Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
JCCR
AF Enthusiast

Z32tt Down Pipes????

Is it necessary to drop the trany to install a set of down pipes or is there another way around it??
Also, my emissions valve is out( the one below the throtle body on driver side) does anybody knows if these affects performance on my Z?
JCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

It is possible to pull the pre-cats and install downpipes if you drop the transmission but its a fking pain in the ass. They are wedged right up against the firewall and getting the top two bolts on either pre-cat will take some time. Here is a FAQ on gutting pre-cats, put the first part talks about removing them.

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/precatstech.html

The only thing I can find that would be under the drivers side throttle body that you speak of is the PRVR control solenoid. The Pressure regulator vacuum relief thingamabob sends a vacuum signal to the pressure regulator. When the ECM sends a "ON" signal it cuts the vacuum signal.

That means when running, the PRVR sends a vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator, letting the return line flow at will. When starting it allows atmospheric pressure (about 15 psi) back to the fuel regulator, momentarily (about 30 secs long) restricting the fuel return line to decreased flow, which increases the fuel pressure in the injection system for those 30 seconds. This allows for smoother startup.

That should be what you are talking about. I think I remember you saying you had a Non-turbo. On the turbo the PRVR is over by the master cylinder. If you have a TT model then the only thing really thats under the drivers side throttle body is the waste gate control valve. If it was removed, your drivers side turbo would be running with an open waste gate all the time. This is provided everything is stock.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.

Last edited by Broke_as_****; 07-17-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:42 PM   #3
westpak
AF Regular

Re: Z32tt Down Pipes????

It is possible, the passengers side is the bad one if I remember right and the drivers is easier.
03 350Z 401 RWHP GREDDY TT KIT / HyperGround System / Fujitsubo Legalis R Exhaust / Japtrix Y-Pipe / Kinetix Test Pipes / Nismo Swaybars & Flywheel / Eibach Springs / Front Brembo Brakes / Xdrilled-Slotted Rotors / RAYS Track Wheels / Clear Side Markers / Nismo Style Wing

90 300ZX TT 315 RWHP / Eibach Springs/ST Swaybars/Carbing Strut Bars/JWT Intake/Down Pipes/Japtrix Test Pipes & catback

South Florida Z Car Club
westpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:56 PM   #4
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

But really, compared to alot of things you are going to do if you want that killer Z (like cams and vavle springs), dropping the transmission is just one step above changing a tire. Plus you can install a flywheel and upgrade the clutch at the same time. Since dropping the trans means removing the exhaust, you might as well upgrade that too. See how easy it is to get carried away with this?

*goes back to looking at $1900 inconel exhaust manifolds*

Old 07-17-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_****
Plus you can install a flywheel and upgrade the clutch at the same time. Since dropping the trans means removing the exhaust, you might as well upgrade that too. See how easy it is to get carried away with this?

*goes back to looking at $1900 inconel exhaust manifolds*
Haha stop being a bad influence on his finance. I always have to restrain myself from doing shit like that whenever I take anything off/apart, and people like you dont help the situation.

-Mike
MikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Yeah sorry about that but I just try to do as much as possible while everything is apart, saves on taking stuff apart more than it has to be.

A word to everyone reading: A stock Z in any form is more than enough to bring a smile to your face. Anything else is really not needed. We modify and tweak and tune because we want more. Its just greed. Try your best not to give into it. Because the first time you get a taste of a nuclear powered set of wheels...well...your life as you knew it is over. Your time, your money and your life in general is forfeit. But fear not. It is a pleasant hell.

Old 07-17-2004, 09:11 PM   #7
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

thank you broke, i will use those words of wisdom, at your permission, to toss at anyone who doubts the power of the ZX
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)