Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > TT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
crayzayjay
CFA

New> Audi TT 3.2 quattro

The Audi TT has just gained the R32 Golf's 3.2l V6 engine, which develops 250bhp. The transmission is completely new, a racing technology named DSG, which apparently combines all the benefits of a manual 6-speed box and an auto... how many times have we heard that about a semi-auto that goes on to severely disappoint?

i still have one bone to pick with TT's. theyre girls cars. ive only ever seen one driven hard, and that was yesterday, it shocked me completely... the car looked nice being caned relative to how i usually see it, i.e. cruising down the road at 20mph... even if this 250bhp version will be a genuinely good driver's car, it will be driven by the same people, i.e. women and ahem.... you know
Old 12-02-2002, 10:10 PM   #2
Vertigo
AF Regular

I wouldn't go over to audiworld.com with talk like that. Actually I know several men that own TTs and drive the hell out em. I hope the new TT is a real drivers car, the design is wondeful and if it had performance to match it might give the boxster a run for its money.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:55 AM   #3
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Re: New> Audi TT 3.2 quattro

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
i still have one bone to pick with TT's. theyre girls cars.
Amazing that you think its a girly car, since the majority of US ownership is by male auto enthusiasts, with some women that fall in the group. It is also a dominatly male owned car in europe, so your statement is flawed. However, your statement may become true when the 2003 180 fwd Auto version is sold.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:57 AM   #4
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Vertigo
I wouldn't go over to audiworld.com with talk like that. Actually I know several men that own TTs and drive the hell out em. I hope the new TT is a real drivers car, the design is wondeful and if it had performance to match it might give the boxster a run for its money.
And the current TT isnt a drivers car? Its an exceptional touring car (drivers car), whichg ives you a lot of refined pleasure for the money..and keeping up with a boxter is a piece of cake; on the road or in interior excellence.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:00 PM   #5
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Originally posted by Vertigo
Why? Is someone gonna beat me up for stating my opinion? Calm down, man, i posted my opinion, so its criticism, so what? Did i come here and abuse anyone? No. So respect my opinion. This is a car forum. People are gonna disagree. Dont force your views on anyone or bully someone out of saying something.

What i said is what i have reason to believe is the truth. Where i live, London, the majority of TT drivers are women, or Kings Road ponces. It might give a Boxster a run for its money on a straight, but when it comes to the twisties the difference is astounding. The Boxster is a perfectly balanced mid-engined, fully-fledged sports car with exceptional handling and incredible steering feedback. The TT lags significantly behind in the majority of these points and is an ideal poseur's car. Im not saying Boxster owners arent poseurs, im sure the majority is, as is the case with most sports cars, but if the owner is a fanatic, its nice to know his car can do something the TT never will.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:02 PM   #6
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: New> Audi TT 3.2 quattro

Quote:
Originally posted by quattroadvantage

Amazing that you think its a girly car, since the majority of US ownership is by male auto enthusiasts, with some women that fall in the group. It is also a dominatly male owned car in europe, so your statement is flawed. However, your statement may become true when the 2003 180 fwd Auto version is sold.
Whether its owned by men or women, i happen to think its a very feminine car, and the ownership around here reflects that.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:05 PM   #7
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:

And the current TT isnt a drivers car? Its an exceptional touring car (drivers car), whichg ives you a lot of refined pleasure for the money..and keeping up with a boxter is a piece of cake; on the road or in interior excellence.
No, the TT is far from a driver's car. You said it yourself. Touring car. Like a Grand Tourer. Like a Jaguar. Not like a drivers car. Not a thrills by the bucket car.

Dont get me wrong, i dig the styling, its just feminine, i think its hard to argue with that. The SLK also has a feminine shape and its gorgeous, so saying that is not the end of the world. And yeah, youre right the interior leaves a lot to be desired of the Porsche, but when it comes to choosing between the two i wouldnt bat an eyelid and go for the Porsche. Even the first, slightly underpowered 205bhp one. Throw in the Boxster S (pre or post revision) and its a complete no-contest. Unless you want to cruise, in which case i'd take the TT... Then again, maybe not.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:22 PM   #8
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Quote:

No, the TT is far from a driver's car. You said it yourself. Touring car. Like a Grand Tourer. Like a Jaguar. Not like a drivers car. Not a thrills by the bucket car.

Dont get me wrong, i dig the styling, its just feminine, i think its hard to argue with that. The SLK also has a feminine shape and its gorgeous, so saying that is not the end of the world. And yeah, youre right the interior leaves a lot to be desired of the Porsche, but when it comes to choosing between the two i wouldnt bat an eyelid and go for the Porsche. Even the first, slightly underpowered 205bhp one. Throw in the Boxster S (pre or post revision) and its a complete no-contest. Unless you want to cruise, in which case i'd take the TT... Then again, maybe not.
What's funny about this idiotic boxter/tt comparison is that the TT has proven time again and again to hold its own against the boxter in the straights and turns..boxter is nice..but as they say..its not a real porsche!

I guess the only factual statement being made towards the TT and feminemity are the ones issued in the Auto Polls done in England about which car makes a man sexy....and the lead car was the TT..of course, those were brititsh gals who answered and we all know how they are..
Old 12-04-2002, 06:59 PM   #9
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:

What's funny about this idiotic boxter/tt comparison is that the TT has proven time again and again to hold its own against the boxter in the straights and turns..boxter is nice..but as they say..its not a real porsche!
youre right, its idiotic to pit a great drivers car against a soft cruiser... TT may just about keep up in a straight line but my friend you are deluded if you think it can stick with a Boxster through the twists. The Boxster you see, is a true sports car. The TT appears to be one too until you start pushing it, when it starts to get out of shape and instils no confidence in the driver, the exact opposite of the Porsche. To say the Boxster isnt a true Porsche shows how little you know about the matter.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:17 AM   #10
Nap11TL
AF Newbie

Well to back up Crayzayjay. I think a car is not made femine by the company but when you start to se more and more girls driving them. I was gonna get a 350Z untill I started seeing more and more girls driving it. The Z is by far not a girls car. But in my mind it is b/c of the dozen or so Z's I've seen on the road. Only 3or4 of them were drivin by men. As per performance of the TT vs Boxster I think I'd take the boxster. But I'd rather wait on the comparission till the new TT with engine upgrades is released. I honestly like the Audi right now ahead of the TT b/c of the Quatro it makes it a lil more useful for me when the weather gets nasty. plus you have a very nice looing car.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:03 PM   #11
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Quote:

youre right, its idiotic to pit a great drivers car against a soft cruiser... TT may just about keep up in a straight line but my friend you are deluded if you think it can stick with a Boxster through the twists. The Boxster you see, is a true sports car. The TT appears to be one too until you start pushing it, when it starts to get out of shape and instils no confidence in the driver, the exact opposite of the Porsche. To say the Boxster isnt a true Porsche shows how little you know about the matter.
The TT is far from a soft cruiser, and when its pushed, with ESP off, it handles emmensly well against the boxter, it does not get out of shape, its quattro system kicks in and allows you to manuver in the tightest turns without error. I speak from personal experience as well as observation of several road rally's and contest...for example the TT that won the European rally against a Porsche.

As far as the boxter not being a true porsche, I only say that as its a statement well versed by true porsche owners.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:12 AM   #12
crayzayjay
CFA

OK so im not going to be able to change your mind.. but tell me why is the TT never included in tests against sports cars? and why is the Boxster pitted against cars with twice the power, such as TVR's, which let me guess you think arent true drivers' cars? Ill tell you why. Because the TT is a pretty car, but far from a drivers car. the 4wd setup leads to understeer and steering feedback is poor, and thats being kind. the boxtser on the other hand is a terrific sports car, one of the best handling and enjoyable drives of the decade.. not to call it a true porsche underlines one's ignorance. porsche makes terrific sports cars. whilst the original Boxtser (2.5) was a little lacking in power, it was certainly a great sports car. the tt is far from it; i havent seen or read anyone putting their head on the block and calling it a drivers car. you know why? cos theyd be wrong
Old 12-18-2002, 01:03 PM   #13
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Quote:
OK so im not going to be able to change your mind.. but tell me why is the TT never included in tests against sports cars? and why is the Boxster pitted against cars with twice the power, such as TVR's, which let me guess you think arent true drivers' cars? Ill tell you why. Because the TT is a pretty car, but far from a drivers car. the 4wd setup leads to understeer and steering feedback is poor, and thats being kind. the boxtser on the other hand is a terrific sports car, one of the best handling and enjoyable drives of the decade.. not to call it a true porsche underlines one's ignorance. porsche makes terrific sports cars. whilst the original Boxtser (2.5) was a little lacking in power, it was certainly a great sports car. the tt is far from it; i havent seen or read anyone putting their head on the block and calling it a drivers car. you know why? cos theyd be wrong
Intersting that you would think that, but of course I am guessing you are speaking from personal knowledge of all car tests/reports. Seems to me, most car mags still compare the newest fad car witht eh TT and in tests as well, not to mention when the TT was the newest kid on the block, it was constantly tested against other "sport" cars, including the boxter for those years and the TT came ahead. Amazing how to this day, revierers and testers will still reference the TT as a comparison when its not even in the tests. They seem to use it as a marked vehicle for comparison. But yet yoru right, the Boxter is a true porsche....try telling that to 911 owners who will laugh and scoff at you..as they scratch their heads in bewilderment trying to figure out how a non sports car (TT) as you labled it, beat several 911's and boxters leading to it winning the european sports car rally. Not bad for a "non drivers car".
Old 01-13-2003, 08:25 AM   #14
crayzayjay
CFA

i dont know what car magazines you read pal but ive never come across a single one that rates the TT higher than a 3-series coupe, let alone a Boxster or 911. And that includes American, English and French magazines that i regularly read... the fact is it is praised for its looks and heavily criticised for the way it goes. no handling finesse, no feel, no involvement. thats not a drivers car. drive a Boxtser or 911 and you feel everything, its unreal, its not even a close comparison. carry on living in your dream world. just cos Pug 206 is a great rally car it doesnt mean the road version is any good at being a drivers car, which trust me it really isnt. you cant introduce factors like that im afraid.

oh and btw, 911 owners who dont rate the Boxster as a true porsche have their head too far up their own ass. The Boxster remains one of the best balanced cars of all time and a fantastic drive.. engine sounds great too, just like the Audi TT... no wait, the TT is mute... sorry
Old 01-13-2003, 11:09 AM   #15
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Quote:
i dont know what car magazines you read pal but ive never come across a single one that rates the TT higher than a 3-series coupe, let alone a Boxster or 911. And that includes American, English and French magazines that i regularly read... the fact is it is praised for its looks and heavily criticised for the way it goes. no handling finesse, no feel, no involvement. thats not a drivers car. drive a Boxtser or 911 and you feel everything, its unreal, its not even a close comparison. carry on living in your dream world. just cos Pug 206 is a great rally car it doesnt mean the road version is any good at being a drivers car, which trust me it really isnt. you cant introduce factors like that im afraid.

oh and btw, 911 owners who dont rate the Boxster as a true porsche have their head too far up their own ass. The Boxster remains one of the best balanced cars of all time and a fantastic drive.. engine sounds great too, just like the Audi TT... no wait, the TT is mute... sorry
Well you can go on with your opinions over and over again. I'm just stating what several mags have pointed out int he years past..including C&D, European Car, etc etc. Rated better then the Boxter when it first came out, then the almighty advertising dollar assited in contradicting write ups from these same revierwers. ANyhow, I've driven both..boxter and TT and well I chose the TT..it handled a lot better then the Boxter in all the curves, straightds and inclimental weather that could be thrown at me.