Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
markag6
AF Newbie

2002 Elantra GT Shift Knob (manual trans)

My girlfriend drives a 2002 Elantra GT with a manual trans and I was thinking about getting her a new shift knob and/or boot for Christmas. She bought the car used a year ago and everything was in great condition except for the shift knob and boot. The vinyl is peeling a bit and some of the trim on the top of the knob is chipped off.

I would like to get an OEM replacement boot. For the knob, she has always talked about getting a pink knob for her car (girlie - yes, but it is her car), or at least getting an OEM replacement knob. She doesn't like the aluminum or chrome knobs styled knobs, I asked. I tried suggesting that to her instead of pink, but she thinks they would be ugly with her all black interior.

Trouble is, It is extremely hard to find either a boot or shift knob for her car online. I can find some knobs for the
Tiburon but hardly anything for the Elantra. Would those Tiburon knobs be compatable? Does anyone have any information to point me in the right direction for either a shift knob or boot? Any help would be grealtly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
markag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
markag6
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Elantra GT Shift Knob (manual trans)

Well, I did more internet searching today and managed to find what I was looking for.

I ended up finding replacement OEM boots and shift knobs at this site:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...16&catalogid=2

Funny thing is, I couldn't seem to find this site using the standard built in features of the parent site. I just got lucky that google found it for me.

I ordered an OEM replacement shift knob from the site above, but I ordered a custom shift boot from this site:
http://www.shiftstyle.com/

Because I was not able to find her a pink shift knob like she wanted, I got her a nice custom leather shift boot instead to replace the flaky vinyl stock boot.

I'll have to see how the quality is once the parts arrive, but I have high expectations. Then it will be a matter of figuring out how to install the new items. I'm assuming the knob is threaded so that I can just screw it off. I'm not sure how I'm going to remove the boot. It will be fun none the less.

Mark
markag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
peachferrari
AF Regular

Re: 2002 Elantra GT Shift Knob (manual trans)

Well, glad you found what you wanted. Yes, the knob just screws on, so no problem there. You'll just have to figure out how to get the surround piece up, which shouldn't be too hard. On my '99 it is just held on with clips, so you just pull it up.

BTW, the Tiburon knobs would fit just fine, the threads are the same. Not that it helps now anyway but. . . .

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante