Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > S-Class
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
89IROC&RS
AF Fanatic

Noob questions regarding 80's diesel mercedes

Hello all, Im trying to research as much as i can about the older 190D, 240D, and 300D mercedes diesels from the 80's before i seriously think about buying one. Just to get it out of the way, i am looking to do a WVO conversion, and running biodiesel, but those are questions for another time, im more concerned about the car itself at this point. My questions are...

-2 door vs 4 door, does it matter? i would prefer a 2 door, for my personal taste and i assume they weigh less, which would effect speed, handling, and mileage, or at least i assume so.

-How easy/hard are these cars to work on and maintain? I am an experienced chevrolet mechanic, and work on all my own cars, but have never spun a wrench on a MB.

-In regard to the models made in the 80's, which is more desireable, the automatic or manual transmissions? in terms of reliability, and fuel mileage.

-which engine is the most desireable? is the 4 cylender really that much of a slug? do i really want the 5 cylinder? do i want a n/a engine or a turbo engine? obviously the turbo will increase power, but does it negatively effect mileage? and does it effect reliability?

-RUST!! where to look for it, how much of a problem is it?

-and this one is just curiosity, but aftermarket parts, mainly steering wheels (id love a wood rim steel spoke wheel) and tasteful, good looking rims.

- other than that, any other quirks or pitfalls, or things to look for when shopping for one of these vehicles. any and all advice and information is greatly appriciated.

Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68052
89IROC&RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
sl65amg
AF Newbie

Re: Noob questions regarding 80's diesel mercedes

Well the best MB diesel engine is without a dought the 5 cylender. If you like the 2 doors then go for a 300CD 5 cylender turbo. Even with the auto tranny its got good power and nice pick up. As for rust, other than what you see, you must look at the floors,thats the weak spot. My dads got an 81' 300Sd and has about 800 000KM on it and its still going strong.

As for parts,I got a warehouse full of MB used parts,I'm a MB recycler.
sl65amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Idcelr8
AF Newbie

Be advised that all the diesel cars from this era have mechanical valves that require adjustment from time to time. There are special tools for this that make the job a lot easier.

Look for rust in the trunk area as the rubber seals around the taillights crack and water will seep into the trunk. This is pretty common.

I doubt you will find many manual transmissions out there. The autos have a weak point in what is called the B4 valve which is not hard to replace but is something you should know about.

Watch out for the servo controlled climate control. I think these were on the 300D and 300CD up to 1982. The servo is VERY complicated to repair and is also very costly to replace. You could almost convert it to manual A/C control easier if the system needs repair.

Besides that: Go for it. You will never want to drive anything else!

Idcelr8
Idcelr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Webluxor.com
AF Newbie

Watch out for the servo controlled climate control. I think these were on the 300D and 300CD up to 1982.

Webluxor.com web luxor (860)-865-0246
Webluxor.com is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > S-Class