Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
Maximuswood
AF Newbie

Belt removal

I can't figure out how to remove the alternator belt. The belt diagram and also this youtube video show the alternator in the top left and the belt tensioner in the mid left. The guy is able to release the tension with ease, but i cant get mine to budge even using a closed wrench end to get more leverage on the ratchet. Am i missing something? Should i try unbolting the tensioner and replacing it or is something locking it in place?

Im trying to upload a photo, but the video is here and the timestamp is 21:33
https://youtu.be/MbIJAh-7icw
Maximuswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Belt removal

Are you applying the release pressure in the right direction, the tensioner should move easily.
Old 12-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Maximuswood
AF Newbie

Yes. I believe so. Over the top and inward just like the diagram shows and just like the guy in the video
Old 12-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

It's possible your tensioner is frozen. Why are you replacing the belt?
Old 12-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Maximuswood
AF Newbie

im following the repair manual to try to remove my cylinder heads and have them resurfaced. i bought 2 head gaskets and bolts, new radiator and hoses and a thermostat.

My van starts overheating on hills. Pepboys replaced the water pump, but the van still overheats on hills. i might not need to remove the heads but i want to check their level. I want to make sure cooling system is all 100% and that in not fixing one thing and leaving another thing unchecked. i might not have an internal coolant leak, but the van is old, has many issues, i just felt i should look into these various issues. I get white smoke out kf the tailpipe on startup but after it warms up there is no smoke, so i might not need to do this...but its a learning experience. Oil looks good. Coolant however, i put green in and it turns red or brown, so, need to flush and change radiator and thermostat at the very least
Old 12-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Jumping to the conclusion that its the heads may cost you way more money than you need to spend.

The "white smoke at start up" is condensation. You probably just need a flush and maybe a new radiator. Don't put yourself through a bunch of unnecessary work.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #7
Maximuswood
AF Newbie

Ok, ill replace the tensioner and make my way to the heads for practice, but i wont go into them. I came to these things originally from wanting to do a complete tuneup which meant a valve job i think. And that lead to the gaskets, and kinda drummed up worry about internal coolant leaks. But i know that the radiator and thermostat should be my main objectives
Old 12-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximuswood View Post
I can't figure out how to remove the alternator belt.
If the tensioner won't move at all then it is frozen and needs to be replaced. If however it moves some, you might simply have a tight fitting belt on there so the tensioner is already most of the way over. When I release tension I slip the belt off the idler pulley just to the right and down from the alternator. I find it easier to slip the belt off this one because there is no lip to lift the belt over. If you have to replace the tensioner, to get the old one off you might have to cut the belt if you can't force it off the idler pulley.

For your overheating issue, it's more likely a plugged radiator or a thermostat that won't open far enough.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:07 PM   #9
Maximuswood
AF Newbie

I used a copper pipe to help leverage the ratched against the pully. It felt wrong but thats what i did. We forced the tensioner over and removed the belt. When we put the belt back on later, it hung very loose. We pressed the pully in the opposite direction and this caused it to become tight. This is odd to me because all of the youtube videos show the belt tensioner acting like a srping, nkt like a notching tightener like mine seems
Old 01-15-2022, 03:28 PM   #10
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Overheating on hills is… Probably your radiator. At that age, it has enough restriction or scale buildup to reduce the cooling capacity. Climbing a hill puts extra strain on the cooling system because your engine is working hard.

White smoke at start up could ndicate some condensation or it might be a head gasket… But I would try the radiator first.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #11
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximuswood View Post
We pressed the pully in the opposite direction and this caused it to become tight.
The tensioner is shot, replace it or your serpentine belt will slip and burn up. Then you'll have to replace both the belt and the tensioner.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van