Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:42 PM   #1
lesabre
AF Newbie

Unhappy 3.8 coolant loss help

I have a 1997 buick lesabre with the 3.8 v6 (k) engine. It ran hot the other day and I could see white smoke on acceleration, but not everytime I accelerated. The oil does not have any water in it. But Water is getting on top of my pistions. I removed the plastic cover (throttle body?) from off the top of the intake. The top of the intake is full of water. Is this normal? Could it be head gaskets or intake gaskets? I am puzzled as to why water would be in this plastic cover. The acceleration linkage and air cleaner attaches to this cover. Any help you guys can give will be appreciated.
lesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:09 PM   #2
tman
Pimpin' ain't easy

Send a message via AIM to tman
I think your describing the upper intake manifold. It sounds like water is getting in through your inlet for air for the engine. Perhaps the air is humid, and was allowed to cool, releasing water. dry out your intake, air filter box, and connecting hoses, and see if they get wet again.

tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:01 PM   #3
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

Are you sure its not coolant?? Look closely at the large hole underneath near the throttle body! If it looks like it is melted than replace the whole intake, upper as well as the lower intake. The lower intake has a tube coming out of it which is the EGR passage. The heat in this tube melts the plastic intake. The new lower intake has a smaller size tube to prevent the melting.
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Flatrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
tman
Pimpin' ain't easy

Send a message via AIM to tman
I just changed the lower intake gaskets a month or so ago. Also replaced the thermostat and radiator hoses. I was proud of myself.

tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
reliant2
AF Newbie

Question coolant loss?

Am looking to buy a 97-99 Lesabre, I read somewhere that Buick/GM took steps to correct the potential coolant loss problem by using a metal intake rather than plastic so the potential melting problem is avoided?

Am I better off with a 99 or no?

Thanks
reliant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:36 PM   #6
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

A metal upper intake is new on the 2004 models only. No retrofit is made.

The melting of the intake was addressed in 1999, but they have new coolant leak concenrs with the 2000 to 2003 which is covered by a recall. No recall for pre 2000 models.
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Flatrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 12:29 AM   #7
QUADPAD
AF Newbie

Re: 3.8 coolant loss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesabre
I have a 1997 buick lesabre with the 3.8 v6 (k) engine. It ran hot the other day and I could see white smoke on acceleration, but not everytime I accelerated. The oil does not have any water in it. But Water is getting on top of my pistions. I removed the plastic cover (throttle body?) from off the top of the intake. The top of the intake is full of water. Is this normal? Could it be head gaskets or intake gaskets? I am puzzled as to why water would be in this plastic cover. The acceleration linkage and air cleaner attaches to this cover. Any help you guys can give will be appreciated.
MY WIFE'S CAR IS A 1999 BUICK LESABRE AND WAS USING COOLANT UP AND WE SAW NO LEAKS. I SUSPECTED AND INTERNAL LEAK. I TOOK IT IN AND THE UPPER PLENUM (AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD IS CRACKED BY THE EGR. THIS IS USUALLY A PROBLEM FOR THE 3.1 V6 ENGINES. OURS IS THE 3.8. GM SAID NO RECALLS PER DEALER LOOK-UP ON ITS SERVER TO GM. IT IS A PIECE OF PLASTIC! I WAS SHOCKED TO SEE A PLASTIC INTAKE MANIFOLD WELL THEY CALL IT UPPER PLENUM. IT HAS A LOWER FOR A HEAT SHIELD. WELL GOOD BAIT AND SWITCH ON A CAR THAT IS NOW CHEAPENED IN MY MIND. $1200.00 APPROX TO REPLACE BOTH UPPER AND LOWER, NEW PLATNUM PLUGS, SQIURT OIL IN CYLINDERS, A SHOT OF ETHER IN EACH, AND NEW OIL AND OIL FILTER.
THEN GET IT RUNNING AND CHECK COMPRESSION TO SEE IF CYLINDARS WERE RUINED BY GETTING WASHED DOWN.
GOOD LUCK AND PUT PRESSURE ON GM FOR A RECALL!!!
QUADPAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
Kurttb1
AF Newbie

1999 Buick LeSabre leaking coolant internally, misfiring on computer. Replaced ALL gaskets but not the plastic manifold plentum junk thing. (Car for Sale) Put back together and ran great for 2 minutes then filled back up with water, Water seen in different pistons and now water in the oil Pan. Need to win lottery or get help knowing what to do to fix this car.
Kurttb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
mrsboatdoc
AF Newbie

very same problem here also....plastic intake manifold cracked and allowed coolant and water to go out engine and exhaust....was 100 miles from home....1998 lasabre 3800 v6....total towing and replacing everything was around 600 bucks...this is a sleeper...they know about it.... bulletin #01-06-01-007A (7-18-2001) Doc ID 812024....need to get a class action suit going...i just read over 34 seperate post at another car place about the very same problem...

mrsboatdoc@yahoo.com
mrsboatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:45 PM   #10
Jed Rule
AF Enthusiast

I've worked for GM dealers for the last 27 years and owned only GM products but it seems that since the mid 1980's their quality has gone downhill. They will use less reliable parts if they can save $2, and when it breaks down after 36,000 miles they issue a service bullitin explaining the way it should have been manufactured the first time. The customer is responsible for the cost.
When you contact corporate headquarters they pass the buck back to the dealer.
I have the 3.8 engine and intend to change the upper manifold before it goes. Also see KenCo.com for a repair to the EGR port so you won't have to change the lower manifold to the new improved design.
Other than that I love my BUICK.
Jed Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
reliant2
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 3.8 coolant loss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsboatdoc
very same problem here also....plastic intake manifold cracked and allowed coolant and water to go out engine and exhaust....was 100 miles from home....1998 lasabre 3800 v6....total towing and replacing everything was around 600 bucks...this is a sleeper...they know about it.... bulletin #01-06-01-007A (7-18-2001) Doc ID 812024....need to get a class action suit going...i just read over 34 seperate post at another car place about the very same problem...

mrsboatdoc@yahoo.com

Traded my 2000 in with 41K on the clock, loved the ride, the power...other than that, the car was junk..rattles in the dash, squeak from the drivers seat, a bad steering gear, a bad tie rod, interior trim came off the door, the alternator going, I got out before the coolant issue reared it's ugly head. And the dealer told me all of these things were normal. Another quality GM product, the same folks who used the cheap tail gate support cables for their trucks...used to love GM..now i won't buy another one.
reliant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #12
jgeorg
AF Regular

Re: Re: 3.8 coolant loss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsboatdoc

mrsboatdoc@yahoo.com
Is this a problem on 90's as well?
jgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
xpress60
AF Newbie

I think it applies to GM products with the 3.8 litre "K" engine. On my 95 lesabre the 8th digit of the VIN is the engine code. If it is a "K" and you have the plastic upper intake check your EGR valve plumbing. The hot exhaust gas hose will melt the plastic intake. Also search the pontiac bonneville directory for coolant loss for more info. I am not sure which model years are affected by this.
xpress60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:31 PM   #14
Jed Rule
AF Enthusiast

Bulletin 01-06-01-007A refers to 3.8 engine vin K for the following models
1995 - 1997 Riviera
1995 - 1998 LeSabre, Park Ave, Bonneville, Eighty Eight
1996 - 1998 Regal
1998 Lumina, Monte Carlo, Intrigue
1997 - 1998 Grand Prix
1995 - 1996 Ninety Eight

The bulletin instructs you to replace BOTH the upper and lower manifolds. The kit from KenCo will save you replacing the lower. It's expensive for 2 little parts but saves you a lot of work. The dealer I got it from did not recommend the Dorman replacement manifold. They said it didn't last like the GM ones. (Once you eliminate the cause of the failure). I saw a Bonneville with only 60,000 that melted right thru to the coolant passage. Engine was locked solid. Had to take out the spark plugs to see if it would turn. The overflow jar was full but the radiator empty
Jed Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:37 PM   #15
doug99lesabre
AF Newbie

coolant loss

I just bought a 99 lesabre and had the same problem within 3 days. I have the car back at the dealer. I have done some research since and found that the problem is in the design of the plastic Plenum. They are not necessarily cracking, but there is an egr valve that slips into a hole in the plenum. The egr easily exceeds 500 degrees and eventually causes the hold to deteriorate. Close to this hole are water jackets that cool the top end of the engine. Pitting starts to occur and eventually lets coolant be drawn into the lower intake. This is because GM wanted to save .20 by not putting a metal sleve in the plenum. Ken-co has designed a fix for this, but will not sell to the public. You can call them to find a dealer near you that will sell it to you. Less than $50 if you can install it yourself. The good news is you only have to do it once. If you get it fixed at the dealer, expect to fix it again sometime after about 30K miles. I like the car and want it back, so I hope the dealer will make it right. Mine ended up with coolant throught the engine and it has to be torn completely down. I will try to let you know how it goes.

Doug
doug99lesabre is offline   Reply With Quote