Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Apfire8
AF Newbie

Exclamation Fuel pump our relay

I have a 94' Mercury Villager that I had sitting for 3 years, it was running when parked. I replaced the starter that went bad from sitting. The car does turn over but not start so I sprayed starting fluid in air box and it ran fine. I couldn't get it to run on its own. I removed fuel line from engine and no fuel. I did find a burnt fuse for fuel pump replaced it and still no fuel coming out of fuel line. Fuel pump I believe is in fuel tank but I don't hear any sound from fuel pump when key is on. Do these pumps go bad sitting? Is there a relay that this could be? Fuse is good, I checked several times after trying to start. Please help.
Apfire8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fuel pump our relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apfire8 View Post
I have a 94' Mercury Villager that I had sitting for 3 years, it was running when parked. I replaced the starter that went bad from sitting. The car does turn over but not start so I sprayed starting fluid in air box and it ran fine. I couldn't get it to run on its own. I removed fuel line from engine and no fuel. I did find a burnt fuse for fuel pump replaced it and still no fuel coming out of fuel line. Fuel pump I believe is in fuel tank but I don't hear any sound from fuel pump when key is on. Do these pumps go bad sitting? Is there a relay that this could be? Fuse is good, I checked several times after trying to start. Please help.
Here is a link that has info on fuel system, location of fuel pump relay.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8CPbTME...%20Systems.pdf

If the fuse was blown there is a chance of a short in the wire for the fuel pump, if it sat for 3 years the mice may have done some damage to wiring. See if you have voltage at the fuel pump relay. If the pump worked before parking it should work now. You should hear the fuel pump run for 5 seconds when ignition switch is turned to run position,
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote