Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
jeremyshaneyates
AF Newbie

98 s10 idling trouble

Hi, I have a 1998 s10 w/ a 4.3Lv6 and 220,000 miles. having a problem w/ it not wanting 2 idle correctly.. While driving or shifting from P to D or R it wants 2 idle up a though u r mashing the accel. When coming 2 a stop @ a light or stop sign u feel as if u r still accelerating. However, if u put it in (N) it will evenually idle dn. With the high miles, I have replace O2 sensors, map sensor, throttle position sensor, and idle air control motor. Have not got and codes... Can u give me any advice?

Thanks Shane
jeremyshaneyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
jeffersonjameson
AF Newbie

Re: 98 s10 idling trouble

im having same problem with my 97 s-10 manual 4.3L idols way high 3000 to 3500 when in nuetral coasting untill im 5mph or below it finally drops to normal idol replaced IAC other things replaced mass air flow sensor and MAP and PCV and cadlidic convert if you figure out your problem let me know its probly close to same thing
jeffersonjameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyshaneyates View Post
Hi, I have a 1998 s10 w/ a 4.3Lv6 and 220,000 miles. having a problem w/ it not wanting 2 idle correctly.. While driving or shifting from P to D or R it wants 2 idle up a though u r mashing the accel. When coming 2 a stop @ a light or stop sign u feel as if u r still accelerating. However, if u put it in (N) it will evenually idle dn. With the high miles, I have replace O2 sensors, map sensor, throttle position sensor, and idle air control motor. Have not got and codes... Can u give me any advice?

Thanks Shane
Any codes or check engine lights?
First step is clean carbor from TBI buttery fly and IAC valve.
Let us know what that does.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
jeremyshaneyates
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500 View Post
Any codes or check engine lights?
First step is clean carbor from TBI buttery fly and IAC valve.
Let us know what that does.

no codes, have cleaned both already, checked for cracks on intake, vacuum leaks, replaced iac motor, mass air sensor, map sensor,o2 sensors, throttle position sensor. replaced vac line under hood going 2 char canister ...........still having problem........s/t it seems 2 come and go making me think i have a vac leak but cant find 1........
jeremyshaneyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Likely a vacuum leak. Does it lope idle at all when fully warmed up, sitting STILL at a stoplight?

Quote:
im having same problem with my 97 s-10 manual 4.3L idols way high 3000 to 3500 when in nuetral coasting untill im 5mph or below it finally drops to normal idol replaced IAC other things replaced mass air flow sensor and MAP and PCV and cadlidic convert if you figure out your problem let me know its probly close to same thing
This almost sounds normal - it will idle a little higher until you have completely stopped.

Could be carbon build-up BEHIND throttle body butterfly, like MT said.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
DaleReynolds24
AF Newbie

Check your EGR valve, make sure your diaphram isn't closed (pushed upwards)

I had the same exact crap on my 1992 S-10. I replaced the IAC and it helped on initial startup. But the EGR valve will cause chaos to a great running engine if the diaphram part is closed. All you have to do is locate where it is and use a little flat head screwdriver and pop open the diaphram.

If that doesn't work, let me know.
DaleReynolds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleReynolds24 View Post
Check your EGR valve, make sure your diaphram isn't closed (pushed upwards)

I had the same exact crap on my 1992 S-10. I replaced the IAC and it helped on initial startup. But the EGR valve will cause chaos to a great running engine if the diaphram part is closed. All you have to do is locate where it is and use a little flat head screwdriver and pop open the diaphram.

If that doesn't work, let me know.
Not going to work on a 98.

92 is a long way from a 98.

They have different EGR valves.
98 is electronic valve with no diaphragm.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10