the car like on most domestic cars. It's actually located under the air filter housing.

I felt the same way you do about purchasing parts for a foreign vehicle, but it wasn't too bad considering a life-time-warranty. Mine went out on me while I was in Minneapolis, MN. I called Napa Auto who told me it cost over, $300. I said (*&^%$#@!) and terminated the call. I decided to leave the car at my cousin's until I was ready to go home (at that time I lived 4 hours away). Anyway, I drove home and called the local AutoZone. Their cost was about, $150-ish. I bought the starter and put it on. No problems since.

ps. I'm in the Chi-Town area if you need help

Peace,

-TuBlaz, TuMax aka TuType
1996 Blazer LT
1995 Maxima GLE
1989 LeSabre T-Type SuperCharged/L67
TuBlaz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35