Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Tribute
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
marky_mark
AF Newbie

Gas pedal sticks when accelerating from dead stop

I have a 2003 Tribute LX V6 AWD with 27K miles. No problems so far, except for an annoying thing with the gas pedal:

From a dead stop if I step on the gas, it will stick more than I expect. So much that I have to give it enough pressure with my foot that it causes the Tribute to lunge forward. This is very unnerving when I'm trying to ease the Tribute into the garage. While moving it's not a problem.

Anyone else have this problem? I've seen one other post on another message board in regards to this problem on an '03.

Thanks!

Mark D.
marky_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
burl
AF Newbie

Same,same

My wife has the same vehicle, same problem. Took it back to the dealer, it was better for a couple weeks, back to sticky after. I guess just a typical problem. Overall a good vehicle, though.
burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #3
TomV
AF Regular

My 2002 has the same problem. When I recently informed the dealer about this the young kid behind the counter stated that this was 'within the tolerance for this vehicle'. I did not have the time to get into a pissing contest with him about it at that time. However I will bring it back in the near future for normal maintenance work and I will be a bit more forceful about it then. There is no reason for this sticky pedal. I have been driving for over 30 years and have never encountered such a problem.

I was told it was related to the double spring in the throttle mechanism. I have not investigated it since then but I think it will be easy enough to diagnose. I thougth most cars have these double springs, shouldn't be a problem.
TomV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
rexygirl
AF Newbie

Re: Gas pedal sticks when accelerating from dead stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomV
My 2002 has the same problem. When I recently informed the dealer about this the young kid behind the counter stated that this was 'within the tolerance for this vehicle'. I did not have the time to get into a pissing contest with him about it at that time. However I will bring it back in the near future for normal maintenance work and I will be a bit more forceful about it then. There is no reason for this sticky pedal. I have been driving for over 30 years and have never encountered such a problem.

I was told it was related to the double spring in the throttle mechanism. I have not investigated it since then but I think it will be easy enough to diagnose. I thougth most cars have these double springs, shouldn't be a problem.

This is now currently a recall I believe. Contact your Local Mazda dealer with your FULL Vin # and they can see if it applies to your car. I think it also applies to Ford Explorer Sports. (Same car)
rexygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:47 AM   #5
mazdatech
AF Enthusiast

you need to have your thottle boby cleaned .....carbon buildup same thing happens with the mpv
mazdatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
TomV
AF Regular

Rexygirl is correct about the recall. I received mine in January and had the car in the shop ASAP. The throttle cable was replaced and now the car responds normally to the pedal.

The recall wording indicates that the symptom is that of the throttle not retracting fully when the pedal is released. The symptom described on this message board indicates the opposite can also occur.
TomV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Fresca
AF Newbie

My 2003 LX V6 had the same problem...very annoying and much head jerking....fortunately I took the complaint in and its been fixed....
Fresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Frank STL
AF Newbie

This was a recall. - I still havent taken my 03 in- because it doesnt stick. But it can be dangerous if you have to come to a quick stop and the throttle linkage stays open. I have seen this on a ford escape, and it seems like the return spring on the linkage is what goes bad. Looks pretty unsafe
Frank STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
Ncgreasemonkey
AF Newbie

While that recall may apply to your particular sticking issue, I'd like to note two things, one of which has been adressed. If your vehicle is a 3.0 liter,
more than likely it'll need a top engine clean/fuel system clean, pretty standard with these tributes. (almost as common as the continentals and thier roaring noises and uneven wear) If the vehicle is a four cylinder, however, I've noted that the problem is usually internal to the throttle body, and an FSC generally doesn't fix the sticking. In that instance, a new throttle body will need to be installed.
Ncgreasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
mazdatekchubyninja
AF Regular

there is a throttle cable recall or tsb for it, but the problem will reoccur.
just remove the intake air boot and clean the butterfly plate in the throttle body. takes about 5 min will last for months.
mazdatekchubyninja is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Tribute