Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
gungho
AF Newbie

Another tranny problem

99 isuzu rodeo 3.2L

I was going to the parts store to get something for my vehicle when I noticed that when slowing down from 30mph the tranny was downshifting really hard. You could feel the tranny clunking into the next lower gear. It seems to upshift fine. So I pulled over in a parking lot and checked the tranny level, it was good, but the fluid is pretty burnt. Then as soon as it was warm, it stopped downshifting hard. I'm taking it to a tranny shop on monday to get the tranny flushed. I just was wondering if there was anybody that could give me an idea about what could be wrong.

I don't know if it matters, but I just put intake gaskets in it yesterday. I didn't notice any funny shifting after I got done. Thanks for any advice
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
pharm_rodeo
AF Regular

Re: Another tranny problem

So you checked the fluid level by opening the fill bolt on the main pan?

Have you done any searching on tranny issues on the boards? All the initial advice is the same. We can't really give better advice w/o tranny maintenance history, mileage on the truck, or any troubleshooting you or a shop may have already done.

I suggest reading the FAQ's, doing a search for transmission problems, and why you shouldnt get a tranny flush.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
gungho
AF Newbie

It seems that people on here like to treat everyone like an idiot. Yes I checked the tranny level by the pan. This forum is where I learned to check the tranny level. I did do my research on here, and i found no similar problem on the boards. I've read through the FAQ about why I shouldn't shouldn't flush the fluid, which is why I'm taking the vehicle to the tranny shop to get the maintenance done. If they tell me I probably shouldn't get it flushed and should just get it rebuilt, then so be it. There ain't much to troubleshoot if you know that the problem is internal, other then check fluid level and condition.

I just bought the vehicle has 106K on it. I don't know the maintenance that has been done to the tranny(must not have been much done to it if the fluid is burnt, pretty obvious)

I know if it was my vehicle the tranny gets flushed every 6 months, oil changed every 3000, tires rotated every 6000. The usual stuff that you should do to avoid costly repairs

Ok so i'm going to ask the question again. Does anybody have any useful advice as to what the problem might be, before I spend a bunch of money?

73 F250 390 motor-in the middle of a ground up rebuild

99 isuzu rodeo-my PIA so far
3.2L 106,000
Old 03-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

I think all you are feeling is called grade logic. This tranny when slowing down or going down a hill will down shift and will try to hold the speed constant while going down a hill.

" I believe the Grade Logic is a means that the tranny senses you are going downhill and applies some engine braking as you would by downshifting a manual tranny. Many automatic transmissions would pretty much just freewheel going downhill and allow your vehicle to gain speed and to slow down that acceleration you would need to either downshift or use the brakes.

I have felt this engine/transmission braking a number of times on a downhill slope. "

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir.../.eea1204/3185

The only other thing I can suggest doing, is dropping the pan, changing the filter, top it off and pour in some tranny stop slip or some other tranny help in a bottle. Also it wouldn't hurt to clean out the range sensor, which sometimes causes the tranny to shift harshly (see the faq's for the how to on it).

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq59

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Gungho...please don't take Pharm Rodeo's line of questioning defensively, he only asked the question because not many people would have the tools necessarily on them or the desire to lay on their back underneith a running truck along side a parking lot to double check their ATF level. And, there have been some very intelligent and mechanically smart individuals/mechanics I have met through the years that had NO idea how to check the atf level on a transmission with no dipstick.

By no means are we aiming to treat people like they don't know what they're talking about, only trying to prevent problems/situations from getting worse if we have a general idea where the situation could lead.

In regards to your situation, I'd drop the main tranny pan, change the filter, and install 5 qts of new fluid and see where that leads you.

I would not flush that tranny period, not with fluid that old currently in it, could cause a host of issues.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
gungho
AF Newbie

I didn't mean to get defensive. Just getting irritated.

I've had really bad luck with transmissions lately. I just had to put a $5000 dollar tranny in my diesel because.... well i don't really know, it just quit going forward. Then I was driving my old pickup around, and it decided that it was time to quit going in reverse(only cost about 600 to rebuild that one, and needed it anyway). I just don't really want to spend 3500 on another tranny rebuild, kinda getting expensive. And the only reason I bought this vehicle is so that I had some transportation while my diesel was getting fixed.(i'm actually falling in love with my isuzu though)

I guess i'll just put a filter in it with new fluid for now. I've gotta make a 2,000 mile trip here shortly, I don't want to be sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck is all.

3.2L 106,000
Old 03-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #7
pharm_rodeo
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Fever
Gungho...please don't take Pharm Rodeo's line of questioning defensively, he only asked the question because not many people would have the tools necessarily on them or the desire to lay on their back underneith a running truck along side a parking lot to double check their ATF level. And, there have been some very intelligent and mechanically smart individuals/mechanics I have met through the years that had NO idea how to check the atf level on a transmission with no dipstick.
I've only been here two years and you can read my mind lol.

Gungho,

The other guys are a bit more patient than me in their golden years so forgive my "aggressive" nature.

It's hard to help diagnose a problem with the tranny unless you've done some troubleshooting at home i.e checking the fluid level, dropping the main pan to check the condition of fluid (also to check the debris sitting at the bottom), cleaning range selector, and checking voltage. Those are simple DIY tasks that can save you a lot of money. Once you've done those things we can start brainstorming about other things you can do to help resolve your problem. At this point you don't know if it is truly an internal problem.

TIP: Use a Pioneer filter kit (comes with gasket) when you drop the pan. You can get it at Advance or O'Reilly's. The gasket with this kit is of good quality. Also you might want to drop the adaptor assembly pan (smaller pan in front of the main pan) since it does get dirty in there. You won't be able to buy that pan gasket at a big box store. You can buy it online or at a dealer.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
gungho
AF Newbie

I'll clean the range selector and change filter tomorrow. I'll also check the voltage output of the alt.

The pan in the front just covers the TC doesn't it? Nothing should come out if I take that pan off.

3.2L 106,000
Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

A quart of fluid WILL come out of the small pan, AND you must replace a quart of fluid IN that pan before reinstalling it. It can be a bugger....but yes, that little pan can get nasty too.

Your alt should read nothing less then 14V while UNDER a load, i.e. heater/radio and anything else on that you can think of. If it reads anything less it's failing and thus causing the tranny to run ineffectively.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

It might be worth cleaning up any ground points from the battery to the body to (I know there is one that goes to the alt bracket).

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
gungho
AF Newbie

Well I got the filter changed, and also cleaned the range selector. There was hardly any metal in the pan, just a little on the magnet. The range selector looked like it had 106,000 on it. Alternator output was 13.8v under load, so I don't think that low voltage is a problem. Cleaned up grounds on battery, motor, and body(couldn't find a frame ground). Also straightened the oil pan out before I put it back on. When I took it for a test drive, it shifted smoother, with no rough downshift. I guess I was just over reacting a little bit. Is there anyway that you can put pictures in your profile? Kind of a PIA doing it this way. By the way Thanks for the advice

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...2-afaaea464b73

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...c-a6f5f413439e

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...e-0ea61879b78e

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...6-4af55259044b

3.2L 106,000
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
FL 3.2L
AF Enthusiast

I can't view the pictures. I use photobucket to host my pics. Glad the tranny is better!
'02 VW Cabrio 70K
'03 E46 107K
FL 3.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
gungho
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL 3.2L
I can't view the pictures. I use photobucket to host my pics. Glad the tranny is better!
Here try this:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...lpanmagnet.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...annyoilpan.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...geselector.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...eselector1.jpg

3.2L 106,000
Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
FL 3.2L
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, the pan doesn't look as bad as I would have imagined. I think I have more debris in my pan and I change the filter and gasket and most fluid every 30K.
'02 VW Cabrio 70K
'03 E46 107K
FL 3.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:11 PM   #15
Mission Man
AF Newbie

So would a dirty range selector have anything to do with a tranny not shifting into 3rd or 4th? It starts out great, shifts one time and when you reach about 45 miles/hr it quits pulling and acts like it's in neutral till you slow back down below 45.
Mission Man is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU