Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 10:36 PM   #1
thewoahna
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to thewoahna
Air Intake?

Hello, I am the Owner of a 1990 Honda Accord. I was thinking about getting a "RAM AIR" type air intake. I know that the whole purpose of a new air intake is to get more power because more air is now able to enter the engine, but does that mean that I need a new muffler system to suit the increased amount of air comming out of the engine? Wouldnt it be an imbalance? Also, would it make my car sound a whole lot louder, or just a little bit?

Thank you for any insight!
thewoahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 11:37 PM   #2
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
First, I would suggest going with AEM Cold Air Intake just because I've heard more good things about CAI than the short ram intakes. Second, you don't need a new exhaust to see an increase, but it would help. Also your car will be a bit louder, but nothing too bad.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 12:12 AM   #3
b16a3sol
AF Enthusiast

the intake is the best place to start in my opinion. it will help your engine out, but not enough to be noticed until you do get an exhaust on there. if you have the money for it, get the AEM cold air intake, or something similar to it. the short ram could end up hurting your performance in the end. if you can find an easy way of setting up a ram air intake that can be used constantly, then go for it, but a cold air intake would probably be a better choice. if you dont have too much money and just want the aesthetics of it, then find a cheap short ram intake, they are pretty much all the same.
b16a3sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 02:14 PM   #4
fritz_269
AF Moderator

I applaud you for thinking about balance - That's a great way to view an engine. Fortunately (or not) a new intake - even a ram air - will not give you that much more air. The balance will not be terribly upset.

Another note - ram air setups have to be very carefully designed to give you significant gains. There generally needs to be a large open plenum before the throttle body to give the incoming air a chance to calm down and smooth out. I haven't seen this feature on many off-the-shelf solutions.

Many of the 'cold-air' intakes have a good reputation (AEM, Iceman), you might want to look into one of those.
fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 11:50 PM   #5
thewoahna
AF Regular

Thanks for all the help. I did end up ordering something off of Jcwhitney...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...D=1732&BQ=jcw2

I hope that this was not a "stupid" choice on my part. I looked around and It was one of the cheaper Air Intakes I could find. So, in general, do I have to worry about anyhitng on my car being dammaged by installing this air intake? (This is the first think I have done to my car, everything else is stock!) Do I just install the intake and go? Is it going to (in the long run) hurt my car in any way?

Sorry, I do not have much car knowledge! Thanks for any help!!
Old 01-26-2002, 07:11 AM   #6
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Veetec Send a message via AIM to Veetec
Quote:
Originally posted by thewoahna
Thanks for all the help. I did end up ordering something off of Jcwhitney...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...D=1732&BQ=jcw2

I hope that this was not a "stupid" choice on my part. I looked around and It was one of the cheaper Air Intakes I could find. So, in general, do I have to worry about anyhitng on my car being dammaged by installing this air intake? (This is the first think I have done to my car, everything else is stock!) Do I just install the intake and go? Is it going to (in the long run) hurt my car in any way?

Sorry, I do not have much car knowledge! Thanks for any help!!
No, it canīt damage anything on your car. I dunno if you have this in the states but I would buy some K&N filter-oil to help it clean out the dust better. And I would build a heat-shield to protect the filter from the hot engine air but I havenīt done anything like that yet. Iīm sure anybody else can help you out with that!
Veetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 10:11 PM   #7
thewoahna
AF Regular

I did end up getting some K&N Oil and cleaner. The Directions say to clean every 50,000 miles. Is that correct? That is a long time to go before cleaning? Also, Has anyone ever heard of the Make of intake that I got? APC? Are they any good?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2002, 11:52 PM   #8
Someguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Someguy
I'd be careful with the K&N oil. I used it on a similiar-to-K&N cotton filter and it didn't work out too well. The oil wasn't soaked into the filter instead it slowly worked its way out making a bit of mess. Later of course, I read the directions which said specifically NOT to oil the filter, so I ended up having to soak the filter for several times to get all the oil out.

SO, anyway, K&Ns can and do last that long with out cleaning, but be careful, read and follow the care directions.
Someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:20 PM   #9
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I did end up getting some K&N Oil and cleaner. The Directions say to clean every 50,000 miles. Is that correct? That is a long time to go before cleaning? Also, Has anyone ever heard of the Make of intake that I got? APC? Are they any good?

Thanks!
I would just clean it if itīs not red anymore!! 50.000 miles will be definetly too much IMO!
Old 01-29-2002, 06:23 PM   #10
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Someguy
I'd be careful with the K&N oil. I used it on a similiar-to-K&N cotton filter and it didn't work out too well. The oil wasn't soaked into the filter instead it slowly worked its way out making a bit of mess. Later of course, I read the directions which said specifically NOT to oil the filter, so I ended up having to soak the filter for several times to get all the oil out.

SO, anyway, K&Ns can and do last that long with out cleaning, but be careful, read and follow the care directions.
1.) Donīt use filter oil when itīs not recommended by the producer! K&N recommends to use their oil...
2.) Of course the filter will last that long without cleaning it but without the oil the engine will suck in more dust and dirt. So maybe youīre engine wonīt last that long...
Old 01-29-2002, 06:53 PM   #11
thewoahna
AF Regular

Thanks for all your info, you have all been quite helpful! Has anyone heard of APC preformance parts? That is the brand intake that I did buy, did I get ripped off for $80?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2002, 08:17 PM   #12
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:
Thanks for all your info, you have all been quite helpful! Has anyone heard of APC preformance parts? That is the brand intake that I did buy, did I get ripped off for $80?

Thanks!
Well maybe by $10 or so, but not terribly. I currently have the APC intake on my car right now, I love it, it's quite loud at wide ope throttle, yet quiet when crusing. I paid $53 for my intake, SHIPPED to me from JC Whitney, they normally sell it for $69.99 plush shipping costs, Pep Bous sells then for about $79, so you paid an average price for yours. I have various other APC parts on my car, and in general, they make quality stuff i think. Hope that helps you out.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 06:23 AM   #13
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:

Thanks!
Iīd recommend to build a heat-shield (out of alloy or anything like that) for the intake so that it doesnīt suck in the hot air of the engine-bay anymore.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #14
Predator
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Predator
Well the only thing wich are really giving u some more power is the AEM one- but if u just want sound then ure fine

what for idiots... theyre discussing about a law were u have to switch on the lights the whole day but when u switch on the fog lights without fog u have to pay for this 'criminal act'...

ZOMTEC rulez!!!
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:12 PM   #15
civicx_xracer
AF Regular

IMO I think APC=A Piece of Crap Not to down what you bought...I mean I have a civic so I couldn't tell ya if you got a good price for it or not. As mentioned before it would prolly not be a good idea to use K&N filter cleaning on a non-K&N filter. I have K&N on mine and I clean it about every six months but I live in New Mexico. New Mexico=dust bowl
civicx_xracer is offline   Reply With Quote