Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #16
kvillard
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to kvillard
Hello folks

I have posted for help so I figured I better say hello as well.

My name is Kent, I live in Eastern Canada. We bought our 95 Geo Metro LSI 2 years ago when the engine died in our Mazda MPV 4WD minivan. It was cheap and worked well. When the MPV was fixed we layed up the Geo for 9 months (well it took that long to get the work done I wanted - don't ask) and now we are driving it again. It's a must with the high Canadian gas prices - the MPV is a gas guzzler to the EXTREME.

Having some transmission issues - figured I'd check things out here to see if it's a Geo thing or not

Look forward to talking to folks here!
kvillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #17
carpenter_jai
AF Stunt Driver

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. That's north of of the 50th parallel for you Yanks! I install floor coveings most days, and if I'm lucky, I work with wood on others (keep your minds out of the gutters ) I have been driving a '95 3 cylinder for 5 years, and he's starting to need a little TLC, so I think I'll be a regular here. Hopefully, I can offer as much help as I ask for. My little green speed bump is my work vehicle, if you can picture that. I once had 17 bags of insulation and a ten foot 2x10 in and on my car. (Wish I took a picture...)

Good Luck and Happiness to y'all!

Jai
carpenter_jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #18
escapingoth
AF Newbie

Re: ** Metro Forum Intro **

I'm Hans. I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I have a 95 Metro with about 190,000km (115,000miles about). This is my 3rd Metro/Firefly my other ones were 85 and 88. Great cars, I really like the ability to work on them. Unfortunately when you get use to working on these and go to work on another type of car, I get really ticked. lol
escapingoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #19
leonbentz
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to leonbentz

My Name is Leon, from Oregon. I drive a 1991 Geo 1.0 liter and I spent the last few months dealing with a gas milage issue and was finally able to find the problem. I had a little help though. I guess that's because it was something that was very easy to overlook. I came here to get answers and have learned a lot about these little buggers and what all those little sensors do. hahahahahaha

Leon
leonbentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #20
BlackbirdZach
AF Newbie

Zach from Atlanta, GA. 1994 Metro 3cyl with over 170k on it. Original engine, trans, and cltuch.

http://photos.yahoo.com/blackbirdzach
BlackbirdZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #21
rxrivera
AF Newbie

Talking Re: ** Metro Forum Intro **

Hi I'm Richard and I'm from Missouri. I started out on this 3-cylinder funfest with a Chevy Sprint in '87. Two years ago out of nostalgia I bought a '94 Geo Metro. Paid $200 for it, put another $200 into it for brake work and drove it as a daily driver till about six months ago when I noticed oil was mysteriously disappearing from it. I also have a '91 Metro Convertable that I'm toying with the idea of restoring. Glad to be part of the forum.
rxrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #22
coopdavillage
AF Regular

im Shawn, i live in florida and have 95' Geo Tracker lsi 4x4 (love it!!) and a 98' chevy metro which i have come to hate because it won't start (not like the old metro's that you could beat the crap out of and still drive). Look to clean up the tracker in the future and turbo it.
coopdavillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #23
geogal
AF Newbie

Wink Re: ** Metro Forum Intro **

Hi all. I'm Linda, I live in Tennesse. I have a 1996 Metro with 110,000 miles on it. Still runs pretty good, had to replace the cam shaft and brakes, and radiator, but other than that it is doing ok. With gas prices as high as they are now, I am going to try to hang on to it. It is my second metro, the first was a '94 three cylinder and I really liked it better, until I blew the motor up in it.
Anyway, I'm glad I found this place. There seems to be a lot of nice people here that will help. And because I am a woman, most repair shops try to charge an arm and a leg just to tell me what is wrong if I have a problem, so it is nice to get several opinions from here first.
geogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #24
dale50000
AF Newbie

Smile Re: ** Metro Forum Intro **

Hi.... Dale50000 here. Joined last week... I bought a 1985 Chevy Sprint in 1985 new.. sold it in 1985 because the trans was not lined up with the engine..Chevy said "TOO BAD". Bought a 1987 Chevy Sprint new in 1987 auto trans, drove it for 50000 miles. Bought a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick in 1995 with 14000 miles on it, still have it but selling it this week with 115000 miles on it. Bought a 1985 Chevy Sprint 2 months ago with 113500 miles on it for $250.00. Replaced the cylinder head on it [the man who sold it to me had that cylinder head re-done].. Did the normal new parts on the rebuild. Got it running and it had oil leak from front of the engine, crankshaft oil seal bad and NO camshaft oil seal in the cylinder head.......... put new seals in and it runs great, passed the emissions test 1st time. I live in Everett WA and if any members from around here, stop by and say HI..............................
dale50000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:00 AM   #25
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Fun idea Kaotik - I like it.

My name's Matt and I'm 20 years old. Full time automotive technician part time college student majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I work solo for a blood laboratory as a fleet technician for 23-26 of these metros - I've lost count, boss is always buying more! I worked for Toyota for six months but left (stupidly I might add) for political reasons. I am ASE certified A1 Engine repair, A5 Brakes, A6 electrical/electronic systems and A8 Engine performance. I own a '93 metro 3 door 3-cyl 5spd and a '96 Caprice LT1 with the police package (9c1). I try to contribute here quite a bit so you'll probably see me around if you haven't already. You'll also see me at the impalassforum under the moniker "96interceptor."

-MechanicMatt

1993 Geo Metro - Accident

1991 Caprice 9c1 - Destroyed

91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #26
FreDNesS
AF Newbie

My name is Fred. I'm 32 and live in Las Vegas. I own a 1994 Geo Metro XFi that I bought for $500 bucks about 4 months ago. Since then I have had a valve job done to it and it runs great. I drive to California about 2 times a month in it to visit my daughter and it doesn't give any sign of quitting anytime soon. It averages about 48 mpgs also. I have fallen in love with my Metro except the fact that I don't have A/C and it's summertime in Vegas. I love this forum and I check out the new threads almost every night. One day I will post a picture up of my Metro. Take care and good luck to all.
FreDNesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #27
DanMan7
AF Regular

Hey everyone. I've owned a Geo Metro since 9-11-06 (it was luck that I actually bought the car on that date). I bought it at a towing yard for $500. It had a very dirty interior, peeling tint on the back windows, no hatch lock, bad clutch, and had two bad cylinders. However, still started right up and ran fine.

Since I bought it, I've done a LOT of work to it. Before I really did any work, I went and got it smogged, passed after I got the timing right. It PASSED with only one good cylinder...LOL. Car got average 28mpg back then.

Since that, I put in a newer JDM engine with only 24k miles on the engine. Also put in a brand new clutch. Mud flaps, seat covers, matching locks all around the Geo with just one key opening everything, driver side handle, front bra for the Geo, fog/driving lights, stereo system (cheap one for now but works great), all new engine sensors, new struts/strut mounts/strut boots, new tires/rims, among other stuff! It runs great now. Drove it about 2500 miles so far with the new engine and no problems, doesn't use any oil, doesn't leak any oil, doesn't use any antifreeze either. Everytime I fill the gas tank it cost me under $20, which is just awesome. On long trips the car gets between 52mpg and 55mpg. On in-city driving mostly, it gets about 40mpg. That's just about the same milage a Prius gets, but the car was MUCH cheaper, lol.

I got plans for the future for the little car. One BIG plus is that there is pretty much no rust at all on the whole car, even the undercarriage. That's always really good. Tells me the car should last a long time still. The driver door has a fairly good sized dent, that I'm still going to have a few places quote me on how much to fix it. I had one quote so far, about $900 to fix the one dent. There are a lot of other places though, other than body shops, that specialize in dents. If I get 4-5 more quotes and they say it would cost just as much to fix the dent, then I'll just replace the entire door for another one at PicknPull for about $50. After I get that dent fixed, that's the only dent on the entire car. I wanna get the car repainted. I'm gonna get the roof painted white, and the rest of the car painted a blue-ish color..so it looks like a Mini Cooper, but a car that only cost me altogether, with an unlimited warranty paint job, under $4000. Well worth it IMHO.

One more thing to add. Before this little car, I had a 92 Ford Festiva, that I had customized as well. However, I don't think they look as sporty as Geos do. Also, Geos, I think, seem to provide larger wheel wells for larger wheels than Festivas do. AND they get better gas mileage. I only got about 50mpg on long trips in my Festiva.

I'm gonna sell my 2001 Camaro in a month or so. Don't really need it, since I got my Geo, and I use that as my daily commuter. Other than that, I have a 1973 Ford F250 that gets 10mpg, but I love that truck. Owned it for about two years now, and it's smog exempt, so I plan on keeping the truck for maybe ten years.

As for the Geo, don't plan on selling it anytime soon...at least not for 5-10 years, if it keeps going.

Used to own: 1992 Geo Metro with 161k on body and tranny, 27k on JDM engine.
DanMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro